Dr Mongkol - Jomtien - Another Rip Off

JimmyTheMook

So in my continued search for a good reliable walk in type of Doctor's clinic I just tried Dr Mongkol after reading about him here on Thai Visa.

His office is in the small U shaped complex near View Talay Condos across from the Pan Pan Pizza restaurant on Thapphayara Road.

For a case of strep throat w/ a bag of pills , the bill was 2500 baht ....

The first lesson in medical school used to be that a doctor's job was to humour the patient whilst nature cures the disease.

Things seem to have changed--now it seems that the rule is to take as much money as one can from the patient whilst nature cures the disease.Also send the patient home with as much unnecessary medication as possible.

I wonder if the Hippocratic oath exists in Thailand.

Just don't pay for the pills, buy 'em at a pharmacy. Doctor's fee can't be more than 400 baht which is the fee at Samitivej/Bumrungrad Bangkok. Not a difficult situation to deal with.

This is what I did but still walked out for close to 900 baht and this post is a word of warning to fellow Thai Visa members.

Bottom line is most hospitals here will also try to financially rape you when it comes to paying the bill.

It is a shame and if someone can recommend a decent clinic I'm all ears

Be careful going to Pattaya International. I always went there to see a doctor. Price was reasonable except the last time I went the cost was nearly 2,000 baht! When I asked why it was so much they said the doctor had charged 800 baht to see me. I explained the doctor's only ever charge between 200 and 400 but she said the doctors can charge anything they want and I have to pay! So it seems you se the doctor and then have to pay whatever he wants. Next time I go I will ask the doctor how much he charges before I even sit down. For all I know the doctor could say 5,000 baht and according to the hospital I would still have to pay it.

Chris

I've heard from friends in Pattaya that Dr. Olivier is good and very well known. Don't know anything about his pricing, but I've never heard an complaints. I think he's Swiss.

http://www.dr-olivier-clinic.com/

I used him quite often until he also tried to gouge me on the cost of medicines, so he lost a patient (more like a customer).

The fact is the medical environment here has gotten to be a blatant scam.

Just don't pay for the pills, buy 'em at a pharmacy. Doctor's fee can't be more than 400 baht which is the fee at Samitivej/Bumrungrad Bangkok. Not a difficult situation to deal with.

This is what I did but still walked out for close to 900 baht and this post is a word of warning to fellow Thai Visa members.

Bottom line is most hospitals here will also try to financially rape you when it comes to paying the bill.

It is a shame and if someone can recommend a decent clinic I'm all ears

If you really like to be ripped off, then feel free to go to a PRIVATE clinic or hospital.

I you want to pay decent prices, and probably meet the same doctor, go to a state hospital or university hospital.

Maybe you will have to wait longer, but I found that going around 13:00-14:00 gives you a good chance to see the doctor rather fast.

Had to shop around some, but I found a pharmacy that charges me the same as everybody (Thai).

Buying my medicines in that particular pharmacy cost me around 500 baht a month.

Nowadays I go to the university hospital in Khon Kaen, see the doctor, some checks & tests, 3 months medicines, 1950 baht.\

Total time spent 1:15.

Before that I visited RAM in Khon Kaen, for the same checks by the doctor, no tests and 3 months medicines the bill was 4600 baht. Ratchapruek hospital Khon Kaen charged me 3450 baht, and in both hospitals I had to wait 1,5-2 hours anyway.

Nice thing was that in RAM I met the same doctor as in the university hospital.

Last time I was checked by the professor, same price, spoke good English, and told me, if you want to pay much money, go to RAM, if you want the best treqatment, visit me over here.

Good advice.

Methinks you are not telling us the whole story. His charges are not at all unreasonable even for expensive statins and top of the line antibiotics and such so how a bag of strepsils can cost so much is beyond me.

For the last 5 years I've been using Dr. Sawadeepong, his clinic is almost next door to the old Best Western hotel on Soi Pratumnak heading from Jomtien to South Pattaya, close to the Camelot hotel. The cost is usually 300-500 Baht, depending on what medications he had to use. A few years back I was getting ear infections from the swimming pool, so I bought ear plugs from Boots specifically designed for swimming. These pushed the wax in my ears back onto the ear drum and left me totally deaf. It was kind of scary for a few hours, but I guessed what it was, so went to see Dr. Sawadeepong. He put in some liquid to soften the wax, and then about 20 minutes later a cute young nurse syringed my ears out with warm soapy water until they were clean. It was actually very pleasant, and cost 500 Baht.

For basic problems, he's fine, but for anything out of the ordinary or an emergency I would always go straight to a proper hospital.

how much would it cost in your own country? bt2500 is about the least you would pay for a visit to a doctor and medicine in most countries and also what many doctors at leading hospitals here would charge for same. If I was the Doctor and read what you wrote. I would sue you.

Edited by antony77

how much would it cost in your own country? bt2500 is about the least you would pay for a visit to a doctor and medicine in most countries and also what many doctors at leading hospitals here would charge for same. If I was the Doctor and read what you wrote. I would sue you.

It took 14 posts to get the if you don't like it go home guard to come in.

With a statement like that you must be a Harley Street Doctor !,......i think the op is from the uk ,and actually its free to see the doctor and medicines/prescriptions are fixed price,,and yes if what hes writtin is correct he was ripped off, but TIT,so nothing new there then,. .

:):D:D

It's not a case of 'go home' it's a case of the OP saying the good doctor is a quack. The good doctor is certainly not and has grounds for suing the OP for a derogatory statement regarding his qualifications.

Random House Dictionary describes a "quack" as a "fraudulent or ignorant pretender to medical skill" or "a person who pretends, professionally or publicly, to have skill, knowledge, or qualifications he or she does not possess; a charlatan."

So OP be warned.

The OP has requested that the topic be closed due to liability issues. The OP was edited and has thus altered the nature of the thread. Nested quotes with the questionable material have been deleted.

Topic closed.