Lost Passport Means Lost Visa Or So I've Been Told

Hi all,

Back in March of this year I sent my UK passport to the Thai embassy in Hull, UK, to get a one year multiple entry non-imm B visa....

I had to stay in Singapore for the approx 3 weeks that it took for my passport to get to the UK, get the the Embassy and then get back to me in Singapore so I could re-enter The Kingdom on the new visa.

Everything was fine, until 2 weeks or so after I got back when my passport was stolen. I got a police report, went to the British embassy and got a new passport and was told by several people that all I needed was to go to Immigration with the documents and they would re-insert a replacement for free. I also had an official letter from the Thai Embassy in Hull saying they had issued me with the visa and clearly stating it was a one year multiple etc etc.

So off I went and Immigration did replace the visa... or so I thought... When my 90 days were up I flew over to Singapore to stay with my Sister for a few days and then flew back here, that when I discovered they had ignored (or failed to notice) the details of my original visa and had given me a 90 day non imm B. So upon entry back into Thailand I was only given 30 days.

I went back to Immigration and explained the situation and they simply changed the date on my entry stamp giving me the 90 days I was expecting all very friendly and without any charge at all. So far so good....

A month ago I once again had to do the Singapore trip and once again on re-entering the Immigration official gave me 30 days....

Today I went out to the new Immigration office (rather further than I had anticipated), once again I explained what had happened... this time however the very nice, but totally unwavering, Immigration lady told me that when I lost my passport the original visa was no longer valid and that the person who had signed and extended my visa the last time was wrong. She then went on to claim that I'd effectively been here the last time for 60 days too long by somehow cheating the system... then told me my application for any extension was being denied and gave me 7 days to leave the country !!! Oh and charged me 1900 baht for the priviledge !!! :)

I'd like to hear other members opinions on this. Is it normal that having a passport stolen results in your visa being null and void ? Seems a bit harsh and given what I paid to get the thing more than slighty annoying.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by seancbk

Correct, lost PP = lost visa :)

Immigration will transfer your last entry stamp, period!! (because that is all they have record of).

Only the consulate that issued the visa can replace it (at a price).

Immigration mis-understood what had occurred (correctly) at the airport and 'corrected' your stamp to 90 days (to which you were not entitled), you could also have been lumbered with an overstay fine.

Correct, lost PP = lost visa :)

Immigration will transfer your last entry stamp, period!!

Only the consulate that issued the visa can replace it (at a price).

Thanks Crossy, I was afraid that was the case, although various people including immigration staff had told me otherwise

Sean

Permit me to be extremely ignorant Crossy but this wouldn't happen with an extension of stay would it? You'd simply take your new passport to the immi that issued your extension and they'd check their records and issue you a new stamp?

Permit me to be extremely ignorant Crossy but this wouldn't happen with an extension of stay would it? You'd simply take your new passport to the immi that issued your extension and they'd check their records and issue you a new stamp?

I believe you are correct, an extension is issued by immigration so they have records. No personal experience mind so who really knows.

Passport lost visa lost, correct, but as stated Immigration will transfer your current stay to the new passport.

In these cases it does expedite matters if you have a photocopy of the old passport,

ID page and latest stamp.

Visa is never transferred into a new passport - even if you have the old passport - but if you still had it the visa could be used by presenting both on entry.

A permissions to stay or an extension of stay is transferred into a new passport.

Visa is never transferred into a new passport - even if you have the old passport - but if you still had it the visa could be used by presenting both on entry.

A permissions to stay or an extension of stay is transferred into a new passport.

Re-entry permit stamp would also be transferred by immigration, if held.

Admin please remove my entry as i read the post wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only extensions can be transfered.

Edited by merijn

• 5 months later...

1. file a report with the police that your passport is lost

2. file a report with the embassy your passport is lost and you cna ask for an emergency passport if you need to travel in a hurry.

3. go to immigraiton and report the passport there and show your new passport so they transfer the necesarry details etc.

If you are on an extension of stay and wish to return, you might want a re-entry permit.