The Gauntlet Thrown Down For Tex/mex Chili.

sceadugenga

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

yeah...the topic has been discussed endlessly...no one cares if the food is authentic mexican cuisine; we just wanna prepare the stuff that we had back in the states...being falang expatriates and wanting a taste of home... :D

Yes I understand the feelings, it was just a get it off of my chest thing, Not meant to offend any one.

I too look for a little taste of home, its been 5 years now since I have been in the old country>

Cheers

Actually there are plenty of us who care, kikoman, no reason to apologise. Having lived in Texas, California and Mexico, I know the difference and prefer the real stuff. So there are gringos that like the gringo-mex, they're welcome to it, just like they eat Texas chili with *beans.* (Ironically they are some of the same people who freak out because a MOSburger has a different sauce than an American would use :) ).

Did you know that MOS stands for Mountain Ocean Sun?

A little unrequested trivia there.

<deleted> is "sauce on the side"?

Is it squirted onto the side of the burger or is it on the side of the plate and the burger dipped into it while eaten?

anyone got a recipe for flour tortillas using locally sourced ingredients?

(for the benefit of us upcountry bumkins that ain't got no access to Foodland or Villa Market, please :) )

See: http://www.nanaproducts.com/El_Sapo.html

Recipe under "Mexican Favorites" -- first item listed under "Basics".

I highly recommend the Sonoran style tortillas.

Sonoran style is very good......you can also just substitute cooking oil for "lard." It works!

I roll it in a ball, pushing it once or twice, then leave it in a plastic bag for one hour.......then divide it into small portion.......roll them out on a board..........and fry them (no oil) in a wok......moving the wok around so the bread does not stick.......it should form small bubbles on top (forgot.......it helps to add a small amount of baking powder).

No milk.......no eggs.........easy recipe and good.

Is it squirted onto the side of the burger or is it on the side of the plate and the burger dipped into it while eaten?

get outta here...if POS means 'piece of shit' then MOS in a cooking forum must mean 'made of shit'... :D

an'...sauce 'on the side' is like a side dish...like 'beans on the side' or 'coleslaw on the side'...my mom was always watching her weight and wanted a dry burger...dad was a cheap shit an' said 'we paid fer it...get the sauce on the side'... :)

(for the benefit of us upcountry bumkins that ain't got no access to Foodland or Villa Market, please :) )

Sonoran style is very good......you can also just substitute cooking oil for "lard." It works!

I roll it in a ball, pushing it once or twice, then leave it in a plastic bag for one hour.......then divide it into small portion.......roll them out on a board..........and fry them (no oil) in a wok......moving the wok around so the bread does not stick.......it should form small bubbles on top (forgot.......it helps to add a small amount of baking powder).

check that...the wife got back from the shopping with a bag of flour and a can of baking powder...will try both versions; I figured that oil can be substituted for lard, but I'll use a skillet rather than a wok...

but, sum one stole my rolling board while I was a way in saudi...can always use an empty Chang boddle and flour on the counter in a pinch...

get outta here...if POS means 'piece of shit' then MOS in a cooking forum must mean 'made of shit'... :D

an'...sauce 'on the side' is like a side dish...like 'beans on the side' or 'coleslaw on the side'...my mom was always watching her weight and wanted a dry burger...dad was a cheap shit an' said 'we paid fer it...get the sauce on the side'... :)

Youse Americans say funny things.

(for the benefit of us upcountry bumkins that ain't got no access to Foodland or Villa Market, please :D )

check that...the wife got back from the shopping with a bag of flour and a can of baking powder...will try both versions; I figured that oil can be substituted for lard, but I'll use a skillet rather than a wok...

but, sum one stole my rolling board while I was a way in saudi...can always use an empty Chang boddle and flour on the counter in a pinch...

Sorry, but I have to say something here... no offense to anyone.

But I strongly feel that baking soda really has no place in a tortilla... much as some feel that beans have no place in chile con carne. If a tortilla has soda in it, it's not Sonoran style.

I understand some people like their tortillas that way, just as some like their chile con carne with beans.

This is why I included that option in my recipe -- but really, I recommend no soda. At least give it a try.

Soda is completely unecessary to get a good "puff" to your tortilla... in fact, to me, it seems to take away from the large bubbles that are characteristic of a good tortilla - and makes it more bread-like with many small bubbles - more like a "wrap" used for those trendy sandwiches. Personally, I can taste the difference as well... as soda has a bitter base taste to it.

Oil I haven't tried yet, so I am not sure one would get the same puffing effect. Perhaps this is why some recipes require soda? Well, I'd be happy to do some experiments and see how they come out.

Tips:

Your dough should be relatively soft, unlike a bread dough...otherwise you may end up with brittle/flaky tortillas.

Use a heavy skillet to pan them in and give plenty time to warm up; a heavy skillet will take longer to heat up but distribute the heat more evenly.

If the pan is hot enough, the tortillas should bubble up quite nicely without any soda. When its ready to flip, it will break loose from the pan all on its own. If its too hot, you will get some charring on the tips of the bubbles, evident when you flip them. Could it be that some folks might not be getting the pan hot enough, and instead of turning up the heat, are turning to soda???

When cooked, place the tortillas in a plastic container or bag for them to soften up (by steaming themselves). This way they will be nicely pliable when you are ready to fill them.

If not using all of them straight away, ever-so-slightly undercook those that you intend to put away for another day. That way they dont become brittle when you re-warm them later, which is best done by re-panning them in skillet (at a lower temperature than when originally cooking them).

Store in the fridge in a ziplock bag - flatten the bag to remove air just before ziplocking.

I find that I can use about 1/3 less lard than shortening to get the same effect. And, of course, lard yields the best flavor. Its only a little bit... for most people, it should be of no concern.

OK, thanks for reading through my rant. :)

Edited by ChefHeat

Chef Heat :) Baking Powder, not Baking Soda.

But I only add a dash of it.......pinch, to help make it rise a bit.

You must be a real chef because I can't taste any difference when I use lard and when I use cooking oil........and that really surprised me!

I suggest trying Chef Heat's recipe first.......then JR Texas' recipe (a non chef) second.

For those from California where you actually like fish in Mexican food........you can stuff them with tuna fish mixed with a little soy sauce and mayonnaise and advocado.......real good warm.

From Texas.........stuff them with cheese and refried beans and red or green salsa (obviously can add shredded beef or pork or chicken).

Some people even make chile rellenos and put them inside a flour tortilla........that is really a kick.

Hungry again.............you guys do not know how lucky you are to be close to any kind of Mexican food restaurant, good or bad........I am in the middle of nowhere Thailand.

tortillas of any kind in Guatemala and Nicaragua have got some 'rise' in them (peace blondie, jump in...) indicating that there may be a baking powder of some kind in the mix...I prefer the flat unleavened kind, much easier to tear up and eat the rest of the food without flatware...

(a drunken tutsi to a disapproving niece in Pasadena...'tear up them tortillas an' use 'em t'eat them frijoles with...don't wan' no gringo implements at the table...')

:)

'tear up them tortillas an' use 'em t'eat them frijoles with...don't wan' no gringo implements at the table...'

Having a number of Mexican friends in So.Cal, I acquired this habit as well. Kinda fun to eat this way. Less clean-up as well. Homemade frijoles and homemade tortillas can make for a delicious and invigorating snack or even a meal. So good when done right. However, this combo can be very boring if substandard frijoles and tortillas are used.

The El Charro brand sold here in Thailand are a Sonoran style tortilla, in fact it says so on the label. I found it interesting how they are packaged: not fully cooked, very flat in the package, yet they puff up nicely when panning. I'm looking at the label and they use oil, not shortening or lard. Interesting. I'll have to give that try (using oil) here at home.

We (meaning my wife, heheh) usually make our own at home, but on a trip to Bangkok, my wife figured she save some work and picked some El Charro tortillas up to try. Not bad, I must say... although a bit on the thin side and too small for a burrito. However, far better than another brand we tried, which I wont mention the name, but they were more like a sandwich wrap than a tortilla. I wouldn't even think to call it a tortilla, actually.

yeah...our family are andean (Bolivia) and it was to my dismay when shipped off to there for bein' a bad boy when I was 15 that there were no tortillas or frijoles...plenty of meat and potatoes...about 200 varieties of the latter...guinea pig, when you could get it...their little paws stickin' up outta the stew pot...tastes like chicken...

anybody ever had chunio?...blue, dehydrated potatoes from the Altiplano cooked with scrambled eggs... :)

not a burger in sight :D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Here is a simple recipe for Sonora style tortillas,

2 cups all purpose flour

2 Tablespoons fat

1 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup water

Combine, flour, salt and the fat, which should be well worked in to the flour mixture:

Stir in cold water and form into a ball, Knead well in the bowl,or on a floured board.

make the dough into balls about the size of an egg ( when making your 1st batch ) you can make them smaller until your recipe is coming out right, rub a little lard onto the balls of dough. allow them to stand covered for a least ten minutes.

then roll them out as thin as you can (remember to keep adding flour as you roll your tortilla to not stick to the board.

Make sure your comal is hot, ( you can use a cast iron skillet)

If your fire is not hot enough or too hot the tortillas will not cook right.

That is the recipe, now I will tell you how we do it.

If your making Indian fry bread or little fat New Mexico Tortillas (Add baking Powder)

We do not use baking powder in Sonora style tortillas.Period!

You can use Lard, Cisco, or Oil , my wife uses Soy Bean Oil.

She uses just a pinch of salt, adjusted to my taste.

As I have limited myself to 2 tortillas or 2 slices of bread, at my meals.

she only makes 2-6 tortillas each time.

she does not measure any of the ingredients.

she mixes the 4 ingredients and kneads for a while, she makes into ball with an oil rub, cover and lets set for 30 minutes. When she starts working the dough, prep to roll, by the feel of the dough she can tell if it is ready, if it soft, pliable and stretches, its good. if it is hard and hard to roll, your dough is not ready.

We have a cast comal and as soon as she places the tortilla on ,it a big bubble almost the size of the tortilla will rise, (Your Tortilla will be great) use a fork to deflate the bubble, do not cook it too long. flip it over. Put the extra tortillas folded twice in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge.

Remember that you will get some undercooked ,hard, overcooked tortillas until you get your mix right . our 5th batch using the same recipe as above was the one that came out right .that was 4 years ago in Sattahip. They have been good ever since.

so keep on trying!

PS. some guys like myself do not go to Tourist oriented Restaurants, and eat our Chile Rellenos wrapped in a warm Sonora style tortilla as is done in my home in Sonora!

Hope This is Useful for you!

(for the benefit of us upcountry bumkins that ain't got no access to Foodland or Villa Market, please :D )

2 cups all purpose flour

2 Tablespoons fat

1 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup water

Combine, flour, salt and the fat, which should be well worked in to the flour mixture:

Stir in cold water and form into a ball, Knead well in the bowl,or on a floured board.

make the dough into balls about the size of an egg ( when making your 1st batch ) you can make them smaller until your recipe is coming out right, rub a little lard onto the balls of dough. allow them to stand covered for a least ten minutes.

then roll them out as thin as you can (remember to keep adding flour as you roll your tortilla to not stick to the board.

If your making Indian fry bread or little fat New Mexico Tortillas (Add baking Powder)

she mixes the 4 ingredients and kneads for a while, she makes into ball with an oil rub, cover and lets set for 30 minutes. When she starts working the dough, prep to roll, by the feel of the dough she can tell if it is ready, if it soft, pliable and stretches, its good. if it is hard and hard to roll, your dough is not ready.

We have a cast comal and as soon as she places the tortilla on ,it a big bubble almost the size of the tortilla will rise, (Your Tortilla will be great) use a fork to deflate the bubble, do not cook it too long. flip it over. Put the extra tortillas folded twice in a plastic bag and put it in the fridge.

Remember that you will get some undercooked ,hard, overcooked tortillas until you get your mix right . our 5th batch using the same recipe as above was the one that came out right .that was 4 years ago in Sattahip. They have been good ever since.

so keep on trying!

PS. some guys like myself do not go to Tourist oriented Restaurants, and eat our Chile Rellenos wrapped in a warm Sonora style tortilla as is done in my home in Sonora!

sounds right on...the texture of the masa will come when the cooking is right, I'm sure...

it's the cooking arrangement that concerns me...a comal is the ideal arrangement: cast iron and about 1/2 meter diameter; traditionally about a meter diameter but traditional folks usually have a dedicated firing arrangement for the tortillas which we ain't got...

so, I figure a cast iron skillet, WHICH CAN ALSO BE USED FOR CHILI... I figure to do a batch of 2 dozen then freeze 'em... good fer salads or anythin' ye got...I got a steel skillet which I will try but, from a materials point of view, not really suitable...

I supplicate to the Lady of Tortillas for success in my humble attempt... :)

2 cups all purpose flour

2 Tablespoons fat

1 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup water

so keep on trying!

sounds right on...the texture of the masa will come when the cooking is right, I'm sure...

it's the cooking arrangement that concerns me...a comal is the ideal arrangement: cast iron and about 1/2 meter diameter; traditionally about a meter diameter but traditional folks usually have a dedicated firing arrangement for the tortillas which we ain't got...

so, I figure a cast iron skillet, WHICH CAN ALSO BE USED FOR CHILI... I figure to do a batch of 2 dozen then freeze 'em... good fer salads or anythin' ye got...I got a steel skillet which I will try but, from a materials point of view, not really suitable...

I supplicate to the Lady of Tortillas for success in my humble attempt... :)

You can use any type of pan to make tortillas, but as the Chef states that the thickness counts. You can adjust the heat better, a thin pan will tend to allow your heat to fluctuate to much.

My comal is the metal part of an electric griddle I brought from Arizona, 120 and did not work properly with a 240 step up transformer.

Another option is to buy an electric griddle on sale, I purchased a Mamaru griddle here in Thailand for cheap, its still in the box 2 years later! The old one used on top of a char coal stove is what my wife prefers to cook on.

another option is to go to a sheet metal shop and have them cut you one.

A bit of Trivia,

As one will notice looking at a map of Mexico, there are Oceans on both sides of the Mexican land mass.

Sea food is very prominent in Mexican food though out Mexico!

A bit of Trivia,

As one will notice looking at a map of Mexico, there are Oceans on both sides of the Mexican land mass.

Sea food is very prominent in Mexican food though out Mexico!

Indeed... oceans on both sides, one being a gulf!!

Similar geography and latitude as..... Thailand !!

And both seriously enjoy their chilies :)

Chef Heat :) Baking Powder, not Baking Soda.

Ah, my oversight.

However, baking powder is sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with cream of tartar added, and a little starch. :D

I tried to answer your reply on my question on "Bacon" and it was deleted 3 times, I do not know why!

just wanted to say thanks for your answer.

a MOSburger?...a made-of-shit burger, presumably (brilliant!)...well, I prefer mine medium with sauce on the side...one cannot live by chili alone... :D

Now we're talkin', gringo :)

Well? Where did Tutsiwarrier go? Did you use the recipe and make some good tortillas?

still here, JR...still trine to put my kitchen back together...with extended families nothin' ever stays unused and I lost everything when off in saudi...I got the flour on the newly bought table and now have a gas boddle fer the stove but can't seem to get offa my ass and do it...too much clutter and everyone in the house is sick with something or another...good fer controlling the blood glucose: simply don't eat anything...

an'...the youngest niece needs a haircut before she goes back to school which is a shame as she's got the most beautiful mop in the family...the shampoo commercial equivalent of the school girl bob...

I'll keep you informed... :)

Edited by tutsiwarrior