Us President Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

webfact

Soon you can see the video on demand of the announcement, and get the answer as to why he got it.

So far, the committee are quoted: "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples".

Also, I see a lot of reference to "his vision of and work towards a world without nuclear weapons".

And from my own perspective, regarding the comments about the ongoing wars - well, he didn't start those wars. That was the former guy.

Best/T

Mr. Nixon did not either start the Vietnam War. That was some former guy too, Mr. Kennedy.

A significant technical point I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on--JFK opposed initiating a theater war in Vietnam, preferring a far lesser support role of sending 1,000 US military advisors to S Vietnam. Prez Johnson sent the first combat units per se to Vietnam. Kennedy didn't need an act of Congress to send advisors; Johnson's comittment was of such a scale--500,000 troops--he needed the approval of the Senate (and got it). Kennedy was right and Kennedy also was assassinated, clearing the way for Johnson.

IMHO Mr. Johnson belonged to the same Party as Mr. Kennedy and Mr. Obama.

And the People's Republic of China, the Republic of France, the Islamic Republic of Iran are all republics.

Edited by Publicus

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also is a president and supreme commander of a nation that is actively waging war at least in two fronts !

Yes it does seem bizarre doesn't it. Daily flow of body bags, bombing civilians and gets given the Peace prize. Mind you what about those that got prizes in economics not even seeing the crash coming, appears the whole thing has nothing to do with merit.

What has this got to do with Thailand, why is this on Thaivisa.com???...oh of course we know why....for the axact same reason that he was awarded the prize....this world is getting so PC its a beyond a joke

What has this got to do with Thailand, why is this on Thaivisa.com???...oh of course we know why....for the axact same reason that he was awarded the prize....this world is getting so PC its a beyond a joke

Into page 3 so far and it's been a rare opportunity for a pile on.

Perhaps being on the Tele everyday makes it easy to be a candidate for the nobel peace prize? :D

I'm just suprised that you have'nt nominated Howard Miller :) , just go's to show if Obama can receive it anyone can.

He also is a president and supreme commander of a nation that is actively waging war at least in two fronts !

And he wins a peace prize, lmfao.

Edited by MB1

Mr. Nixon did not either start the Vietnam War. That was some former guy too, Mr. Kennedy.

A significant technical point I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on--JFK opposed initiating a theater war in Vietnam, preferring a far lesser support role of sending 1,000 US military advisors to S Vietnam. Prez Johnson sent the first combat units per se to Vietnam. Kennedy didn't need an act of Congress to send advisors; Johnson's comittment was of such a scale--500,000 troops--he needed the approval of the Senate (and got it). Kennedy was right and Kennedy also was assassinated, clearing the way for Johnson.

IMHO Mr. Johnson belonged to the same Party as Mr. Kennedy and Mr. Obama.

And the People's Republic of China and the Republic of France are both republics.

It need not be an opinion since it is fact.

I suspect he would prefer The Whigs and the Mugwump parties. :)

Theodore Roosevelt was a Republican and won the Peace Prize too.

And someone forgot to shag the Bull Moose / Progressive party which

was a MUCH more populist effort and lost soundly to Wilson,

who ALSO won the Peace Prize; wars not withstanding.

Seems trying to properly end a war is considered a good thing with the committee.

And interesting pair of questions is whether

Republicans or Democrats start and or end more wars historically.

I'm just suprised that you have'nt nominated Howard Miller :) , just go's to show if Obama can receive it anyone can.

I think Howard Miller would be more deserving. This has just been done to placate the PC brigade. Shameful.

The nomination deadline is eight months before the announcement, with a strictly enforced deadline of Feb. 1.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.

There are no provisions for revoking the prize.

http://www.nobelpeaceprize.org

By the time he took office he had been making clear his direction.

Nomination can be based on expectations of stated intent.

If they hadn't at least put him in nomination the option would have been lost.

If he hadn't followed through in any way, then he would have no doubt been passed by.

I really have no idea why this would be Politically Correct to do.

But there seems to be a group that feels anything he does placates this

unknown social group; the 'PC Party', that has no known members or actual offices.

But it is not part of their lives, so a nice thing to harangue on about.

Edited by animatic

Congratulations. I would guess that the reason they have a committee is to review, vet and decide on who should get the prize. Obviously the posters on TV aren't eligible, since they get along about as well as the Israelis and Palestinians.

When I get on the committee, I am recommending the moderators of ThaiVisa for the prize!

I love Obama even though he isn't nearly far enough left for me. I love that he isn't Bush. I was SHOCKED that he won this prize. I reckon the reasons are:

-- they want to reward the USA for turning away from the Bush era

-- they presume he will do something during his term to win the prize anyway just based on his words, and want to get ahead of the curve (they may be right, they may be wrong, we shall see, and lets all HOPE he actually DOES something to deserve the prize he already got!)

-- the competition this year was weak?

He clearly has not DONE anything yet to actually deserve the prize. It is more about what he symbolizes, a less barbarian USA. I just know the Obama hating teabagger crowd are all having a hissy fit right about now, and this gives me great pleasure! Congratulations Barack!

Edited by Jingthing

And interesting pair of questions is whether

Republicans or Democrats start and or end more wars historically.

for people outside the US of A, that difference doesn't matter so much.

and it is pretty much to early to award the new boy in the office with that price.

If BO had any sense he would refuse it. Course we know that will never happen. :)

would be an amazing move.

Predictable post Bush responses.

Ignoring the last paragraph's that explain their logic.

There will always be those who just hate USA, based on their personal biases.

Congratulations Mr. President.

I for one HAVE felt safer...

even safer from verbal assault from our so called allies citizens,

since Obama began his long overdue retread of the USA's global image.

Maybe it is a bit early, but he still has caused a sea change in the perceptions

of a huge segment of the world towards America, and I never expected all to agree.

Face it, Bush was a terrible act to follow and it is amazing how much progress has

been made to erase his bilious legacy. Even in the worst of times and

with the least amount of assets to make use of.

:):D I don't know which.

Congratulations. I would guess that the reason they have a committee is to review, vet and decide on who should get the prize. Obviously the posters on TV aren't eligible, since they get along about as well as the Israelis and Palestinians.

When I get on the committee, I am recommending the moderators of ThaiVisa for the prize!

This place can be crazier than the UN with to name a few Khadaffi, Ahmadinejad, Chavez and of course, Abhisit instead of Thaksin. I'm convinced it was Ahbisit's gold dust Midas handshake with Obama that sealed it for O with the committee. With an endorsement like that, how could O miss out? :)

Could easily make this Thailand related, there are some valid parallels eg:

What a travesty.

I give it about even odds that Obama will end up bringing about civil war in America by the end of 2010.

Similar 'hopes' in the US are probably shared by some no doubt - either for civil war, or for a President Palin... :)

Similar 'hopes' in Thailand are also likely shared by some - either for civil war or for a return of PM Thaksin.... (or in this case, both as that is what it would and may yet take;)

What 'some' supporters of both may have in common is 'hope' for all reforms to STOP and for the world to just STOP evolving... If only it could all just stop and things could go back the way they 'were'... These must be very scary times for some, left feeling increasingly desperate and increasingly (self) isolated, fearing change and of being left behind... (preferring to return to a Mad Men type world order...)

For others, that just ain't cricket or Kansas and evolution & reform are both needed and welcomed, nothing to fear (except the way things were).

Edited by baht&sold

It is kind of funny really. Both his supporters and his detractors mostly agree that he does not deserve the prize for anything that he has done so far. This must be the first time that most posters on Thai Visa have agreed on anything. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

It is kind of funny really. Both his supporters and his detractors mostly agree that he does not deserve the prize for anything that he has done so far. This must be the first time that most posters on Thai Visa have agreed on anything. :)

It is funny, I agree. Obama is having political problems right now and will continue to so do, but overall you have to see this man is Mr. Lucky to the extreme! A junior senator with very thin experience and foreign Muslim ancestry wins the presidency in a near electoral landslide (not to mention beating Hillary Clinton which was actually harder) and now the Nobel Peace Prize for not doing anything. What's his secret? No wonder he thought a quick trip to Europe would win the Olympics for Chicago, he has grown used to MIRACLES. Whats next for the anointed one?

Edited by Jingthing

Youlie.jpg

As a Harvard Law School graduate, in fact a former Harvard Law Review editor, Obama knew damned well he was being disingenuous by emphatically stating illegal immigrants would not be covered under his proposed health care reform plan, thus causing Rep. Wilson's outrage. He was undoubtedly well aware of Supreme Court rulings and precedence in regard to this matter. Do some googling and come to your own conclusion. This comment worked politically for him but he knew full well the Supreme Court would (again) rule in favor of the illegals. Shame on him for deliberately misleading the American people.

Edited by Lopburi99

I think the above comment about some political hair splitting minutia is very, very petty given the big news. In the US, it is not done for an elected representative to scream out LIAR to the president, Americans respect the office more than that culturally. The Nobel people see the BIG PICTURE.

Edited by Jingthing