Highhopes To Be Asia's International Education Hub

webfact

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been a teacher in several so called International Schools in Thailand I would like to say my piece.

My own children went back to their country of origin to study as the level of education that was on offer was less than adequate.They were in the schools I was teaching in and yet they still were not being educated in a manner that was good enough to give them the skills they would require for being further educated in a Western school system.

I have done what I was allowed to do to help the students I taught so that they could be prepared for whatever life dished out.The same as I provide for my own children.

The students I taught not only gained knowledge but also the skills in how to learn.These are two very different concepts.Until this is standard and Thai students have an idea How to learn, then it will not change.Regurgitating facts that are for set style questions is not what life is all about.

Light,Love and Learning to all

International education in Thailand is set to grow 10 per cent yearly and the government expects to have up to 100,000 foreign students enrolled here within five years, up from about 30,000 at present, a senior Commerce Ministry official said.[/b]

10% growth per year from today's total of 30,000 equates to 48,000 in five years.

Could somebody confirm whether Mr. Senior Commerce Ministry Official was educated in Thailand?

:):D :D :D :D :D

International education in Thailand is set to grow 10 per cent yearly and the government expects to have up to 100,000 foreign students enrolled here within five years, up from about 30,000 at present,

The Commission on Higher Education's Bureau of International Cooperation Strategy said there were 70,174 university students

attending international and English programmes in 2008, compared to 60,221 in 2007.

The number of foreign students also rose to 16,361 in 2008 from 11,021 in 2007.

There were about 32,000 students in Thailand's international schools each year.

The DEP has been promoting Thailand's international education for more than 10 years.

So far, about 420 international and English programme academic institutions in Thailand could provide around 900 programmes to 102,466 students.

Very muddled reporting, once again.:D

30,000 at present.....

Then it is 16,361 in 2008???

32,000 in international schools, but how many are foreign students,

as opposed to Thais taking advantage of a foreign education??

A 200% growth in 5 years will take a lot of investment in schools and teachers with the necessary skills.

How is that to be achieved and funded????

No mention of such mudane details. :)

What an absolute crock of sh*t. No higher level or quality foreign student, with the exception of someone studying a Thai related subject (e.g. music, language, literature etc.) is going to pick Thailand. There are three reasons for this;

1. Other better universities will provide bursaries, grants, subsidies etc. for qualified foreign students. China does this with gusto and to a lesser extent, Japan and Israel.

2. Language barriers. Most foreign students will opt to study in English, although there are growing numbers that are proficient in Chinese variants. My gut instinct says that alot of the general foreign students are of Chinese ethnicities and many that opt for Chinese facilities have a knowledge of Mandarin Chinese.

The best foreign students will also pick Australia, USA, UK over Thailand any day. Few if any learn Thai as a 2nd language in Hong Kong or China or Malaysia. They are more likely to learn English.

3. A foreign student that has the money to pay for an out of country eduction is going to pick prestige over proximity. Hong Kong & Singapore kids will pick a non Asian experience over Thailand. If one is coming from a developed place like Singapore, does one really want to go slumming in Bangkok?

Let's look at the Times Higher Education-QS World University Rankings and published by US News and Review that ranked the 20 best universities in Asia; (June 19, 2009)

1 University of Tokyo Japan

2 Kyoto University Japan

3 University of Hong Kong Hong Kong

4 National University of Singapore (NUS) Singapore

5 Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Hong Kong

6 The Chinese University of Hong Kong Hong Kong

7 Osaka University Japan

8 Peking University China

9 Seoul National University Korea, South Korea

10 Tsinghua University China

11 Tokyo Institute of Technology Japan

12 Nanyang Technological University Singapore

13 Hebrew University of Jerusalem Israel

14 Kaist - Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology Korea, South Korea

15 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology Israel

16 Tohoku University Japan

17 Fudan University China

18 Tel Aviv University Israel

19 Nagoya University Japan

20 National Taiwan University Taiwan

27 Chulalongkorn University Thailand

42 Mahidol University Thailand

It should be distressing to Thai officials that Singapore and Israel, two small nations can put multiple institutions in the top 20. Yet, Thailand, a country that is approx. 10X the size of those two, can't do better than #27. Ok, so Thailand offers better universities than those found in Syria, Laos, Myanmar, Pakistan and Aghanistan. Big <deleted> deal.

However, that suggests that the students most likely to be attracted are from countries like Bangladesh, Pakistan, etc. (I'd remove Cambodia now due to the current political climate.) Woohoo. Hurray for diversity. I suppose one shouldn't knock targeting "low cost" consumers, since it's done quite well for Walmart. However, the quality level is still Walmart, which isn't stellar.

I do not believe that a Thai university experience for a foreign student can compare to another asian option. You go to Thailand if you can't get in elsewhere. Is that going to be the marketing slogan? Hey, if you are poor and don't have a good transcript, come to Thailand. No need to worry about grades ever again as we offer the made in Thai solution.

i'm a little confused about whether this topic refers to universities or also high schools....

i went to high school in thailand, at a fairly small school following american curriculum. there were more thai children at this school than "whites". however, the quality of the education was very high, and some of the students went to very prestigious universities in america, such as MIT. so there are good educational institutions.

on the other hand, i am now going to a university in thailand, which is a total mess and i ask myself on a daily basis what i am still doing there. sadly i always wake up when i compare the cost of tuition here and abroad.... teachers tend to be quite bad and underpaid from what i hear, staff doesnt care about you, administration only wants your money. absolutely nothing special.

yes, there are good educational institutions here, but (i'm sorry if i offend someone with this, but from my experience that is my opinion) these institutions are run by foreigners, and not thais.

I know a woman with a "degree" in buisiness studies who is unsure which countries neighbour Thailand. What does it matter after all?

I know an English teacher who can just about manage "Big dog. Little dog." with her pupils and comes to me with exam papers to check as she cannot work out the answers herself.

Hmm.

And I have a student who can name every capital city of every country in the world. He can also name the country if you say the capital. I have no idea why, since it's not a part of the curriculum.

No higher level or quality foreign student, with the exception of someone studying a Thai related subject (e.g. music, language, literature etc.) is going to pick Thailand.

Yeah, except those 30,000 that already have.

I know a woman with a "degree" in buisiness studies who is unsure which countries neighbour Thailand. What does it matter after all?

I know an English teacher who can just about manage "Big dog. Little dog." with her pupils and comes to me with exam papers to check as she cannot work out the answers herself.

Hmm.

Why are you telling this? Did they study in one of the international programs? Or is it a thread to dump all your unfortunate experiences with Thai education, no matter how far removed from the topic?

Studying here costs an average of only US$18,000 [bt600,000] per year, while in developed countries it costs $28,000 a year," she added.

And what would an international student do in Thailand to earn money to help make ends meet?

Edited by ronz28

Chula PolySci curriculum.

Hub Theme Generation 101

Get idea from newspaper.

Say in one paragraph;

That it is going to make Thailand the ASEAN hub of it.

Put out press release,

add to resume.

Repeat.

Edited by animatic

Guys you are all right in one way or another, but I'll have to admit that as much of a joke all this sound is actually doable and achievable here in LOS.

Let's not talk standards of education (SoE), let's just focus on two main things: Recognition of your credentials internationally and also the cost average of the whole time you need to complete your education. All in all most of the diplomas, degrees and the rest of the bunch are either recognized on their own or are issued in collaboration with other international Education institutions. Also there is the money issue which let's be frank is what hurts the most, and is the main issue in 90% of the cases where westerners or other SE Asian children are not able to continue or finish their education. Thailand at least for now will take care of that and also offer another advantage, you won't be a guy who studied home you do have international education and experience for a fraction of the money.

Any way hope that this will happen, but as you all say it may just be another joke on a very high pole.

My GF has a bachelors degree in photography. The portfolio looked like something a ten year old could have produced and she hasn't a clue about the technical elements from what I have seen.

Its entirely your private business but does your girlfriend read this topic?

I wouldn't be surprise if you face some 'action' from her over your quote

but at least she is perfect in English and Frensh I hope :)

I see the headlines coming. Best 4 Universitys in the world! Oxford, Cambridge, Chulalonghorn, Harvard cheesy.gif

btw, does every farang which signed up for a 1 year student visa in a language school also count? :D

Most people who decide to study abroad do not go to top four universities. Thailand can provide a place for those who don't need an Ivy League degree, and better value for the second/third tier choice. It would still be a success.

We already have a thread on this topic, and it follows the same pattern - people with no first hand knowledge trash the idea relentlessly.

When I read this article in paper Nation this morning I thought it would pause them and start thinking. No, all in vain.

30,000 students already - no matter.

Uni students grew from 11,000 to 16,000 in a year - no matter.

Assessed every five years - no matter.

Graduates go to major western universities - no matter.

Most people here didn't even read the article. Most are probably over 50, which means they studied when education in the West held a lower quality than in Thailand today. Many probably don't even hold a degree. This is not a forum for intellectual discussion of any kind.

Indeed!

Our youngest daughter has just started at Hull University, French + Spanish. She reckons there's about 40+ Thai freshers doing a wide spread of degrees. I have heard of much larger numbers in London and Manchester. Bearing in mind the cost over 3 years it looks like quite a few Thai parents are voting with their wallets on the worth of a Thai University degree.

it is still too early to conclude the future of education in thailand.

at worst , it will remain at status quo .

at best, it may become the beacon going into the future and

may become the most sought after destination for education for many

who aspire to be well versed and well prepared for the next brave new world.

only time will tell.

They are lying that the curriculum is the same as in other countryes. Thai language, Thai history, and Thai Literature are mandatory subjects in the curriculum the Ministry of Education requires International Schools to follow. Because of the hours required to be spent on these subjects, and Physical Education, there is not enough time left to cover core educational subjects (world history, mathematics, and especially English).Bear in mind that 95% of the students at "international" schools are Thai and need extra time for learning English.

In addition, the top schools pay a good enough wage to attract really good teachers; the lower tier schools don't. If you pay peanuts, you're going to get monkeys. :)

We already have a thread on this topic, and it follows the same pattern - people with no first hand knowledge trash the idea relentlessly.

When I read this article in paper Nation this morning I thought it would pause them and start thinking. No, all in vain.

30,000 students already - no matter.

Uni students grew from 11,000 to 16,000 in a year - no matter.

Assessed every five years - no matter.

Graduates go to major western universities - no matter.

Most people here didn't even read the article. Most are probably over 50, which means they studied when education in the West held a lower quality than in Thailand today. Many probably don't even hold a degree. This is not a forum for intellectual discussion of any kind.

Best comment so far

Funny how top Thais with the loot still send their kids abroad,

Can anyone name a rich falang who sends a child ere from overseas?

Chula and Tammasat not quite up to it for Hi Sos while anyone who has worked here knows of the endess bogus qualifications,backpacker teachers proxy exams degree mills.As noted most kids in the shabby Int schools are expats brats with little choice living under false assumptions

Do they really believe rich westerners or Japanese would handicap their kids by sending them to at best 2nd rate didactic rote driven non questioning mills?

Intellectual debate is discouraged in a consensual smirking climate of corruption

terror of loss of face means little rigour is encouraged or tradition challenged.

Staff are poorly trained paid and motivated.Remember the nazi facy dress as politicaly correct as Hitler going to a party as Harry the stormtrooper

Such press statements are to be ridiculed are Bob Marley and the Walens and similar visamongers to be included in this tsunami of education this heap of learning this shower of academe.

as they say down our way

"Qui custodiet ipsoscustodes" Answer the todes of Toad All

Edited by RubbaJohnny

They are lying that the curriculum is the same as in other countryes. Thai language, Thai history, and Thai Literature are mandatory subjects in the curriculum the Ministry of Education requires International Schools to follow. Because of the hours required to be spent on these subjects, and Physical Education, there is not enough time left to cover core educational subjects (world history, mathematics, and especially English).Bear in mind that 95% of the students at "international" schools are Thai and need extra time for learning English.

In addition, the top schools pay a good enough wage to attract really good teachers; the lower tier schools don't. If you pay peanuts, you're going to get monkeys. :)

Speaking from experience, are you? Thai language, history and literature are usually covered within the single 3-credit course that the international programs offer. Huge time wasted, indeed, considering the total amount of credits needed to be completed is usually more than 140. Physical education is a single credit course. Yes, for instance at Assumption University of Thailand 90 % of the students are Thai and they often need to complete English I-IV during their first two years (international students often choose to get a good score from TOEFL/IELTS instead and be exempt from these courses). Also, I do not know any western university that doesn't recognize the Bachelor of Business Administration degree from there, do you?

There are plenty of fantastic Thai lecturers in the main universities and the standard of education is much better than many might think, at least in the "Top 10".

excuse me, but in a country where it is so easy to buy police or politicians one should trust a degree of a Thai University same as he trusts a student with an degree of a western University? is that what you are talking about?

btw, just two weeks ago we met some students at a tourism hotspot here in Phuket and tried talking to them. They came from one of Bkk`s Universities

but their English was poorer than mine :) guess they are intrested in other languages like they are in everything else, except food, clothes and the newest handphone model.

Unfortunately, these threads really show up ThaiVisa for what it really is (with the exception of a few posters with REAL experience), and that is a bunch of ignorant fools with no real knowledge or experience, moaning and bashing relentlessly from the comfort of their armchair(which they probably never leave). It is no surprise that this forum has a pretty bad reputation among REAL expats in Thailand (not the forum warrior variety).

btw, just two weeks ago we met some students at a tourism hotspot here in Phuket and tried talking to them. They came from one of Bkk`s Universities

but their English was poorer than mine :) guess they are intrested in other languages like they are in everything else.

Wow really? "One of Bangkok's Universities"....... Well that really narrows it down.......Is that supposed to imply that it must be a good one? I also don't understand why he should have better English than you? Maybe he studied in THAI, considering we are in Thailand and all........

What an absolute crock of sh*t. No higher level or quality foreign student, with the exception of someone studying a Thai related subject (e.g. music, language, literature etc.) is going to pick Thailand.

WRONG! There are many actually, especially from other Asian countries.