Attention! Bookazine Bookshop Has Moved!

syd barrett

Please be aware that the Bookazine bookshop in Royal Garden Plaza has moved. Previously it was situated on the first upper floor next to 'Boots' the pharmacy it has now been temporarily moved to the ground floor (Beach Road end). It is situated 'open-plan' in the pedestrian area.

It will be positioned here for approximately one month (Thai time) until it is relocated back up to the first upper floor where it will be situated at 'Best Optical'.

• 2 weeks later...

@@@UPDATE@@@

I am happy to announce that the new Royal Garden Shopping Mall 'Bookazine' will be opening its doors on Monday November 23rd 2009.

Those with 'Bookazine' loyalty cards dated 2003/2004 or before will have already received the official opening invitations; champagne reception (early morning before Royal Garden Mall opens its doors) and an exclusive book signing session with Paul Pisces.

See you there!

Edited by syd barrett

@@@UPDATE@@@

I am happy to announce that the new Royal Garden Shopping Mall 'Bookazine' will be opening its doors on Monday November 23rd 2009.

Those with 'Bookazine' loyalty cards dated 2003/2004 or before will have already received the official opening invitations; champagne reception (early morning before Royal Garden Mall opens its doors) and an exclusive book signing session with Paul Pisces.

See you there!

dam_n. Don't arrive until two weeks later! :)

Syd, thanks for the info that no refunds are applicable on unsold newspapers.

When in Pattaya I get my BP from a shop on Khao Noi and, more often than not, turning up after 10am would provoke the 'mai me' response.

Could never work out why they didn't just order more copies as this was a regular occurance.

Now I know.

Syd, thanks for the info that no refunds are applicable on unsold newspapers.

When in Pattaya I get my BP from a shop on Khao Noi and, more often than not, turning up after 10am would provoke the 'mai me' response.

Could never work out why they didn't just order more copies as this was a regular occurance.

Now I know.

I would like to suggest that you pick up your Bangkok Post at the newsagents on the corner of Soi Buckhaw & Soi Diana. They have a good supply up until about 10.55 am as a rule.

Edited by syd barrett

I wish Bookazine would stop bringing in the same books year after year anyone would think that new ones never get published. I guess they think that if it sells well when it first arrives they must keep repeat orders in.

Edited by Rimmer

I wish Bookazine would stop bringing in the same books year after year anyone would think that new ones never get published. I guess they think that if it sells well when it first arrives they must keep repeat orders in.

It is difficult for the owners because they know that a very limited number of books sell well and in Thailand they don't change a lot from year to year.

To keep a bookshop open, one has to sell books and if space is limited, you want to fill it with the books that sell well. :)

Call me old fashioned but I don't have a problem with the Bookazine stock. I am just extremely disappointed that they don't stock the quality English newspapers, the FT or the Racing Post like in the good old days.

They always have a good (and updated) stock of Lonely Planet guides which is good and they often have a bargain-bin, plus I receive a birthday card on my birthday and receive a 15% discount on that day.

Thanks Bookazine!

I don't mean a typical reader. The truth is that they all really want what Bookazine stocks which is pretty good reading. I'm talking about someone who only wants to read about witchcraft or Indian philosophy or the things that you mentioned. They run out of books in a couple of weeks.

I agree with Rimmer. They need to buy new stocks and diversify a lot more. A larger Non-fiction section would be greatly appreciated. In all honesty the quality of writing in the "Thailand/Southeast Asia" is so poor, it should be scrapped altogether.

That's my problem as well, I don't read fiction and whilst my interest only goes as far as military history the same books keep showing up.

The Ravens, Air America, Tiger Force, come to mind as ones I have been tripping over for years.

I agree with Rimmer. They need to buy new stocks and diversify a lot more. A larger Non-fiction section would be greatly appreciated. In all honesty the quality of writing in the "Thailand/Southeast Asia" is so poor, it should be scrapped altogether.

That's my problem as well, I don't read fiction and whilst my interest only goes as far as military history the same books keep showing up.

The Ravens, Air America, Tiger Force, come to mind as ones I have been tripping over for years.

Buy your books on eBay. Enormous choice and even with the postage they usually end up costing less than the local bookshops.

Another useful practice is to look up the books you have already read on Amazon. The site offers suggestions of similar books which may be of interest.

Edited by Spalpeen

For used and some new books alibris and abebooks are two good on-line sources. Searched them for a specific book recently and the best price was about the same as amazon, but amazon easillyl had the cheapest postage. Some of the quoted postage is just silly.

-redwood

• 5 weeks later...
The new Bookazine opened yesterday (Monday 23rd November) on the 1st floor of the Royal Garden Plaza.

They are still arranging stock, but are open for business as usual.

Thanks syd I'll check that out.

The new Bookazine opened yesterday (Monday 23rd November) on the 1st floor of the Royal Garden Plaza.

They are still arranging stock, but are open for business as usual.

Syd why don't you sort a book swap out....in a bar, good chance to get new books plus get a few scoops in the meantime.

• 3 months later...