3 G In Thailand

Langsuan Man

The push for 3G licenses seems to be headed for a resolution shortly

Since the pundits are all clamoring for 3G for internet access via "smart phones" what provisions are being made to increase bandwith ?

Or will all of us long suffering ADSL users here have to share our already limited international bandwith with the mobile phone carriers who will offer 3G service ?

Don't think it will have any impact.

These days the actual line capacity isn't the problem so much anymore - oversubscription / cost of the lines is. And there's a new underseas cable to the USA getting switched on shortly - surely long before we'll ever see 3G - which will help things.

IMO this is a total non-issue.

Don't hold your breath on this one ...no way of knowing except that all carriers will have self interest and ROI at heart after the humungous cost of licenses and will allocate bandwidth accordingly.

I have GPRS/edge at the moment which is now showing connected at 237kb/s my best download rates are rarely above 25kbs.

I suspect ADSL may be less economically viable for the consumer when 3G is actually implemented and starts tp perform as it is supposed to re speed and up time.

Personally, I think there's only a small chance that 3G will arrive this time... on the one hand, not having 3G in this age is a huge embarrassment for Thailand and I sincerely believe that will be a major factor in this. On the other hand there are too many entrenched interests fighting tooth and nail against 3G, namely CAT and TOT....

Personally, I think there's only a small chance that 3G will arrive this time... on the one hand, not having 3G in this age is a huge embarrassment for Thailand and I sincerely believe that will be a major factor in this. On the other hand there are too many entrenched interests fighting tooth and nail against 3G, namely CAT and TOT....

What's the problem we have it in Chiang Mai AIS 3G works beautifully, I'm on it at the present. Eat you heart out. Good by TOT/TTT & CAT & True. I agree it is an embarrassment to Thailand and should be maid available threw out Thailand but will the big boys play? I hope everyone can have access to it.

What's the problem we have it in Chiang Mai AIS 3G works beautifully, I'm on it at the present. Eat you heart out. Good by TOT/TTT & CAT & True. I agree it is an embarrassment to Thailand and should be maid available threw out Thailand but will the big boys play? I hope everyone can have access to it.

We do not have true 3G in Chiang Mai. I am using my AIS 3G also... but it is only half of what 3G could be. This is not to take away from your joy of getting away (by??) from TOT/TTT & CAT. However, CAT also does have a similar service as AIS is offering in Chiang Mai and Chon Buri.

All of this will change... At least that is my experience with the internet in Chiang Mai. Be careful about chiding and gloating.... you will have to pay back your karma.

MSPain

Don't hold your breath on this one ...no way of knowing except that all carriers will have self interest and ROI at heart after the humungous cost of licenses and will allocate bandwidth accordingly.

I have GPRS/edge at the moment which is now showing connected at 237kb/s my best download rates are rarely above 25kbs.

I suspect ADSL may be less economically viable for the consumer when 3G is actually implemented and starts tp perform as it is supposed to re speed and up time.

Ummh....237 kb/s (which it will report as the connection) is equal to 29.625 kB/s...so you're getting 85% of EDGE's maximum speed rating(236.8 kb/s using 4 slots)...not bad when you take off for TCP/IP.  I do appreciate your comment about uptime though; out in the sticks where my house is the WWAN goes out on every hard rain.

And gotlost...could you kindly provide a speed test to the States, say NYC (I'm thinking about getting a Slingbox subscription to there and wonder how your 3G holds up versus CAT's).  Thanks.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...e-speedy-with-t

PM says 3G service licensing must be speedy with transparency

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday that he had instructed the National Telecom Commission to make sure that the bidding of licenses of third general wireless data service carried out with transparency.

Abhisit said Thailand was much behind other countries in the region regarding to 3G services.

"I've given a clear policy that our 3G services are much slower than other countries but I would like it to be done with transparency. Our goal is to have it done fast with transparency," Abhisit said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/16