Hotel/guesthouse In Bkk For Less Than B1000 ?

markg

I'm coming to Bkk next week. Having lived in Thailand for 6 years, i have only spent about 3 or 4 nights in total in Bangkok.

Can anyone recommend a basic but clean place to stay? No need for aircon. CLEAN room with private bathroom is all i need.

I don't particularly want to stay in the KSR area because that's where i stayed on my last visits and the places there usually have a ban on Thai chicks going into the rooms

I had a look on the pinned topics (above) at Thaivisa's very own http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/ but the trouble is, it names the roads the hotels are on and this means absolutely nothing to me. I've heard of 2 roads in Bkk. KSR and Sukumwit.

I kinda want to stay nearish to some decent nightlife, though i don't mind taking a short taxi ride if that's required.

I've heard that the RCA is good for nightlife but i have no idea of hotels in this area.

A friend mentioned a hostel (but with private rooms too) for 650 a night near Suk soi 11 but it gets bad reports recently on Trip Advisor.

Any recommendations for less than 1k baht a night anyone?

I'm coming to Bkk next week. Having lived in Thailand for 6 years, i have only spent about 3 or 4 nights in total in Bangkok.

Can anyone recommend a basic but clean place to stay? No need for aircon. CLEAN room with private bathroom is all i need.

I don't particularly want to stay in the KSR area because that's where i stayed on my last visits and the places there usually have a ban on Thai chicks going into the rooms

I had a look on the pinned topics (above) at Thaivisa's very own http://www.r24.org/hotels.thaivisa.com/ but the trouble is, it names the roads the hotels are on and this means absolutely nothing to me. I've heard of 2 roads in Bkk. KSR and Sukumwit.

I kinda want to stay nearish to some decent nightlife, though i don't mind taking a short taxi ride if that's required.

I've heard that the RCA is good for nightlife but i have no idea of hotels in this area.

A friend mentioned a hostel (but with private rooms too) for 650 a night near Suk soi 11 but it gets bad reports recently on Trip Advisor.

Any recommendations for less than 1k baht a night anyone?

If you'd like to stay on Sukhumvit then Honey Inn on Soi 19 would be a place that would suit your needs. Another place that I once stayed at is Swan Inn on Sukhumvit Soi 4.....you really will be amongst the action if you choose to stay here :) They also own another place just over the road from Swan Inn called 'Swan 4 Bar and Hotel' this place is newer than Swan Inn and therefore may also be worth a look.

Another hotel I'll mention is Watana Mansion on Ratchadapisek road (Soi 17). It's close to the Sutthisan MRT station which makes getting to Sukhumvit Road or the weekend market at Chatuchak easy. It's also only a short taxi ride to/from both RCA and Ratchadapisek Soi 4 which is another of Bangkok's night spots.

Edited by thecatman

I've just noticed that The Woraburi Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 4 are currently offering rooms for 1100Bt a night (until the end of Oct). Now that is a good deal. The buffet breakfast that they do here is good (although it may not be included in this promotional price). They've got a nice rooftop bar/swimming pool area too. It's also Thai chick friendly :)

Edited by thecatman

I've just notice that The Woraburi Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 4 are currently offering rooms for 1100Bt a night (until the end of Oct). Now that is a good deal. It includes a buffet breakfast (which I've had and is good). They've got a nice rooftop bar/swimming pool area too. It's also Thai chick friendly :)

Its a good hotel and a great price as you say. But last time I stayed there (2-3 years ago) the breakfast was terrible. Just wondering if they improved it since.

Edited by smokie36

This happens every time. A person asks for X and people offer Y.

Budget is 650 gents

That gives him about five options on Soi4. At 700 add another three+ - all guesthouses

Would not even bother with NaNa - had a look a week back and it was pathetic waste of time and money. I only wasted an hour and ended up going up soi 4 and drinking with some guys up there. It's toast.

PS: Every time I am up in this soi4 area I like it less and less. Its so Touristy and scammy. Across the street, little "Saudi". But its cheap and a good launch point to everywhere.

PPS: Get off/on at Ploen Chit - better for many reasons, primary its closer.

Edited by bangkokburning

If the op is going to be staying in some flea pit flop house, he sure as hel_l aint going to be spending too much time partying over at RCA.

Could be a good pulling point "Would you like to go to Nasa Vegas?" Could get misheard and they think Las Vegas. :)

Thank you everyone for so many useful replies in such a short time. Lots of people suggesting the Soi 4 area. I have no idea where this is in relation to anywhere else in Bkk but being near nightlife is a good start and i can always take the tram system or taxi's to other places.

I'll have a little look on Google earth later on.

Thanks again for your help.

If the op is going to be staying in some flea pit flop house, he sure as hel_l aint going to be spending too much time partying over at RCA.

Well...........people say Phuket is expensive, but i stated 1000b a night or less and that i wanted a CLEAN room. For that sort of money, i'm certainly not expecting some sort of 'flea pit flop house'. In Phuket you'll get a very nice 3 star hotel for 1000.

If you want a flop house then its from 180b a night upwards.

Oddly enough, the place recommended by a friend on Soi 11 has bad write ups on Trip Adviser because of exactly that - fleas !!

Yuk !

As a matter of interest, what exactly is RCA and why would someone staying at a 'flea pit flop house' not be spending too much time over there? The only thing i heard was that it's full of bright young chicks from university and professional jobs.

Or is it that you think the bars are out of my price range?

Oh, one more important thing. How much is a bottle of beer on average in the bars around soi 4?

If you asked me the same question about Phuket, i'd say between 60 and 80b a bottle.

Thanks

Hi markg, forget about that one poster who knocked you....snob.

You're right, I know some half decent places in Phuket for under 1000Bt. I've also heard people moan that Phuket's expensive but I don't go along with that at all. Bangkok however is slightly more expensive in terms of what you'll get for your baht both accommodation and beer wise.

A beer in most Soi 4 bars will cost you 100Bt up. If you venture into Nana Plaza (located at the start of the Soi) then the beers in those (girlie) bars are likely to be anything from 130-150Bt a bottle.

RCA (Royal City Avenue) is one street that homes maybe 10 or 12 clubs/venues. It is not particularly expensive, well, I've never thought so. It's a prodomitally young Thai crowd that go to the clubs there, like you said, young professionals and students. I recommend you go, I think you'll enjoy it.

Edited by thecatman

I used to stay at the Honey over the years.....way back it was 250 bt/night but last time was 700bt and believe it may now be 8 roi with Breakfast.

Suk 19 along from Robinsons ...easy.........Soi Sip Gaw :)

I've just noticed that The Woraburi Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 4 are currently offering rooms for 1100Bt a night (until the end of Oct). Now that is a good deal. The buffet breakfast that they do here is good (although it may not be included in this promotional price). They've got a nice rooftop bar/swimming pool area too. It's also Thai chick friendly :)

nice hotel but a long walk to Sukhumvit road. They do have a shuttle service too. I see the rooms are 690bht on Agoda.

Beer prices in Sukhumvit are more expensive than Phuket, EG: on soi 4 morning and night bar is 90bt for a Hieniken, sports bar 95bt. But if you look there are many bars doing happy hour, Hanrahan has beer for 60bt during happy hour same same big Mango. Spice club and many other nightclubs are within walking distance from soi 4. Siam, the main shopping district is 2 BTS stops from there. Soi Nana (gogo and beer bars) is on soi 4, the beer garden for freelancers is close and soi cowboy is just up the road.

Beer prices in Sukhumvit are more expensive than Phuket, EG: on soi 4 morning and night bar is 90bt for a Hieniken, sports bar 95bt. But if you look there are many bars doing happy hour, Hanrahan has beer for 60bt during happy hour same same big Mango. Spice club and many other nightclubs are within walking distance from soi 4. Siam, the main shopping district is 2 BTS stops from there. Soi Nana (gogo and beer bars) is on soi 4, the beer garden for freelancers is close and soi cowboy is just up the road.

Waza, you're a goldmine. Exactly what i need. Thanks.

I will be there next Wednesday.

nice hotel but a long walk to Sukhumvit road. They do have a shuttle service too. I see the rooms are 690bht on Agoda.

I find the Agoda website hit and miss, everytime I try to get a price on a hotel I get the 'Unfortunately there are no available rooms at the XYZ Hotel for your chosen dates' message.

I find the Agoda website hit and miss, everytime I try to get a price on a hotel I get the 'Unfortunately there are no available rooms at the XYZ Hotel for your chosen dates' message.

Hummmmm, strange.....I seem to have these problems only with agoda dot com but the co.uk site works fine.

Booked the Woraburi on Agoda. It's 640 a night but then they add some sort of tax which brings it to about 750 a night which still seems pretty reasonable. Distance to Nana and shuttle service noted. If it's any good i will book the rest of the stay there - probably via Agoda again unless the front desk will do the same deal for cash.

Anyone know roughly what i should pay a meter taxi from Suvanaboom to Nana just to make sure i'm not getting ripped.

I haven't done that trip in awhile, but I went downstairs to the taxi stand and those guys always used the meter. They charge an extra 50 Baht for airport departure, and with fare, and toll charges, I think came to around 350 Baht total. May need to consider time of day and traffic situation too. Maybe someone with more recent experience can give a better estimate.

Edited by beechguy

I haven't done that trip in awhile, but I went downstairs to the taxi stand and those guys always used the meter. They charge an extra 50 Baht for airport departure, and with fare, and toll charges, I think came to around 350 Baht total. May need to consider time of day and traffic situation too. Maybe someone with more recent experience can give a better estimate.

220-230 baht plus 50baht airport surcharge add on 75baht for tollway total around 350baht as you said.

Malaysia Hotel in a Soi near Rama 4, Lumpini has good big rooms, bathtubs and is resonably clean for around 800 THB. I know you can bring boys there so I presume the girls as well. Although someone may look at you bit strange. The reception retains visitor IDs and call you back when they leave in the morning to make sure you are happy with what they've stollen and that you are still alive :-)

I like the new IBIS Nana, in Sukhumvit, Soi Nana. Internet promotion price two days in advance is 1.235.- B.

Taxi to lower Sukhumvit area, as mentioned but as already written in another Thread there are some Taxis running with faster running Taximeters,

my Taximeter come last time to 370.- B. till IBIS Nana + the 50,- B. Airport tax and + the 70.- B. for the Highway.

= to much!

220-230 baht plus 50baht airport surcharge add on 75baht for tollway total around 350baht as you said.

Have a look directly across the road at Nana Tai Mansion if you're not happy with the Woriburi. I was staying at NTM but the Woriburi had a "3 for 2 nights" offer on so I had a quick look there to see if it was worth us moving - it was not. The room they showed me was dirty and looked like it wasn't even finished being built yet, everyone in the lobby and restaurant looked really unhappy too so I decided I would never stay there, and seeing as I was staying at NTM I am obviously not a snob! NTM is always clean, has big rooms and the room service food and everything is very good, it's 900 Baht a night (no breakfast).

Just a thought for a backup plan if you need it.

From swampy it will cost 240bht in a meter taxi plus expressway fee, if you go that way. If you catch it from the 4th floor departures then there is no airport levy.

Edited by waza