Taxation on money brought into thailand

seven

Hi !

I read conflicting stories on the taxation of pension money and other related funds to be brought in Thailand by someone who is retired and lives in Thailand (for more than 183 days).

One story says that all funds brought into Thiland for retirement purposes are tax exempted.I now read in the Bangkok Post of today that this is not true: if the pension and other related funds are received from the home country and are brought into Thailand in the same calendar year the funds are subject to Personal Income Tax.

But the Tax authorities do not say what criteria apply to prove that the savings and pension brought to Thailand in any given year are earned in the preceding years so that they will not be subject to tax. Is this correct ? Can anybody give me clarity on this ?

Thanks

Seven

The funds you bring could be exempt from tax by a tax treaty between Thailand and your home country.  If not you don't bring the money into Thailand in the year that you earn it; do you? ???

Yes.  The report is as I have understood it and as some major firms advise expats.  But admit I am no expert.

Can anybody give me clarity on this ?

Thanks

Seven

Hi Seven,

Call the people that wrote this in the Bangkok Post:-

-------------------------------------------------------

- Prepared by Piphob Veraphong, Thanasak Chanyapoon and Prangtip Anantavipat. They can be reached at [email protected] or 02-651-5490.

-------------------------------------------------------

They should.

Hope it help you.

::o: