Safety Tips At Night Time

lanky

I am curious to know if bangkok recently is getting safer or not at night time as I have read reports of some foreigners getting beat up at night time without any authorities intervening at what are some good tips to be safe at night time

thanks

I regularly go out in downtown Bangkok, have done it for years and sometimes might even be drunk. Worst to happen is to get your phone and wallet stolen by pickpockets. Best to avoid this is to take taxi back home even if it is only short trip.

Random violent crime is just not there, so you will be fine providing you pay your bills and behave yourself.

safety tip number 1, don't get too drunk.

and really don't get drunk alone.

Agree with this totally. Virtually the only westeners I have ever seen getting into any kind of trouble is when they have had too much to drink and are not in control of the situation.

When Thais see this and you do even the slightest thing to give them offence or annoyance they'll take advantage of you.

In some cases you may even deserve it for being a prat. But, generally Thais will pay you back with interest just to let you know whose boss.

I regularly go out in downtown Bangkok, have done it for years and sometimes might even be drunk. Worst to happen is to get your phone and wallet stolen by pickpockets. Best to avoid this is to take taxi back home even if it is only short trip.

Random violent crime is just not there, so you will be fine providing you pay your bills and behave yourself.

That's like people arguing that you don't insurence "I've been here for years without insurence, nothing happened" It's fine until something happens. And let's be real, being drunk at night you run a higher risk of running in to trouble than otherwise. I agree that Thailand is way safer than many other 3rd world countries. Bangkok is not Rio de Janeiro but if someone is asking for safety advice, avoid too drunken ventures at night is a good way to start.

That's like people arguing that you don't insurence "I've been here for years without insurence, nothing happened" It's fine until something happens. And let's be real, being drunk at night you run a higher risk of running in to trouble than otherwise. I agree that Thailand is way safer than many other 3rd world countries. Bangkok is not Rio de Janeiro but if someone is asking for safety advice, avoid too drunken ventures at night is a good way to start.

No it's not, just stating the facts. And my insurance coverage is fine thank you :)

If you bother to read my post you see my statement simply was that by getting drunk in downtown bangkok you run a risk getting your stuff stolen and nothing else if you behave yourself and you can minimize the risk by using taxis.

While i agree people are more prone to get themselves into trouble when drunk there is no point of advising anyone not to drink alcohol in Thailand or "get drunk" when it is perfectly safe to do so in downtown bangkok entertainment areas if you behave yourself.

No it's not, just stating the facts. And my insurance coverage is fine thank you :)

If you bother to read my post you see my statement simply was that by getting drunk in downtown bangkok you run a risk getting your stuff stolen and nothing else if you behave yourself and you can minimize the risk by using taxis.

While i agree people are more prone to get themselves into trouble when drunk there is no point of advising anyone not to drink alcohol in Thailand or "get drunk" when it is perfectly safe to do so in downtown bangkok entertainment areas if you behave yourself.

NOTHING good ever happens when you are drunk

I've walked around alone all over Bangkok late at night hundreds of times and never have felt the least bit afraid. Only big city I feel safer at night in is Singapore.

Of course, if you're a belligerent drunk and like to start trouble you will find it.

C'mon, reading the posts here it seems most tv members have met their wifes in bar while drinking. Not sure if it is good or bad thing though.... :)

Agreed.

Avoid drinking any shorts in gogo bars too. Can be bad hangovers.

right on!! The other one is keep up your regular sleeping habits..up at 7 or 8 am... in bed at 10 or 11 pm..easy..and just go out late once in a blue moon..easy for me to say, hard/ impossible for many to do. The odd time when I do go out to Bangla road in Phuket( or wherever in BKK) and come home at 4 am, the next day sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!! why bother???????????

i always advise carrying a folding knive- the gentlemans tool which we have been carrying since day 1

all sorts of reasons from the obvious to the not so

its got me out of few nasty situations and allowed me to be of assistance to others

i only suggest socially resonsible folk should do this

ladys ought to carry a mace

and always have a mobile on them

a rape sound alarm is good

bangkok seems pretty safe to me compared to some citys back home

but you never know when trouble may hit