Poor People Seem Happier In Los

cognos

So let me see if I understand you. Because rural Thais -- let's say in Issan -- live a simple bucolic life, they can't own property, can't learn to read and write, have their families split up as one or more are sold to the highest bidder, are whipped and beaten for any minor infraction, cannot travel off the plantation on which they live even to go to the local market, and sit around all day singing "I loves you Porgy" (or in this case Noi).

Probably more in common with present day (not slave era) African Americans. They have the right to do everything but they simply just don't go the distance and are under represented in nearly every single avenue of success (and I don't think a handful of success stories can ever offset the issues the population as a whole have) besides the ones where their pure physical abilities are typically unmatched. They end up as grunts in the military, are the peons of the police force, and of course the huge pool of basic and semi skilled labor. Their lives are treading water, living day to day. After awhile, you stop dreaming of 5-10-15 years down the road... and you find that you are just dreaming about making it through tomorrow. I could go on if you aren't all depressed enough yet....

:)

Edited by Heng

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I booked marked an article I read on Thai culture some time ago and this part of the article says it for me as to why poor Thai's seem happier.

We have a saying where I come from..

"Be happy with your lot, things could be a lot worse."

The below from the article says it better IMO.

"Mai Pen Rai .

Mai Pen Rai means 'never mind' (or more literally 'it's nothing'). Symbolising Thailand's unofficial national philosophy these three little words help to calm the heart of a nation. Mai Pen Rai enables the Thai people to retain their composure, keep smiling and be happy in everything they do.

Thai people care little about trifling things. If they are frustrated, instead of getting angry they simply say Mai Pen Rai and solve the problem by some other means. Thai people believe strongly in avoiding confrontation, which is one of the reasons travel in Thailand is such a pleasure.

To the Thais, foreigners over-worry, see trouble where there is none, and are constantly fretting over the future. When Thai people think about their future, they are optimistic.

If they are not so happy now, they believe they are sure to be in their next life!"

Edited by MB1

My Thai family regard the rich, parasitic Bangkok vermin with much the same loathing and contempt, but also know that they have to show deference in order to survive. One day, perhaps, a Morales-type leader will emerge able to lead the real Thai rural masses to their rightful place.

So how long have you been a Communist?

"rightful place" just where is that? At the helm of a cruise ship, in the cabin of a Bowing 747 or behind the CFO's desk? Maybe at the head of a surgeon's table, would be befitting of their education? (or lack of)

Sorry, but I do not agree that the poor are some how deserving of high paying jobs because they breathe.

So let me see if I understand you. Because rural Thais -- let's say in Issan -- live a simple bucolic life, they can't own property, can't learn to read and write, have their families split up as one or more are sold to the highest bidder, are whipped and beaten for any minor infraction, cannot travel off the plantation on which they live even to go to the local market, and sit around all day singing "I loves you Porgy" (or in this case Noi).

Probably more in common with present day (not slave era) African Americans. They have the right to do everything but they simply just don't go the distance and are under represented in nearly every single avenue of success (and I don't think a handful of success stories can ever offset the issues the population as a whole have) besides the ones where their pure physical abilities are typically unmatched. They end up as grunts in the military, are the peons of the police force, and of course the huge pool of basic and semi skilled labor. Their lives are treading water, living day to day. After awhile, you stop dreaming of 5-10-15 years down the road... and you find that you are just dreaming about making it through tomorrow. I could go on if you aren't all depressed enough yet....

:)

Young Jeezy can bake a cake in a half an hour.