Rimping Nawarot Supermarket

john b good

Yes a positive plug from jbg.

Yesterday I visited Rimping and bought a bunch of stuff.

I passed through the checkout, went to the car park and put the items in the trunk of my car and drove home.

Upon arrival back home I thought "there seems to be a few items missing"

I checked in the trunk of the car again and 'no nothing there' so I drove back to Rimping and spoke with the girl on the front counter and explained the matter. We went to the checkout and no, there was nothing there i.e. "my missing items" were not there.

I thought that perhaps I had left the last couple of bags at the checkout (and a following customer might have inadvertently took them along with their own) so I was not making a big issue of it.

I told the front desk girl that I would return home do a double check just to be sure that the Alzheimers had not kicked in.

Anyway upon checking back home I found that no, the "missing items" were not here and that they were indeed missing.

So I phoned and spoke to the girl on the front desk confirming that the items were no here.

Around 30 - 45 minutes later I got a call from the same girl and she said "we have found the missing items" and that she would have them delivered. I said don't worry and that I would return today and pick them up.

The GF went over this morning and arrived back with everything that was previously listed as "missing"

I still have no idea where things went belly up in the first instance but the Rimping staff got it sorted. It was about 350 - 400 bahts worth of stuff which wouldn't have broken the bank.

Bottom line is that the Rimping girls responded quickly and efficiently and the matter was resolved.

On a slightly different angle some people say that Rimping Supermarkets are "more expensive" than some other places. I have found stuff in Makro which is dearer than at Rimping, so it can be said that Rimping are not more expensive across all items.

The one thing (not so positive) that I do have to say about Rimping is that they don't seem to have an effective re-ordering system in place and that some items can be out of stock for 4 - 6 weeks.

I guess that they cannot be 100% perfect in every way :)

Edited by john b good

Rim Ping Nawarot is my favorite grocery store in CM. I'd go there every week, but it's far away from our current condo so I just go once a month or so and stock up on the things I can't get at the sorry-excuse-for-grocery-store known as Tops in the basement of KSK. Its best feature is the fact that it's a two minute walk away from home.

So, when I venture into Rim Ping Nawarot I always spend enough to qualify for their free home delivery. Unlike other stores, the driver at this Rim Ping always offers to take me home, along with my groceries! Sometimes I have problems finding a song thaew at that store so the driver's offer of a free ride is a nice perk and I know that the stuff is coming home right away, rather than sitting around for a few hours. Of course, I give him a tip which may explain why he's always so eager to drive me home with the groceries!

Most of the times I go to Rimping I see shopping cards loaded full of the orange plastic bags. Why people don't buy a shopping bag. I am sure you don't miss any of your plastic ones anymore! ( the other reason I don't have to mention)

Most of the times I go to Rimping I see shopping cards loaded full of the orange plastic bags. Why people don't buy a shopping bag. I am sure you don't miss any of your plastic ones anymore! ( the other reason I don't have to mention)

On some of my visits to Rimping I might leave with between 12 - 15 orange bags.

And all the orange bags are put to good use (IMHO) to take kitchen and household waste which ultimately goes in the wheelie bin.

I know all about the arguments regarding how long plastic takes to break down and to be considered harmless. But on the other side of the coin it is better for them (the plastic bags "and their contents") to go into landfills rather than have all the rubbish lying on pavements around the city as was the case 18 - 20 years ago.

Edited by john b good

Rimping will allow you to re-use their plastic bags & they make a donation to charity if you do this. So use them until they are too old & tatty and then recycle them as garbage bags. :)

Indeed. Take a shopping bag to the other places until they catch on.

On a slightly different angle some people say that Rimping Supermarkets are "more expensive" than some other places. I have found stuff in Makro which is dearer than at Rimping, so it can be said that Rimping are not more expensive across all items.

Rimping can't be beat. I wouldn't shop anywhere else (en-masse). It is more expensive overall but you can thank the quality for that, plus the points system is a good deal (had some great items over the years), and not to mention the lack of the Tesco/Carrefour family out for the day crowd :D The bakery at the airport one is particularly :)

I go to Rimping for things I can't get at Tesco. But, I buy so very little that it's no big deal anyway. Other than what I need for a few sandwiches I hardly buy any food other than fresh fruit... and the fruit I buy at the Thai markets. All my plastic bags get used for what tiny bit of trash I might throw out... orange peelings, melon skin and pineapple rinds.