How Can I Access 10k Out Of My Bank Back Home ?

hi, i need 10k pounds from my uk bank ( abbey ) my atm works here fine..i cannot afford to fly back to uk to get the money so im wondering how i can access it ? im building a house for the wife in issan and i originally thought i would be able to access the money if i went into a thai bank with my passport and made a swift transfer from this side(los) but i cannot.....now im left thinking that i could draw out 300 pounds everyday now untill i get the 10k but the atms are all charging 150 thb a hit..any ideas on how i can access this money ? also any free atms left in thailand ?

thanks in advance

Swift transfers can only occur when initiated from the person holding the account at the bank where the funds are located. For you that means either you need to be physically present at your UK bank to make a Swift transfer or already have done a setup process with the bank to make a Swift transfer via phone call or internet banking.

If another person in the UK has signing authority to this account they could make a swift transfer.

Anyone one else have a brilliant idea?

hi, i need 10k pounds from my uk bank ( abbey ) my atm works here fine..i cannot afford to fly back to uk to get the money so im wondering how i can access it ? im building a house for the wife in issan and i originally thought i would be able to access the money if i went into a thai bank with my passport and made a swift transfer from this side(los) but i cannot.....now im left thinking that i could draw out 300 pounds everyday now untill i get the 10k but the atms are all charging 150 thb a hit..any ideas on how i can access this money ? also any free atms left in thailand ?

thanks in advance

I am with Abbey as well. I set up a MoneyBookers account which has a Lloyds UK branch. I then telephoned Abbey asking them to transfer the money to that account (they give you an ID number), after 2/3 days MB email you to say money has been uploaded into your account. You can then download the money to your nominated Thai bank. Voila! The transfer in UK is FREE as it's wire transfer from bank to bank and the MB fee is 88.8 baht when I've sent about £1000 - check how much for 10k tho'. I'm not sure if I can put links so this may be deleted money bookers

Good luck.

I've done it with the Natwest by mailing them a letter authorising the transfer and giving the receiving bank details including Swift code and also adding my contact telephone number. They then called me to check security details and ensure it was indeed me that sent the letter and it all went through in a couple of days (don't know the exact timescale as I wasn't in Thailand at the time).

I don't know how these ex-building society banks work but they claim now to be high street banks so they should manage it, give them a call and ask the question.

my atm now does not work ,,was working 2 days ago in bangkok bank but before it worked at bangkok bank it didnt work in another atm... but have tried ayuthya and siam banks today and both declined the card ..fk this ! can my brother send me money 10k and what is the cheapest way for him to do this ? western union will be too much..if he puts 10k into his own account then transfers it to my thai account would that work ? help!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dmax

I took out around 6k in one transaction at the Foreign Exchange desk at my local Bangkok Bank just using my Nationwide Debit card, could try that.

im going to try this on monday...hope it works thanks

I took out around 6k in one transaction at the Foreign Exchange desk at my local Bangkok Bank just using my Nationwide Debit card, could try that.

im going to try this on monday...hope it works thanks

dont forget your passport..

Call your bank in the UK and tell them that you are going to try to make a large trasaction from Thailand using your debit card, tell them the amount, and tell them not to block the transaction or put a "lock" on the card.

My dumb azz banks still put a lock on my cards, for no appearant reason every couple of months, after usings the same accounts overseas for the better part of ten years.

They usually manage to do this on a Saturday, so have to wait until Monday night to call the bank(s).

thanks in advance

Phone you bank, using skype..it's cheap..and ask them how you can set up a GBP transfer into your bank here in Thailand..Transfer only in GBP and your bank here will do the exchange at about TT rate. They may except just a letter from you and maybe want to phone you back and confirm before a transfer is made.

I'm with the Royal bank of Scotland. They have provided me with a set of numbers. When I want to transfer money I just fax them instructions and put the next number from the set on the fax..if it matches their next number (they have a duplicate set of numbers) then they will accept my fax request...clearly the bank needs to employ some security policy..this is theirs.

I looked at money brokers, infact I am registered with them..I didn't like the exchange rate that they quoted me...I got a much better rate by sending GBP here.

Abbey allow you to setup a SWIFT transfer if you fax them authorisation with a copy of your passport and proof of your account i.e. a bank statement. Best bet is to phone their call centre on +441908237963 and ask them for the fax number and confirm everything they need in case they've changed the rules since I had to do it last.

In the longer term your better off moving to a better UK bank to be honest, I know HSBC UK allow you to setup international SWIFT transfers using their online banking and it's a more than half the price of what Abbey will sting you for to do the transfer. Abbey is around £25 for the transfer, HSBC is around £9.

Martin

thanks in advance

I use a company called "hifx" to transfer money from the UK to LOS (or anywhere for that matter). Last year I transferred around 400,000 baht with no problems to my wifes bank account and most of all NO HASSLE!! For lesser amounts (up to £50k I think) you can setup an online account and do this over the internet otherwise it would be done over the phone for larger amounts. Whats good about these guys is you have the option of transferring a fixed amount i.e. you can t/f a set amount of £s to baht or set amount of baht and once you choose the amount it will give you a LIVE updated price for the exchange rate as per what is happening in the market. Once you are happy with the rate and authorise the transfer, then this rate is locked in. I transferred 50,000 baht on Thursday and I was charged a total of £940 all in (around 53bht to the £). I know from my previous experience that there was no hidden costs and my wife got the exact amount I sent. From comparing the exchange rate this week from that in the banks of Thailand to what I got with these guys, it worked out that the transfer cost me around 900bht to send the 50,000bht (based on the banks rate at around 54bht to the £). Taking into consideration the 150bht per withdrawal charge from ATMs + the fact that my NATIONWIDE card isn't reliable(another story for another day), I can honestly say this is how I will personally be transferring/withdrawing money in the future (i.e using this service and withdrawing using a local LOS ATM card).

I hope you find this of benefit mate.

Abbey allow you to setup a SWIFT transfer if you fax them authorisation with a copy of your passport and proof of your account i.e. a bank statement. Best bet is to phone their call centre on +441908237963 and ask them for the fax number and confirm everything they need in case they've changed the rules since I had to do it last.

In the longer term your better off moving to a better UK bank to be honest, I know HSBC UK allow you to setup international SWIFT transfers using their online banking and it's a more than half the price of what Abbey will sting you for to do the transfer. Abbey is around £25 for the transfer, HSBC is around £9.

Martin

HSBC charged me £17 for every online transfer to a Thai bank I have done in recent times. But I generally transfer more than £2,000 at any one time, so your £9 is correct for a smaller amount. I'm sure there are cheaper ways like some mentioned here (the Thai receiving bank also takes off its cut, which is often about the same - although the exchange rate has always been a reasonable one) but I agree that HSBC's online transfer system works well and I have even receieved funds the next working day on occasions (they quote 'up to 4 working days' - it's nearly always less, particularly if you do it early in the day)

open a bank account in Thai,with on line banking takes about 5 days,go on line with your UK bank and transfer your money for free,

im told by my own bank manager if you transfer money to Thai from a UK bank the receiving bank will hold 30% of the money for a period of time,can be 90 days,

this is fact has i have been down this route,

open a bank account in Thai,with on line banking takes about 5 days,go on line with your UK bank and transfer your money for free,

im told by my own bank manager if you transfer money to Thai from a UK bank the receiving bank will hold 30% of the money for a period of time,can be 90 days,

Bullocks, the money is in my account in 48 hours, the full 100%.

I think that your bank manager and you are somewhat confused here! There was a time about two years ago when Bank of Thailand did have procedures in place to limit capital inflows and that resulted in the equivalent of a temporary tax that amounted to around 30% of incoming funds, in practice the rule did not impact most people and reasonable amounts of cash were allowed in and out without being impacted - if you were caught up in that process it might be that the amounts involved were very large or that you didn't have a satisfactory (safe) reason for wanting to bring the cash into the country, the alternative is that you we scammed, don't know.

I think that your bank manager and you are somewhat confused here! There was a time about two years ago when Bank of Thailand did have procedures in place to limit capital inflows and that resulted in the equivalent of a temporary tax that amounted to around 30% of incoming funds, in practice the rule did not impact most people and reasonable amounts of cash were allowed in and out without being impacted - if you were caught up in that process it might be that the amounts involved were very large or that you didn't have a satisfactory (safe) reason for wanting to bring the cash into the country, the alternative is that you we scammed, don't know.

On a trip out here a few years ago I unexpectedly ran out of funds, had no card, only my savings bank account number. I discovered that most banks have some kind of office here in Bangkok, so I did a search and sure enough I found my (smallish) OZ bank's office. Just by providing my bank account details and showing my passport I was able to withdraw $3,000 on the spot. My first step would be to see if your bank has an office/agent here. Or as someone else suggested ring/email your bank back home. Good luck.

Contact the Abbey helpline tell them what you want, they will give you a fax number, fill out the online swift form, fax that with copy of passport and uk driving licence and the transfer will be done. I did this a while ago for around £15000 fees £20. Alternatively as suggested go to a bank here with a currency exchange booth and check their limit, I regularly draw £1000, all I need is my debit card and passport, no fees either end and a good exchange rate when the debit hits my uk bank.

Are you sure of this? I tried to transfer money from my Natwest account online but it needs either a sort code or an IBAN number, so the destination account has to be in Europe. I have to admit it was a couple of years back. Now have an offshore account so it doesn't affect me any more but I'd be interested if there have been changes.