Siam Commercial Bank

have had a lot of trouble with this bank:

Trouble transfering money from my american accounts..

ATM card not being usable at non - siam atm!

I've had it... so am looking for an alternative, that is more trouble free in regards to money tranfers from US banks..

& reliable atms.

I use SCB. What problems did you have with your SWIFT transfers from the US? I have never had any problem whatsoever with SCB receiving my SWIFT transfers. The problems have always been with the US banks. Perhaps you should detail more about the problems you are having as it may have nothing to do with SCB.

I had a problem with my bank in America doing a transfer once. My son did the paperwork at the bank, email me a copy of the transaction. But when my bank forwarded the wire transfer to it head office they screwed up the account number for my Bangkok Bank account. I must have made 10 phone calls to the states, people very unhelpful even when they knew it was there mistake. Bangkok Bank was great, I spoke to them and they told me they received the funds but the name and account number did not match and they had to return it. Finally my bank in the USA got the funds back and retransmitted them with the correct number. Bangkok Bank even emailed me when the funds arrived in my account in Bangkok knowing I was concern about the money.

Edited by Nowhereman60

:D:D

Need to say that, never experienced any problems with SCB for about 18 years, never got one Baht lost, money transfers always really fast, regarding Kasikorn Thai and Bangkok Bank I can produce some nice issues.

Further using UOB former ASIA could be recommended. Just my two cents. :)

SCB for me has always been perfect. Over 4 years now and at least 4 transfers a year from Chase Bank in US using the old method of calling them to do the transfer and now the last 2 years doing transfers on line. No issues what-so-ever and the cash is always here in 24 hours or less. Oh by the way Chase has also been fine just the US banking regulations can be a pain sometimes

The one gripe that I do have with SCB is the way they charge for ATM transactions overseas vs. other banks. SCB consistently charges more for the withdrawal by way of currency conversion when compared to the exact same withdrawal from other Thai banks. For this reason I just don't use SCB for overseas ATM cash withdrawals.

They're all as bad as each other at times.

I had issues with Kasikorn and closed my account with them for TMB who so far have been good.

But someone will always have a problem with their bank so if you don'y bank with one that someone has a complaint about you'll be keeping all your money under your matress.

And I find the girls more attractive in SCB than in other banks. But maybe I just like the uniforms :)

In some twelve years I have had far far fewer complaints about Thai banks than UK banks.

In fact, now I start thinking about the arrogant, unhelpful and overcharging UK banks, which, by the way, have also been instrumental in driving the UK and the world into a financial crisis, I must go the fridge and get another beer. BASTARDS.

problems obtaining the "US correspoding bank number"

THis is the main problem.. What is this? It's my US banks that "need" this number before transfering..

Note: This does not mean the swift code, my bank account number, or routing number. It is something else, apparently.

They say they need my Thai bank to give them this mystery number called: "US correspoding bank number"

Siam bank is completely clueless, as to what this number is.

Edited by stevo

problems obtaining the "US correspoding bank number"

THis is the main problem.. What is this? It's my US banks that "need" this number before transfering..

Note: This does not mean the swift code, my bank account number, or routing number. It is something else, apparently.

They say they need my Thai bank to give them this mystery number called: "US correspoding bank number"

Siam bank is completely clueless, as to what this number is.

I think the correspondent bank for SCB in the US is Citibank.

This thread seems to back it up (see post 5)

Thai Visa - wiring money

Bangkok Bank has a branch in the US (New York). This should be a pretty straight forward process. The banks should easily be able to work out which correspondents to use, as this is how SWIFT works, correspondents are banks who have accounts with each other to enable the transfer.

The Thai bank should not need to know about your banks's SWIFT code. You should be able to tell your US bank the SWIFT code of the Thai bank you want to transfer to, and they will work out which correspondent(s) to use.

Depending on the amount you will get a rate, if it is a large amount you can agree and FX contract. You can also transfer USD into a USD account in a Thai bank. Bangkok Bank provides accounts in 13 foreign currencies (including USD) and you can access them from their iBanking service.

Instructions on how to transfer funds into the US can be found on the BangkokBank.Com website.

If you use Bangkok Bank you can also transfer via the domestic ACH system which saves transfer fees.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/...from%20USA.aspx

================================================================================

==============

Convenient and safe via US ACH system and Bangkok Bank's New York Branch Holders of US bank accounts can save on fees for international funds transfers by transferring funds from the United States to Thailand via the US Automated Clearing House system (US ACH) and Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

By stipulating the 9-digit routing number for Bangkok Bank's New York branch (026008691) in your transfer instruction, the funds will be transferred via the US ACH system directly to the receiver's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, for a lower fee than most other international wire transfer services.

Benefits of the service

• Fees for funds transfers via the US ACH system and Bangkok Bank's New York branch are up to USD 20 lower than most other international wire transfer services in the US.
  • You can make transfers directly online via the internet banking service provided by your own bank in the US.
  • You will enjoy a better exchange rate because the USD amount will be converted to Thai Baht at the daily Bangkok Bank exchange rate in Thailand.

Who can use it?The service is available for holders of US bank accounts transferring funds to recipients with a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. It is particularly useful for:

• Making funds transfers via the internet banking services of US banks
  • Receiving payments from US government agencies or private organizations (Direct Deposit service)
  • Receiving E-Commerce payments from online payment service providers in the US

Step-by-step instructionsThe following step-by-step instructions are available:

- Advice to senders using US bank internet banking service

- Advice to Bangkok Bank customers receiving payments from US government agencies or private organizations (Direct Deposit)

- Advice to e-commerce business operators in Thailand

Click here to view fees

For more information, please call Bualuang Phone on 1333 or (66) 0-2645-5555 or Bangkok Bank's New York branch on (1-212) 422-8200.

Important Note

You cannot transfer funds from Bangkok Bank's account in Thailand to your account with banks or online payment service providers in the US via Bangkok Bank's New York branch and the ACH system. If you initiate direct debit or ACH debit transactions to Bangkok Bank's New York branch, banks in the US and online payment service providers may suspend your account.

Edited by ianguygil

I have done wires from four different USA banks to SCB. Not even one has demanded the corresponding US bank. Sometimes they ask for that on the form, and either it is left blank, or the SWIFT code is put there. If I were you i would be looking for a new US bank. SCB is an excellent That bank.

The best service I had from a Thai bank was with Krung Thai. The worst was Kasikorn. I use SCB because the branches are convenient to me. The last wire transfer from Citibank US was in my SCM account two hours later. SCB called me and told me the exchange rate I received, the amount received and that Citibank NY took $15 (double dip) in addition to the normal $30 fee from Citibank. I have never had a problem with SCB.

Based on my experience, the US bank should know themselves what correspondent bank they use going to Thailand. Again, to my view, this is clearly an issue with the US bank, not SCB. As above, once the US bank sends the funds, it has never taken more than 24 hours to get to my SCB account.

A side note: the funds should be sent in DOLLARS, not baht.

Edited by Jingthing

Its important that you not only put the Swift number of yourThai bank, but also the name and correct adress of the branch were your account is. Otherwise sometimes its held up in headoffice

Maybe. Maybe not. I just set up a SWIFT with Citibank US and when I entered the SWIFT they automatically populated the address field with their record of the main Bangkok address. There was no problem because of that. I agree it is usually a good idea to put the home branch address, it is often specifically requested.

Edited by Jingthing

i hate SCB. on a recent trip to get a new ATM card, they screwed me around for over an hour so they could give me the hard sell on some insurance thing. when i finally got the card they charged 300 baht. a new ATM card in bangkok bank takes 10 minutes and is free.

SCB charges 20baht to use there own ATM machines at any other branch but mine. BKK bank, free.

SCB took 2 hours to write a letter to immigration to verify the accounts and refused to put the correct dates because of the way their system calculates interest.

i've switch to bangkok bank now.

i hate SCB. on a recent trip to get a new ATM card, they screwed me around for over an hour so they could give me the hard sell on some insurance thing. when i finally got the card they charged 300 baht. a new ATM card in bangkok bank takes 10 minutes and is free.

SCB charges 20baht to use there own ATM machines at any other branch but mine. BKK bank, free.

SCB took 2 hours to write a letter to immigration to verify the accounts and refused to put the correct dates because of the way their system calculates interest.

i've switch to bangkok bank now.

Something tells me that the folks at SCB don't like the way you look or smell. What did you do to p*ss them off?

Edited by longball53098

The problem is your US bank. They can easily look up that information on there computer with the SWIFT code you provide. I use a local Denver bank group and they had no issue in doing so and always tell me the bank they will be using for transfer (which for last few years is Chase New York for my Bangkok Bank account) as there are several choices.

As for ATM card not working are you saying you can not obtain cash in another ATM that is marked ATM Pool?

• 2 weeks later...
SCB for me has always been perfect. Over 4 years now and at least 4 transfers a year from Chase Bank in US using the old method of calling them to do the transfer and now the last 2 years doing transfers on line. No issues what-so-ever and the cash is always here in 24 hours or less. Oh by the way Chase has also been fine just the US banking regulations can be a pain sometimes

hello there, i am trying myself to wire money online fro

hello there, i am trying myself, to wire money online from my chase account in NY, beside the nightmare of fone calls and activation code, i made it as far as add recipient, have been asked the routing number, and SICOTHBK was refused, now activation code panel is block for 24 hours, but when reactivated, what shall i put as a routing number for my Siam Account ...

very appreciated

best Patrick