Mega Fresh Water Fishing Charlong?

minefield

http://www.megafishingthailand.com/content/view/73/40/

I'm not sure where I got this from but looking at the fish on this web sit and the size of the fish it's blow en me away, I can not wait to get there, Both my fly rods are 5 and 6 wt and by the looks of those fish I'm going to need at least 7-8wt fly rod.

can anyone enlighten me, Are those fish just one offs or what??

Most of the places in that brochure are pay for play fishing ponds outside resort areas. Some are well run and others are questionable. The standard method of fishing is with bait and spinning gear or level wind reels. There are a few exceptions in the big reservoirs where the lakes are open to the public. However, lakes open to the public are also fished extensively by local fishermen with nets. I do not know of a reservoir in Thailand that does not have locals living on it in floating homes. The locals subsist on eating the fish they catch in nets. That makes the success ratio for sports anglers much lower. And, all locals kill everything they catch, which means most edible species don't live long enough to reach a respectable size.

If you only have limited time and do not know the various locations you might be better off going to one of the pay for play fishing ponds. If you are unguided then the cost for a day's fishing is reasonable. But, you still need to find your way to and from the lake. The fellows at the many fishing stores in Thailand will set you straight on what to use locally.

The Pay for play fishing ponds import various species from other countries and stock their ponds. The fish in the ponds are like pets and get caught multiple times. Dream Lake in Chiang Mai has a FEW arapaima, some peacock bass, common snakeheads, pacu and some other species. Most ponds have the huge Mekong catfish that grow to over 100 pounds, but average closer to 20 pounds. The Mekong catfish will take processed bread, but we tie a white rabbit fur fly that SOMETIMES works if we chum the water first. A few ponds near Bangkok have Barramundi that were imported from Australia.

There are also a few rivers near the Myanmar border that have native mahseer and a few other species, but you REALLY need to be guided to find the right places. The problem with the big reservoirs is not having a boat available and not knowing where to fish. Not every location has good fishing. That is where the guides earn their money.

I'm not sure where I got this from but looking at the fish on this web sit and the size of the fish it's blow en me away, I can not wait to get there, Both my fly rods are 5 and 6 wt and by the looks of those fish I'm going to need at least 7-8wt fly rod.

I couldn't find this place when I was in Phuket. So I gave up and went to Gillham's instead - I was pretty fed up at the time but thinking back it was the best thing that could have happened as Gillham's was fantastic.

I think I would have my trusty 10wt for some of these monster fish - might even borrow a pals 12wt.

There are many places around with fish like you saw. The trick is finding them. As another poster says, it pays to have a knowledgeable guide if you are serious. If you want to stay in the Bangkok area to fish, I could help you out with a few good places that wont rip you off. There are many types of fish to be caught. The pics I have put in will give you some idea! They keep the big ones in the lake! Pm me if you are interested.

post-61805-1256526387_thumb.jpg

post-61805-1256526449_thumb.jpg

post-61805-1256526530_thumb.jpg

ok the articial you have posted if from megafishing

the interesting things is that the pics are from neil, here you can find his number

http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/contact_us/index.html

Neil is a great guide and a really nice guy!!

if you give him a bell he should be able to help you.

you will find that your 6 wt will do the trick in most places, it just means that you have more fun!!!!

if you want to know anything about fishing in Thailand then drop me a pm I can put you in touch with most lakes.

as for colors a white fly with a dash of pink works well, along with a pure black fly. if you have something that looks like a dark green bait fish then that will produce really well, rattles help as well.

if you want to know more about flies and lakes then like I say drop me a pm.