Making An Horno (pizza Brick Oven)

kikoman

I was sitting on my back porch looking a my wife's current corn crop, when I noticed a couple of items in the back yard.

a cement 1 meter round with a bottom

post-91962-1256611562_thumb.jpg

Looking over at my neighbors yard ,I noticed his single bamboo chicken enclosure.

it was about the right size as I wanted my oven, he told me where he had them made and I went there and order two at the price 120 baht for small, 150 baht for large.post-91962-1256611405_thumb.jpg

We made a foundation, with reinforced still, bigger than the 1 meter base.

With the help of our neighbors, we put the base on the foundation.

I put the bamboo forms on top of the base, my little wife was inside the base and drew a circle on the base of the inside of the bamboo forms.

we went to Lat Yao and found 40 small adobe size red brick at 8baht each and purchased 400 of the small Thai red brick for 70 baht per hundred.post-91962-1256611300_thumb.jpg

I then cemented the adobe brick to the outline my wife made on the base, I used a hand grinder to cut the end bricks to size.

I then cemented two blocks high on each side of the door, allowed them to dry.post-91962-1256612846_thumb.jpg

I measured the door and how high I wanted it and made the door and a board the same size as the door and cemented the doorway in place. While I was waiting for that to dry , the wife wired the two bamboo froms together and I cut out the doorway with a hand saw.

the next day we placed the bamboo forms in place and cemented around the forms until we reached the top of the door, may not be necessary but I did not want to overload the bamboo forms.

The next day we completed the dome leaving an exhaust hole in the back with a tomato can, cut out at both ends.post-91962-1256613817_thumb.jpgpost-91962-1256613894_thumb.jpg

Went them made a mixture of 3 parts clay, 6 parts sand. and 1 part cement. mix it together and then apply by putting big goops of the mixture onto your hand and slap it on the dome. The walls should be 4" thick.

more to follow !

Ask all the question you want I will not be accessible tomorrow, I will be back the day after,

Cheers

Attatment 1 and #3 should be reversed!

Edited by kikoman

Your horno really looks like a wonderful oven, great job!! What better way to spend your free time here than to take on an interesting and useful project that can actually improve your lifestyle? My hat's off to you, Slack Jaw Chef (for his verticle smoker, etc!), and the rest for posting such inspiring home projects. Thanks very much!!

The round thing is commonly used for outdoor toilets. Very interesting to put the chicken pen on top of it and seal it with concrete to make an oven.

I could not follow some of your description.........

Did you use a brick base for the first layer (the absolute bottom)?

Did you create a firebox at the bottom?

Did you seal the top portion (oven) from the bottom portion? How? With what? Total seal? This section (middle section) seems critical to me.

Is there smoke coming from the bottom to the top and out the back?

Is in an oven or a smoker?

For me, I can see it as a possible business opportunity in Thailand, especially if I could use it to smoke meat and cook pizza.

Yeah interrsting and inventive - for sure, but I have similiar problems - following up - the OP's instructions are a bit partial in crucial points, could he give us some more enlightenment please!?

check this guy out:

Wood Oven

Edited by Samuian

WOW excellent what a mind..I was in Portugal some years back and that sort of oven was the means of baking their great bread too... just what I want to do..have more clay than I can use and lots space.. more details as other posters suggest would be great..goodonya mate

david

The round thing is commonly used for outdoor toilets. Very interesting to put the chicken pen on top of it and seal it with concrete to make an oven.

I could not follow some of your description.........

Did you use a brick base for the first layer (the absolute bottom)?

Did you create a firebox at the bottom?

Did you seal the top portion (oven) from the bottom portion? How? With what? Total seal? This section (middle section) seems critical to me.

Is there smoke coming from the bottom to the top and out the back?

Is in an oven or a smoker?

For me, I can see it as a possible business opportunity in Thailand, especially if I could use it to smoke meat and cook pizza.

The round things was used to raise Pla Douk, or catfish .

I will include a Site that explains how an Horno works,

Do people not have Hornos in Texas ?

I personally have seen one in Brownwood ,where one of my Brothers lived.

heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm

read it you need to have an understanding of how it works to make a decision if you want one.

It is not a smoker, there are threads that address smokers ,that you have used, they are the experts on that subject and I would suggest you direct your question concerning smokers to them.

The horno is an oven used to cook bread,and most any other item you choose to cook in an oven!

post-91962-1256629046_thumb.jpg

The fire box is in the top ,as the picture shows! the cooking surface is a brick layer, I guess one could call it an Absolute bottom.

The bottom serves for nothing other than a base for the layer of brick and has a solid cement bottom. the one shown in the picture is right side up and was used as a planter.

If you make one have someone make it for you, I fear you may use the outdoor tiolet!

Edited by kikoman

I was sitting on my back porch looking a my wife's current corn crop, when I noticed a couple of items in the back yard.

a cement 1 meter round with a bottom

post-91962-1256611562_thumb.jpg

Looking over at my neighbors yard ,I noticed his single bamboo chicken enclosure.

it was about the right size as I wanted my oven, he told me where he had them made and I went there and order two at the price 120 baht for small, 150 baht for large.post-91962-1256611405_thumb.jpg

We made a foundation, with reinforced still, bigger than the 1 meter base.

With the help of our neighbors, we put the base on the foundation.

I put the bamboo forms on top of the base, my little wife was inside the base and drew a circle on the base of the inside of the bamboo forms.

we went to Lat Yao and found 40 small adobe size red brick at 8baht each and purchased 400 of the small Thai red brick for 70 baht per hundred.post-91962-1256611300_thumb.jpg

I then cemented the adobe brick to the outline my wife made on the base, I used a hand grinder to cut the end bricks to size.

I then cemented two blocks high on each side of the door, allowed them to dry.post-91962-1256612846_thumb.jpg

I measured the door and how high I wanted it and made the door and a board the same size as the door and cemented the doorway in place. While I was waiting for that to dry , the wife wired the two bamboo forms together and I cut out the doorway with a hand saw.

the next day we placed the bamboo forms in place and cemented around the forms until we reached the top of the door, may not be necessary but I did not want to overload the bamboo forms.

The next day we completed the dome leaving an exhaust hole in the back with a tomato can, cut out at both ends.post-91962-1256613817_thumb.jpgpost-91962-1256613894_thumb.jpg

Went them made a mixture of 3 parts clay, 6 parts sand. and 1 part cement. mix it together and then apply by putting big goops of the mixture onto your hand and slap it on the dome. The walls should be 4" thick.

more to follow !

Ask all the question you want I will not be accessible tomorrow, I will be back the day after,

Cheers

Attachment 1 and #3 should be reversed!

WOW excellent what a mind..I was in Portugal some years back and that sort of oven was the means of baking their great bread too... just what I want to do..have more clay than I can use and lots space.. more details as other posters suggest would be great..goodonya mate

david

You need to make sure of your clay mixture, the 1st batch I used was a 50/50 mix and it cracked when it dried. Mix up some with the above mixture %, and see if it cracks.

If you decide to make one ,I will be most happy to help you.

Good Luck

Yeah interrsting and inventive - for sure, but I have similiar problems - following up - the OP's instructions are a bit partial in crucial points, could he give us some more enlightenment please!?

check this guy out:

Wood Oven

I am sorry about the instructions, I was asked by two other posters to explain the process I used to make the oven. it is hard to do because I did not take pictures as one poster did when making a smoker, it is much easier to follow if you can show a picture of what you are trying to explain.

Any question you need and,hopefully a better explanation ,feel free to ask.

Another good site is, heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm

it has numerous wood Ovens and if you like one ,just click on the picture and it will give a better understanding.

There are all kinds from Hi-tech to very simple ones.

again I will be glad to help you, if you decide to make one.

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

check this guy out:

Wood Oven

I am sorry about the instructions, I was asked by two other posters to explain the process I used to make the oven. it is hard to do because I did not take pictures as one poster did when making a smoker, it is much easier to follow if you can show a picture of what you are trying to explain.

Any question you need and,hopefully a better explanation ,feel free to ask.

Another good site is, heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm

it has numerous wood Ovens and if you like one ,just click on the picture and it will give a better understanding.

There are all kinds from Hi-tech to very simple ones.

again I will be glad to help you, if you decide to make one.

Cheers

...has been done a couple of post's further up - anyway kudos to you for letting us in

and for the links...!

Thanks for the link........I think I am getting it.

You started with a concrete, square platform just to keep it off the ground and provide support.

Then you put the "round concrete" object on top........I am guessing simply to make the oven higher off the ground (and yes, it is used as a component in outdoor toilets in Thailand.......and fish ponds :) and now OVENS!)

The open space on the bottom seems to be for, what, wood chips?

The actual oven is on top........the dome-like object.

How it works..........you start the fire and put it in the dome like object at the very back...........the pizza or bread goes in the front near the wooden door that you can insert to create heat and take off to let heat out.

There is a hole in the dome to allow the smoke to escape........I assume you have some type of damper on it to regulate the temperature inside.

The bricks and concrete mass store the heat generated by the fire in the back.

Seems like you need an easy way to clean out the coals from the back.........metal door?

INTERESTING..........how did I do? I found one picture that seems close to your concept:

post-36006-1256636855_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link........I think I am getting it.

You started with a concrete, square platform just to keep it off the ground and provide support.

Then you put the "round concrete" object on top........I am guessing simply to make the oven higher off the ground (and yes, it is used as a component in outdoor toilets in Thailand.......and fish ponds :) and now OVENS!)

The open space on the bottom seems to be for, what, wood chips?

The actual oven is on top........the dome-like object.

How it works..........you start the fire and put it in the dome like object at the very back...........the pizza or bread goes in the front near the wooden door that you can insert to create heat and take off to let heat out.

There is a hole in the dome to allow the smoke to escape........I assume you have some type of damper on it to regulate the temperature inside.

The bricks and concrete mass store the heat generated by the fire in the back.

Seems like you need an easy way to clean out the coals from the back.........metal door?

INTERESTING..........how did I do? I found one picture that seems close to your concept:

post-36006-1256636855_thumb.jpg

You were right with all your part about the upper dome, the cement ponds only function is to raise the height of the oven, it has no

other use. I had to add on the extension in the front. To accommodate the door way bricks that extend out of the oven ,I added the

bricks on the side to support the door way bricks. As I stated before I have not completed the project, but the lower opening has no

depth just the length of the bricks and has no functional use. Instead of using the concrete pond base you can build a base of concrete

block and leave an opening in the bottom to store wood!

My Horno is very low tech, my damper for the exhaust hole is a wet rag, that I stuff in there when I need to.

The Horno is heated by filling the fire box up with wood, setting fire to the wood that heats up the Horno mass. you put in a

thermometer and when the oven is hot enough , you sweep out the ashes out the front door of the Horno, and them swab the cooking

surface with a wet mop. ready to cook ,put the wet cloth into the exhaust hole and close the door.

I may try some open door cooking, by sweeping some burning wood to the right and left sides of the oven sweep/mop out the

middle ,leave the exhaust open and cook that way,I see people cooking pizza that way.

Cheers.

Edited by kikoman

It looks like a nice deal.

I like that you used ready-made local sources where possible.

I want one !!

It is best to use what you already have to keep the cost down, But to many people cost is not important, to me it is!

You can use anything for a base or build your Horno at ground level . I have looked all over to try and find that Sunset Mag. oven article.

when I come back I will promise to find it or a Internet site for it.

Cheers

Kikoman

You can use vermiculite (available in Thailand) mixed with concrete for a good insulation layer below the slab and on top as well to hold in the heat. Fire bricks are also available if you want to do an igloo style oven. There is a good website www.fornobravo.com/forum/ with all kinds of excellent tips and instructions on how to do it. I built one a few years back and it was a great project keeps you out of trouble for a few months.

Edited by beammeup

You can use vermiculite (available in Thailand) mixed with concrete for a good insulation layer below the slab and on top as well to hold in the heat. Fire bricks are also available if you want to do an igloo style oven. There is a good website www.fornobravo.com/forum/ with all kinds of excellent tips and instructions on how to do it. I built one a few years back and it was a great project keeps you out of trouble for a few months.

Back to the original design by the OP...........the "round thing" that looks like a small section of a concrete pipe is inserted beneath the firebox (dome) to make it easier to get at.

My guess is that to maintain heat consistency you should fill that round thing up with dirt and rocks.........the cap it off with concrete, then vermiculite layer. To, me this is the critical layer of the device--what the bread or pizza actually rests on.

Or is it that important to use vermiculite? Will ordinary bricks do the job?

The entire concept is fascinating..........so easy in concept.......locally available.........the chicken-pen dome is a great idea. Just cover it up with masonry.

I feel like something is missing..........the firebox seems to be too close to the bread/pizza/door. Maybe you need two domes...........one in back for the firebox and another larger one comprising the oven.

The firebox, its seems to me, needs to have easier access to put wood/coals in and especially clean the area out after use..........maybe a trap door in the back for that and a front door where the bread/pizza is loaded?

Whatever, I can't wait to hear what the bread/pizza taste like from the first person to use the design over here.

You can use vermiculite (available in Thailand) mixed wi

The beauty of the project is you can use any thing you want to build it, if cost is no object you can have it built for you or purchase a ready made oven.

But I made my oven with items I had or would be easily attainable locally as well as inexpensive. I did go to the added expense of making the dome out of Thai red brick first.I could have omitted the brick and made the top half of the dome out of the clay mixture only (at least 4 inches thick) ,

Also instead of purchasing the bamboo chicken cages, I could have made a dome out of wet sand ,cover the sand with plastic and laid the 4 inches of clay on top -after the clay dried. open the door and remove the sand.

I also left out one step before I put on the top dome brick layer, I put down banana leaves , to keep the cement from falling into the fire pit. After the dome is completed , and while test firing the chicken dome and banana leaves will be burn out.

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

Here is a link to instructions on how to build an oven. http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/pompeii_oven.html

Sweet rig !!

I found the Sunset Magazine article.

www.sunset.com/.../how-to-make-backyard-adobe-oven-sunset

How to build Sunset's Classic Adobe Oven. Step by step Slide show.

I click on the site:

Page not found in search directly above(type in Sunset's Classic Adobe Oven- that will connect you to the Article!

Look it up, the 1st one I made about 30 years ago!

Edited by kikoman

The firebox, its seems to me, needs to have easier access to put wood/coals in and especially clean the area out after use..........maybe a trap door in the back for that and a front door where the bread/pizza is loaded?

Whatever, I can't wait to hear what the bread/pizza taste like from the first person to use the design over here.

JR, I think you are not getting the concept. I know I was surprised the first time I read about this. The fire is not kept going while you are cooking. The fire is used to heat the walls ceiling and floor of the oven. The cooking is done by the residual heat of the bricks not a continuous fire. This is why the wall thickness is important, you need enough mass to retain the heat long enough for cooking.

JR, I think you are not getting the concept. I know I was surprised the first time I read about this. The fire is not kept going while you are cooking. The fire is used to heat the walls ceiling and floor of the oven. The cooking is done by the residual heat of the bricks not a continuous fire. This is why the wall thickness is important, you need enough mass to retain the heat long enough for cooking.

You are so right, That is the concept for the use of the oven!

Thanks!

You can use vermiculite (available in Thailand) mixed wi

The beauty of the project is you can use any thing you want to build it, if cost is no object you can have it built for you or purchase a ready made oven.

UPDATE:

Just some pictures of my progress on the Horno, will be gone to a family wedding in the Isaan.

You will notice one of the pictures is of the inside of the lower opening.

post-91962-1256871226_thumb.jpgpost-91962-1256871250_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Now I get it.......remember, from Texas :)

and a good 4 or 5 inch layer of vermiculite / concrete will keep in the heat, reducing the amout of wood you need. With my oven I can do pizza's at night then bread the next morning.

and a good 4 or 5 inch layer of vermiculite / concrete will keep in the heat, reducing the amout of wood you need. With my oven I can do pizza's at night then bread the next morning.

Why do you not post a picture of your oven on the forum? I would like to see it.

I have a underground pit BBQ, that I can cook a pig in, and two days later ,it still is hot enough to cook a chicken in it.

I plan to uncover it and post a couple 0f pictures of it on this forum. Soon!

Cheers:

Vermiculite is a great idea... it will lighten up the whole dome..... I am defiantly going to try this next year.. when I get some time....

How about making the base out of the cement pipe.. then puting another section on top .... cut the door out... put the chicken pen inside with Banana leaves... and back fill it with the Vermiculite cement mix to form the dome .... after that has set, fill the rest with sand then cement the top ... I think that would be easy and not require and brick cutting skill.. (which is a big plus for me).... not sure if I have explaend it well enough, but if I ever get around to making one I think I will go for something like that ..... then just have to make the door...

Do you think this would work???? or would the dome crack without the brick's

S.J.C

Vermiculite is a great idea... it will lighten up the whole dome..... I am defiantly going to try this next year.. when I get some time....

How about making the base out of the cement pipe.. then puting another section on top .... cut the door out... put the chicken pen inside with Banana leaves... and back fill it with the Vermiculite cement mix to form the dome .... after that has set, fill the rest with sand then cement the top ... I think that would be easy and not require and brick cutting skill.. (which is a big plus for me).... not sure if I have explaend it well enough, but if I ever get around to making one I think I will go for something like that ..... then just have to make the door...

Do you think this would work???? or would the dome crack without the brick's

S.J.C

I do not know, what Vermiculite is, So it would be hard to give you and appropriate answer, I think it would be better to build a cement block base, you could store your wood in it. on top of the block base ,lay a layer of red brick (for your oven surface) . make a mound of wet sand the size you want your oven and make a wood door lay it on the front of the sand and put an exhaust can on the rear end.

Then you can use your Vermiculite cement to cover the sand with a 4" thickness.

You do not need a red brick base for your dome, you can omit that step. I did mine that way because I Chose too.

Cheers:

Here are a few pictures of my underground BBQ pit:

post-91962-1257069193_thumb.jpgpost-91962-1257069263_thumb.jpgpost-91962-1257069320_thumb.jpg