Bangkok Dining Deals

jfchandler

My my... picky picky...("I only go on Fridays, and I only drink bottled beer????) :)

Well, I'm sure you've spent far more time going there, and going inside there as a regular Fridays visitor, than I've ever spent noticing the place. As you know, the Soi 8 Pub isn't one of my personally favorite establishments, due to their fondness for permitting indoors cigarette smoking...

But, in the interest of the broader community here, I'll answer my own question... Yes, the Soi 8 Pub does have a buy one, get one free special on "regular spirits," every Thursday, it seems...apart from their regular Happy Hour deals that run until 7 p.m. daily.

post-53787-1256806250_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1256806264.jpg

post-53787-1256806500_thumb.jpg

PS - BTW, being the value conscious consumer that I am, I think I'd rather sip my Corona for 120 baht at Monsoon than the 160 baht version at Soi 8... :D

for corona no argument here John, may break my habit and stop by Monsoon tomorrow night for one or 12.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sukhumvit 11, the new italian restaurant by grand president. Their lunch set is 350baht for appetizer, tons of free and different kind of bread, soup of the day, main course and coffee or tea

Very good value for $, i personaly had a 4 salad with saussage and cheese, they put a ton of GOOD saussage in it. tomato soup(delicious) and some pasta with white sauce+ham/bacon

Very tasty. They also have deals on pizzas at lunch time

Sukhumvit 11, the new italian restaurant by grand president. Their lunch set is 350baht for appetizer, tons of free and different kind of bread, soup of the day, main course and coffee or tea

Very good value for $, i personaly had a 4 salad with saussage and cheese, they put a ton of GOOD saussage in it. tomato soup(delicious) and some pasta with white sauce+ham/bacon

Would that be Contrazi ??

I walked past Narai Pizzeria in Union Mall (Lad Phrao) and noticed that they are still offering their Tuesday buffet for 149Bt!! I had this buffet about 6 or 8 months ago. They offer a variety of pizzas, garlic bread, and a pasta or spaghetti dish (can't quite remember which) with refill drinks all included in the price. A bargain for any pizza lover at 149Bt (if you like Narai) As far as I know this offer is on at all Narai locations in Bangkok.

Contrazi is across the street from the Grand President, and is a separate operation, I think.

The Grand President's place has been known as the Soi 11 Cafe or something like that.... and they have been doing an international buffet lunch there Monday to Friday, quite good and an excellent value.... Has something changed???

Would that be Contrazi ??

FYI, I remember from past posts on this deal that, according to TV member reports, not ALL Narai branches are participating....but many are... I noticed lately the branch in the basement of FortuneTown also was offering this deal lately and had a poster in the window... Same for the Century Movie Plaza at Victory Monument, last time I was by there....

I walked past Narai Pizzeria in Union Mall (Lad Phrao) and noticed that they are still offering their Tuesday buffet for 149Bt!! I had this buffet about 6 or 8 months ago. They offer a variety of pizzas, garlic bread, and a pasta or spaghetti dish (can't quite remember which) with refill drinks all included in the price. A bargain for any pizza lover at 149Bt (if you like Narai) As far as I know this offer is on at all Narai locations in Bangkok.

Majestic Grand (Sukhumvit Soi 2) has a really nice and reasonably priced weekend lunch buffet. 300Baht++ Lovely food, loads of selection and coffee included, highly recommended.

Also Cafe 43 on Langsuan has a decent weekend buffet, I think its 350 baht now (used to be 300) and the food is nice....

Re the Narai pizza buffet, I don't know that there's any way to know which particular locations are offering it or not... other than calling or checking in with your desired location. In my experience, most are offering it, and those that aren't are the exception... But that's not based on any comprehensive survey...

Here's some help.... Here's the Narai web page with the promo add for the promotion, in Thai, unfortunately.

Here's also their online directory of different store locations.... It includes links on each location's page for a map showing its location, though mostly in Thai.

I suppose someone could try calling their main 1744 phone number, though whether the folks answering it, who handle delivery orders, would know about if particular stores are offering the buffet is doubtful.

Thanks for the compliment... Much appreciated. I think it's useful stuff for ME...so...I assume it's of interest to others as well...

Actually, I had my "career" back in the States as a reporter (but only news, never food or restaurants) for the L.A. Times and others....

So now, that's what "retirement" is about....having time on your hands to do the things you enjoy... I hope!!!! :)

I think you could make a career of this JC, though it appears you already have, :D

Great posts and the tips are really useful, though I suspect you have too much time on your hands.

Ashacat, thanks much for the recommendations... I haven't tried the Majestic Grand yet...but it's high on my list.... A good friend here, and fellow TV member with good taste in food, speaks highly of this place's buffet.... saying the Indian owned hotels usually do good buffets.... The Grand President on Suk Soi 11 certainly does.

Here's a web page from the Majestic Grand showing all the details, pricing and hours of both their lunch buffet and a surf and turf dinner buffet.....at their poolside coffee shop called Dine@7, apparently because it's located on the hotel's 7th floor.

And here's a photo from their web site showing their buffet setup...not identified as to whether it's showing their lunch or dinner servings.

post-53787-1257044682_thumb.jpg

What kind of place is Cafe 43... Don't think I know it...or about it???

Majestic Grand (Sukhumvit Soi 2) has a really nice and reasonably priced weekend lunch buffet. 300Baht++ Lovely food, loads of selection and coffee included, highly recommended.

Also Cafe 43 on Langsuan has a decent weekend buffet, I think its 350 baht now (used to be 300) and the food is nice....

Edited by jfchandler

I'm not sure about Contrazi's claim below about having one of the best dining bargains in Bangkok with a 350 baht++ set lunch (given the competition across the road from Via Vai's 199 baht pizza or pasta plus salad bar buffet), but here's their web site promo on both their set lunch deal and lunch time specials on 189 baht pizzas....

Lunch Pizza

Everyone loves pizza and at lunchtime Contrazi offers several pizzas at only B189++. Served with a thin and crispy and cooked to perfection in out authentic wood-fired oven, they are ideal for a quick and delicious lunch.

Three-course Set Lunches

Our B350++ set lunch is one of Bangkok's best dinning bargains. It includes a starter, soup of the day, a main course and complimentary coffee or tea. The menu changes ervery week and main courses include items like Pan-roasted Red Snapper with stewed vegetables and leek broth or Pork Tenderloin Rolls with bacon red wine sauce.

This info above sourced from Contrazi's web site promotions page. The restaurant's home page is located here.... It appears to have been around for a while, as the About Us page includes comments from customers dating back to 2006-7... It also includes comments from a customer raving about a 3 course dinner for two costing 2500 baht.... Hmmmm..... :)

It certainly looks lovely from some of their web site photos....

post-53787-1257045897_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1257045906_thumb.jpg

a further update from Monsoon.

Dropped in afterwork on Friday for the 120 Baht Coronas only to find that they were 140. Still tasted very good though.

Ordered what I thought was Moussaka and was a bit surprised that it tasted more like lasagna - just substitute the lasagna noodles for potatoes and you get the picture.

Tasted well and good but not what I was expecting. No bechamel (sp) sauce, a light tomato substitute instead. Did have egg plant on top.

Price: Corona x 2 = 240

Lasagna (I mean Moussaka) = 250

Espresso = 70

Total: 560 plus tip.

Nice setting in the evening. Comfy chairs and some music in the background. Staff are good. Someone (that lives on Soi 8) told me that it is run by the same management of Soi 8 pub ???- not that it matters to me.

Ashacat, thanks much for the recommendations... I haven't tried the Majestic Grand yet...but it's high on my list.... A good friend here, and fellow TV member with good taste in food, speaks highly of this place's buffet.... saying the Indian owned hotels usually do good buffets.... The Grand President on Suk Soi 11 certainly does.

Here's a web page from the Majestic Grand showing all the details, pricing and hours of both their lunch buffet and a surf and turf dinner buffet.....at their poolside coffee shop called Dine@7, apparently because it's located on the hotel's 7th floor.

And here's a photo from their web site showing their buffet setup...not identified as to whether it's showing their lunch or dinner servings.

Yeah, the Majestic Grand is definately worth a visit.

No 43 (sorry I thought is was called cafe 43!) is the restaurant on the Ground Floor of the Cape House Serviced Apartments in Langsuan Road, here is a link to the buffet info: http://www.capehouse.com/pdf/No43Buffet_Promo.pdf

I don't think its quite as good as the Majestic but still worth a sniff...

Edited by ashacat

Nice setting in the evening. Comfy chairs and some music in the background. Staff are good. Someone (that lives on Soi 8) told me that it is run by the same management of Soi 8 pub ???- not that it matters to me.

James, I believe that it was at one point owned by Soi 8 managment when it was SPQR or whatever name it was, but my understanding is that they sold it on. I may be wrong though.

If you like or are looking for food suggestions in a particular category, just mention it... I might have some ideas, as might others here on TV....

jf. intro more places !! =D i am planning on bringing my girl and her friends to those places you mentioned. Food food food.!!

Yes, in terms of naming, Monsoon was known as the SPQR Cafe, or whatever, for a long time since the Adelphi Suites opened... And for most of that time, it was mostly empty during the days and evenings. They've only been running their drink specials the past couple months, just finished their facilities re-do lately, and only the name change last week.

If I were a guessing man, I'd guess they began their drink specials campaign AFTER separating from whatever agreement they may have had with the Soi 8 Pub. After all, now, with their drink specials, they're directly competing (and outpricing, and some might say outclassing) the place across the street. :)

James, I believe that it was at one point owned by Soi 8 managment when it was SPQR or whatever name it was, but my understanding is that they sold it on. I may be wrong though.

Not really a dinning deals question, but I have just received a 1000 Baht voucher for the 55 Restaurant at The Centara Grand after renewing my Bangkok Post subscription, and I wondered if anyone had any experience of this place. Is the food any good and as 1000 Baht going to go any way for paying for a meal there, or is the voucher just a teaser to get you through the doors?

Sorry to ask on your thread JC, but I figured out that the people to read your column, sorry thread, might have an idea.

I'd plan on spending some money.... :)

55 at Centara Grand is named Thailand’s Best Restaurant by readers of Lifestyle + Travel

Thursday, July 30, 2009

55 Fine Dining & Grill at Centara Grand at CentralWorld has been named Best Restaurant in Thailand by the readers of Lifestyle + Travel magazine.

The award has been presented as part of the publication’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2008, following a survey that was conducted over four months and with thousands of respondents from across the Asia Pacific region.

55 Fine Dining & Grill is located on the 55th floor of Centara Grand at CentralWorld, and is a fine dining restaurant with French-Mediterranean cuisine.

Chef de cuisine is Sandro Aguilera, who hails from Barcelona and who has worked at Spain’s most illustrious restaurant, the Michelin three-star El Bulli in Catalonia, along with three of Barcelona’s Michelin-starred restaurants, namely Comerc 24, El Cingle and Estany Clar.

In addition to its fine cuisine and superb views across Bangkok, 55 Fine Dining & Grill is famous for its two-storey glass-walled wine cellar, stocked with more than 200 labels of premium wines and tended by Wine Angels who ascend to collect the selected bottles.

post-53787-1257305145_thumb.jpg

Edited by jfchandler

So much food... so many restaurants... so little time.... :D

For anyone who loves Japanese food in Bangkok, this deal is one not to be missed. It's so good in every way, I debated some on keeping it to myself, but, I decided NO... That's not the way Mr. Bangkok Dining Deals rolls.... so.....

Would you be a bit interested in an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet? Or instead, how about an all-you-can-eat sashimi buffet? What about an all-you-can eat donburi rice bowls and ramen buffet. Or how about an all-you-can eat grilled fillets of fish, including salmon, and tempura buffet??

OK...let me make it simple and even better. How about combining all of those above into an all-you-can eat Japanese food buffet for 350 baht per person plus VAT that includes as much as you want, and whatever you want, of all those dishes of Japanese food and more, totaling some 70 items on the menu. All fresh, good quality, served in a good atmosphere and great service, right in the middle of Bangkok. And the price includes unlimited green tea to drink, green tea ice cream for desert, and plenty of Japanese university students (OK, more about the kids in a bit... :D ).

That's exactly what a restaurant called Kin Ramen is offering every day from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. at night. I'd never noticed this restaurant or heard any mention of it before until I was passing Siam Square the other day and took a flyer from the restaurant as I passed by. Kin Ramen is located conveniently right at the stairs to the Central/Siam BTS station there on the Siam Square side, across the street from Siam Paragon. You enter off the street, but climb the stairs to the second floor where they serve the buffet.

post-53787-1257343679_thumb.jpg

The Kin Ramen buffet gives you the ability to order anything off their buffet menu for 1 hour and 45 minutes from the time you sit down. Today on our first visit, the wife and I ate heartily until we were stuffed and could eat no more after about one hour. All of the food we at was freshly prepared, good quality and tasty. The service was fast and efficient and polite, with our waiters refilling our drinks anytime they ran out without us ever having to ask once.

post-53787-1257343917_thumb.jpg

For anyone who's down on buffets because of the many that serve up stale, soggy food that's been sitting all day in steam trays, let me clarify about Kin Ramen's buffet. Yes, it's a buffet. But the dishes you order off the buffet menu are prepared fresh as you order them. So it's just like ordering and eating off a regular restaurant menu, except you have your run of the park for a flat 350 baht. (I will add, my only downgrade for this restaurant is that their sushi rice tended to have a bit of the slightly pasty consistency I find at too many places around BKK, very different from real authentic Japanese sushi rice... But their sushi/sashimi fish was fresh, cold, good thick slices and just fine...)

Interestingly, the restaurant also has an ala carte menu, though we didn't see anyone during our visit eating anything other than the buffet. Indeed, the dishes served up through the buffet are identical to the ones served off the regular menu, where entree prices ranged from 100 to 200 baht per item. So basically, you're getting the run of their menu for the price of two menu items per person.

Today on our visit, the Thai wife, who's got a thing going about sashimi, must have woofed down a half dozen or more orders just of salmon sashimi. Then added in some tuna and octopus sashimi and a few others, along with a large plate of grilled squid. Trying to take a broad sampling of their menu choices, I downed a few plates of salmon sashimi, an order of California roll, ate one order of gyoza and liked them so much I ordered a second plate, a bowl of gyu don, a bowl of salmon fried rice that I combined with an order of grilled salmon fillet and vegetables, some chicken kariage, an order of shrimp and vegetable tempura... And after that I forget...

Ohh...and about the Japanese university students... It seems, perhaps because Chula Univ. is located nearby, Kin Ramen advertises a discount to university students during the daytime until just before the dinner hour. So on our visit early-to-mid afternoon today, the shop was packed with maybe 2/3s university students and the rest groups of Thai office ladies and us. Not a farang in sight except for Mr. Bangkok Dining deals... And boy, can those Thai university students pack it away, girls included... They made me look like a lightweight...

The buffet menu at Kin Ramen is so big, with so many items on it, I can't really reproduce it here..except to say... it's divided up into different sections (each with multiple entree choices in that group) for salads, traditional sushi, cut sushi rolls, sashimi, rice bowls topped with meats and/or eggs, ramen bowls, grilled and fried items, and then the teas and ice cream for desert.

post-53787-1257345332_thumb.jpg

I should also add, this doesn't appear to be a temporary or grand opening special, since the restaurant has a formal printed menu just for the buffet, similar to the formal ala carte menu they also have. If you look at their flyer, apparently earlier, they were offering the buffet for 300 baht during the daytime and 350 baht for dinner and beyond. Now it's 350 baht anytime, except if you're a Japanese university student.

How am I certain this place is a good choice for food, apart from being a great deal? My sashimi loving wife, who has panned most of the bargain Japanese places we've tried together (though she likes Fuji), said she gives Kin Ramen a score of 8 out of 10 on her scale and she wants to go back...often... :)

Apart from the photos I've shown above, once back home, I did find that one formerly hungry Thai university student had written a blog post showing a lot of closeup photos of the entrees at Kin Ramen, and the photos match what we ate today... So here's the link that shows real photos of some of their individual dishes.

Edited by jfchandler

Same here Catman... Actually, finding this place turns out to be very fortuitous (and economical) for me...

The wife and I have been doing a lot of traveling lately, so we've been running up the expenses associated with that....

Yet when we're back home, invariably, when we go out to eat, she would like to eat sashimi. And, that's been producing restaurant bills a different places heading toward or exceeding 1,000 per meal....even when I only order something simple and inexpensive....

So to find a place she really likes where she can eat good sashimi to her heart's content, and me knowing the tab per person is not going to exceed 350b, is quite a relief!!!!! I keep the wife VERY happy, don't go broke in the process, and even have enough left for me to eat well, as well. :)

Same here Catman... Actually, finding this place turns out to be very fortuitous (and economical) for me...

The wife and I have been doing a lot of traveling lately, so we've been running up the expenses associated with that....

Yet when we're back home, invariably, when we go out to eat, she would like to eat sashimi. And, that's been producing restaurant bills a different places heading toward or exceeding 1,000 per meal....even when I only order something simple and inexpensive....

So to find a place she really likes where she can eat good sashimi to her heart's content, and me knowing the tab per person is not going to exceed 350b, is quite a relief!!!!! I keep the wife VERY happy, don't go broke in the process, and even have enough left for me to eat well, as well. :)

Thanks for the tip John. Curious, does your Mrs sit for hours at places like this like mine? I could send mine out to these all-you-can-eat places, then play 18 holes in Chonburi, and by the time I get back, she is still not home. :D

Hhahahahah... James.... funny about that...

Mine's not quite in that league... She usually can go for about an hour...and after that... she wants to go home and sleep... :D

But as I'm sure you're aware, a person (lady or man) can easily run up quite a bill in an hour's worth of serious sashimi eating at most places in BKK...

And there's a reason she wants to eat sashimi rather than sushi... With sushi, the rice makes her full sooner. But with sashimi, she can eat and eat and... :)