Travel With Qatar Airways

Schauerte

:)

I travelled with Qatar Airways in August 2009 from Bangkok to Johannesburg. I was told by Qatar Airways Johannesburg office, that sport equipment up to 15 kg can be transported free of charge.

At the Bangkok airport, during check-in, I was told that there is no allowance for free sport equipment ( in my case- Golf Clubs) and I was forced to pay after some discussions Baht 7,850.- for the golf clubs.

Anybody has a similar experience with this airline,which claims to be an excellent airline ?

I've travelled on Qatar a few times with Golf Clubs and never been charged, however I think that even including my clubs I have been within my total baggage allowance.

I presume that you paid the money for excess weight, not just because they were golf clubs?

:):D

I've travelled on Qatar a few times with Golf Clubs and never been charged, however I think that even including my clubs I have been within my total baggage allowance.

I presume that you paid the money for excess weight, not just because they were golf clubs?

right, but I was told, 20 kg plus 15 kg golf equipment

:):D

right, but I was told, 20 kg plus 15 kg golf equipment

Why would there be a special allowance for golf equipment?

Just another bag to the airline surely.

I flew Qatar for the first time a few weeks ago. Probably the most uncomfortable flights I have ever had back to the UK.

With the seat in front in front pushed back my legs were wedged-in and I could hardly move. Even worse on the Doha - LGW sector, the entertainment box under the window seat is so big that I could only stretch out one leg for the whole flight.

I am 6 foot 1 inch, and generally never find economy seats 'that bad', but Qatar seating seems to be beyond the limit!

I travelled with Qatar Airways in August 2009 from Bangkok to Johannesburg. I was told by Qatar Airways Johannesburg office, that sport equipment up to 15 kg can be transported free of charge.

At the Bangkok airport, during check-in, I was told that there is no allowance for free sport equipment ( in my case- Golf Clubs) and I was forced to pay after some discussions Baht 7,850.- for the golf clubs.

Anybody has a similar experience with this airline,which claims to be an excellent airline ?

When we moved to the UK from Thailand a few months ago both my wife and I wanted to bring our golf clubs so I emailed various airlines about the cost. Most airlines, including Qatar, said there was a 'special' rate for golf equipment. Assuming you had used all your baggage allowance already they would only charge for six kilos excess baggage for up to fifteen kilos of golf equipment.

Of the airlines I checked only Emirates and Etihad would carry golf clubs free of charge regardless of whether you'd already used all your baggage allowance or not.

When we moved to the UK from Thailand a few months ago both my wife and I wanted to bring our golf clubs so I emailed various airlines about the cost. Most airlines, including Qatar, said there was a 'special' rate for golf equipment. Assuming you had used all your baggage allowance already they would only charge for six kilos excess baggage for up to fifteen kilos of golf equipment.

Of the airlines I checked only Emirates and Etihad would carry golf clubs free of charge regardless of whether you'd already used all your baggage allowance or not.

Correct; and Emirates allows 30kgs of luggage on every continental flight regardless of class.