Cockroaches

Moonrakers

The pandan leaves option are good, have seen them in many homes in tropical countries, and it gives the house a nice smell too. I've even seen pandan leaves cut and placed in a pouch in some hotel toilets as well. Believe its for the fragrance and pest control as well..

I've lived in my apartment for 2.5 years and never had a cockroach problem...until last month. I am assuming someone in the complex isn't the best housekeeper. I've tried baits, sprays, professional pest control, sealing up cracks, holes etc around the house with spray expanding foam and I'm still finding evidence of them. All food is kept sealed up. We used to keep fruit out, but now all that has to be placed in the refrigerator. It is frustrating. If we don't get rid of them soon, I'll telling the apartment manager we are out when the lease is up.

There are natural repellents that are an option, but I'm of the opinion, when it comes to cockroaches, you need to be tough. That may be difficult if you have children or pets in the house. Something no one else has mentioned yet is boric acid, although maybe not the best if children or pets can get access to it.

Boric acid mixed with flour spread around the ares they are most prevalent. You will see the foot prints in the powder. The roaches that walk in this stuff takes it back to nest and covers other roaches it breaks down the wax coating and causes dehydration.

You can also make up the mixture with peanut butter and they will eat it, same effect as above.

You do need to keep away from children.

This post is only relevant for those living in the countryside using septic tanks.

Once I had a problem with cockroaches in my resort, so I called Rentokill. I expected them to spray everywhere, but they said the cockroaches resided in the septic tanks, and it would be enough to put a poison in there.

I didn't really believe it, but after they poured some kind of liquid in all the septic tanks, the buggers magically disappeared right away.

Edited by keestha

This post is only relevant for those living in the countryside using septic tanks.

Once I had a problem with cockroaches in my resort, so I called Rentokill. I expected them to spray everywhere, but they said the cockroaches resided in the septic tanks, and it would be enough to put a poison in there.

I didn't really believe it, but after they poured some kind of liquid in all the septic tanks, the buggers magically disappeared right away.

and the effect on the groundwater is?

• 2 weeks later...
The ant chalk you can buy in 7/11 is good for roaches also , have not had one in the apartment the 3 years we have been here .

Have tried the ant chalk (made in china) and they work wonderfully too but not sure about whether they contain harmful chemicals though.

Mothballs are harmful, recently the gf put one too many around the house and had symtoms of mild poisoning after aleeping in the roon for a night

Try this stuff, dilute small quantity with water and spray on affected areas. Works on most creepy crawly things and lasts for a month or more.

post-35075-1258177674_thumb.jpg

I did have a thread on this some time ago but can't find it now.

:)

So it works on threads too?

The ant chalk you can buy in 7/11 is good for roaches also , have not had one in the apartment the 3 years we have been here .

What might the active ingredient be in the ant chalk? Always curious about that. They also have available, a loose powder form of the ant chalk.

Listerine mouth wash!

Yes, it works wonderfully and is non-toxic. It is not residual meaning you don't spray the floor etc but if you spray or pour it onto the individual roach it immediately falls over dead as a doornail. It may be the alcohol in it that does the trick but it works better than any contact insecticide I have tried before. So keep a bottle handy in the bathroom ready to zap those little creepy blighters. I'm an expert as any roach that I have ever come across has had a life expectancy measured in seconds.

post-32989-1258188908.jpgMy favorite way is to mix a little sugar with plaster of Paris the roach eats the stuff and then turns solid as a rock as the plaster absorbs all his moisture...

Trust me this works

You're as cruel as me. I would catch horseflies and stick tin foil up their butt. Then I'd release them to watch the little buggers go flying straight up. Sometimes we cut one wing short to watch them fly in circles.

Try this stuff, dilute small quantity with water and spray on affected areas. Works on most creepy crawly things and lasts for a month or more.

post-35075-1258177674_thumb.jpg

I did have a thread on this some time ago but can't find it now.

So it works on threads too?

Yup! Wonderfull stuff :D

I agree...just got sum Chandrite 4 and was gonna spray the terraces today but had sum visitors with small children so maybe to do tomorrow...

I used Chandrite 2 aerosol in my kitchen against the ants with a good result...tutsi the genocidal maniac gloating at every stinkin' ant emerging from wherever (they like the space between the wall tiles and the wall) writhing in excruciating death from the insecticide...also good fer the spiders that took up residence when I was away at work...I apologised to them as they are noble creatures but I can't stand them...ants are vermin an' deserve what they get...goin' on a week now with no re-emergence of the critters...

Chandrite have got a range of products probably with sumpin' special for cockroaches; check out their website...their products are available most places...

An update:

We went for the Pandan leaf method and it has worked surprisingly well. We didn't manage to get any until yesterday yet it seems to be working it's mojo already, with nowhere near as many cockroaches as before. It also makes my apartment smell better.