Simplicity

51NAH

Here is one I took late one afternoon of an ant on his journey along my fence as the sun was going down.

The shadow in the sky is a light storm cloud in the distance.

I have deliberately broken the rule of 3rds, this crop is the look I was going for, not having the ant taking up a larger portion of the image.

As always, Constructive Criticism is welcomed.

4060471760_e430be64dd.jpg

Edited by 51NAH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your feedback, its been interesting the comments I have gotten on this image, from the 3 forums I have posted it on.

Ballzafire I'm interested in your comment. It may help to know my resoning behind the shot?

My intention was to capture the ant without any distractions in the shot, keeping it simple. Such a little creture in a big world, so this shot was solely about the ant and his journey in life. That is why I cropped the way I did, giving him room for his journey but leaving a large portion of sunset sky to still portray the small size of the ant.

A lot of people have suggested cropping the image before I told them my thoughts behind the shot, what are your thoughts now?

• 10 months later...

This image shows the power of what I call mono-chromatic colour. Sure, you can get every colour in the spectrum into your image, but when you have only two dominant colours, the visual impact is greater. This image could be used to illustrate any number of stories as it has inherent story potential in it.