Gigantic banner unfurled to hide Bangkok slum

george

Glad to see it's not just western governments that blow public money trying to make things look better than they really are. Honesty and politics are deemed never to mix. It's not like the delegates don't know what's going on. I'm expect they're fully aware of what's behind banner (both physically and ideologically), as well as the rest of it.

Don't get me wrong - I think spending a little money beautifying the city is a great idea, but trying to hide parts of it just because they are not pleasing to the eye is not. You've got to see the bad side of things to really appreciate the good side.

Just my 2 cents  ::o:

Always remember years ago in the U.K. (prob.still applys) that whenever OUR queen Lizzi used to visit a shopping centre,railway station,butcher shop or whatever on one of her "royal"visits the local sunshine boys would cover up,paint over or remodel all of the public toilets in case they offended her delicate presence.

Most of the peasants-sorry loyal subjects were brought up thinking that that she being the QUEEN didnt need to poo.

(again prob.still applys)

moral of the tale ...you can hide the smell but not get rid of it.... :o  ???

Surely helping people living here would get more respect from delegates that trying to brush it under the carpet ?

Yes, even in Buddhism [Thailand as a Buddhist Country] or any other religion, that is how it says. Help the less fortunate.

But not in this Cosmetic World. All are hiding the smell the best they can and applying cosmetics to cover it up. Nothing is clean.  ???

I think Bangkok Governor knows how to survive and act to the occasion.  It is not what is right matters these days. It is all about what you do to cover it up. I think all 21 leaders participating in this APEC understand what is inside the Banner. They all do and have done such things.  :o

This will show to them that Thailand always follow them.. :D  :cool:

A friend of a friend who has a friend who has a boyfriend who works for the thai governement told me that Nana plaza has a 6 month lease on the poles after it over

gee now does that mean that the Nana Plaza pole dances are going up in the world, or justa big sign saying

Beers tonight 80 baht

But would the money not be better spent helping the people who live in this slum to clean up and live in some dignaty ?

There's virtually free education up to the high school level available to every citizen.     It's a person's own personal values and habits (like in most places in the world) that pulls people from the mainstream.

:o

Quote (married2surin @ Oct. 17 2003,17:37)

But would the money not be better spent helping the people who live in this slum to clean up and live in some dignaty ?

There's virtually free education up to the high school level available to every citizen.     It's a person's own personal values and habits (like in most places in the world) that pulls people from the mainstream.

Yes, up to the level of high school, but not to high school. Should one wish to go to high school in Thailand then one has to pay; that is wrong.

Secondly, everbody has an innate ability and it is the educational system that should bring out the best in people, not their wealth, which is what you are advocating.

I don't know what your antecedents are but I garner, from your previous posts, that you are of Thai oriign educated elsewhere than Thailand........ergo!

In vino veritas

Scouse

Quote (married2surin @ Oct. 17 2003,17:37)

Yes, up to the level of high school, but not to high school. Should one wish to go to high school in Thailand then one has to pay; that is wrong.

Secondly, everbody has an innate ability and it is the educational system that should bring out the best in people, not their wealth, which is what you are advocating.

I don't know what your antecedents are but I garner, from your previous posts, that you are of Thai oriign educated elsewhere than Thailand........ergo!

In vino veritas

Scouse

No, high school and government open universities (like RU) are still well within the grasp of the poor.

Not to mention that much of Thailand's industry and business was built by those who didn't have formal education.  

And yes, I'm Thai from the US.  

:o