Downloading A 500mb File

vrsushi

I am used to downloading large files for work etc 300mb to 500mb. In Japan it takes about 3 minutes. Yes I know how lucky I am.

So how long will it take in Thailand? minutes, hours, days or weeks? I am happy to pay up to 1000bt for the connection.

Not sure where I will be, but probably Chiangmai or Bangkok. But maybe in a smaller city like Kohn Kahn.

I understand, but any idea of a best/worst case scenario?

Best case you get the constant speed for which you paid, from that you just work out how much data you 'could' be pulling in by the minute.

Worst case, you sacrifice a live chicken every other day to make sure your line doesn't go down (mines just come back up after being down last 24 hours).

I'm using Maxnet Indy 5mb in Chiang Mai (1070Bt per month). During the morning hours I can usually have a file of this kind of size down in about an hour. Speeds decay as the afternoon progresses, and by evening downloads are often less than 10kbps.

Hi,

I'm in Bangkok and using True ADSL and I download files of this size regularly using a download manager. As above, I can get very good speeds in the morning and normally take 10-15min for this kind of file.

Having the download manager helps a lot as it will download several streams at once and also takes advantage of 'resume' capability if the site has that.

Cheers

To the guy who asks about the cost in Japan. Well, I often download 500mb in literally the time it takes to make a coffee. the yen is very strong at the mo, making it more expensive in baht terms than usual, but still the cost is about 1500bt a month.

How much are the other posters who are getting surprizingly good speeds paying?

Strangely I thought I read many posts on other threads complaining about terrible downloading. this is much better than I thought.

How much are the other posters who are getting surprizingly good speeds paying?

Strangely I thought I read many posts on other threads complaining about terrible downloading. this is much better than I thought.

1200 baht approx for the 10 mbit 3BB

Most other posts are about how terrible the internet is working, there all the people who have bad internet post. Finally we have a post that lets us show that there are positive experiences as well with the internet in this country.

When everything is working well - about 75% of the time for me - it's really quite acceptable. The problem is the inconsistancy/unpredictability when things fall apart, and it can last for days - sometimes weeks.

When everything is working well - about 75% of the time for me - it's really quite acceptable. The problem is the inconsistancy/unpredictability when things fall apart, and it can last for days - sometimes weeks.

I think a key difference between Thailand and Japan is that the Japanese would not accept this "inconsistancy/unpredictability"

In Chiang Mai or BKK you'll probably be fine but if you consistently need to download this size file for work every day you need to get a backup connection. And pay more than 1000 bht total, 2000 should do it for 2 fast consumer line connections from different companies.

Bangkok has much faster connections than elsewhere at the moment. But I guess those will be in CM shortly and probably in the rest of the country soon too.