Thaksin Appointed As Adviser Of Cambodian Government

webfact

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What amazes me is what the letters of "UDD" stand for and yet the person they love so much is a prime example of rising "Dictator" in the purest sense. If you have studied other dictators you'll understand my comment.

Edited by Mrjlh

This is like a game of poker: I'll see your Phra Wirahan and raise you one Thaksin! :)

The Phra Wirahan is just a bluff.

The real point are the dispute in the gulf borders with the oil and gas. Both Thailand and Cambodia claim them.

The temple has zero value but is nice to mobilize some nationalists.

When I was 8 years old the World Court in Netherland decided to give the temple for the Cambodian...my father told me that the Ex Prime minister did not have to show up and the world court had no power over Thailand..what so ever..he was right?? But, the Thai government went to Court anyway??

Now oil and gas will be the issue and the show must go on...I am not surprised about the Ex Prime Minister who is trying to claim his power. Cambodian guy is a tough cookie and please do not under estimate both political ambition..watch out... any event occures the Thai and Cambodian working citizens will suffer the most...you and I know the big fish always eat little fish. I do feel uneasy how close the Ex Prime minister from the Thai border...

Well, Money talks and we Farangs need to do something?? talking is good start but, advising the Thais will be awesome...my opinion.

Hun Sen has obviously more guts and brains than certain Thai government leaders, who preach reconciliation but who do the exact opposite. Let's hope that he holds a diplomatic Cambodian passport, that can become "Fun" in Asean. Maybe next time he will sit next to Hun Sen on the negotiating table. By the way does someone know if Thaksin still owns hi telecom share in Cambodia and what his other assets are over there?

Thaksin makes a tough opponent and that is good, after all their are far more people who sympathize with Thaksin than who oppose him. Whatever the elite and their badly written English newspaper says, the democrats are not ready for elections, Thaksin will win it with two fingers in his nose.

It's amazing to see how many people here actually believes the current government are any less corrupt compared with previous ones. For anyone living here pre-Thaksin, you would know how many things actually improved during his time. Not without faults, but the situation for most Thais improved considerably. To even think that corruption in high places ended with Thaskin's departure is nothing more than pure stupidity.

But then again, we do rely on the Infinite monkey theorem here. :)

Thaksin makes a tough opponent and that is good, after all their are far more people who sympathize with Thaksin than who oppose him.

Facts isn't your strong side.

The majority of people are clearly not with him, as both the recent elections and polls have shown. Or even demonstrations...

The two gangs out in the streets are minorities and represent minorities, don't forget that.

Well, in a country ruled by a dictactor, Hun Sen can do that and people will just have to swallow it.

Now they have another leech re-routing tax money and public goods into his pockets.

Maybe at least now the "Bangkok Post" stops the constant advertising of Thaksin's current radio frequencies, "phone in"-schedules, twitter addresses, websites, speech quotes, support numbers etc. ... that started to really annoy me every time I bought this newspaper.

THAKSIN'S NEW JOB

"It's an honour to be Cambodia's advisor : Thaksin

Convicted ex-Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Thursday that it is an honour for him that Cambodian government appointed him as an economic adviser for the premier and the government.

"I would like to thank (Cambodia's Prime Minister)'s Hun Sen for appointing me as his economic adviser," Thaksin said in his twitter (Thaksinlive).

Cambodia has already sent him a copy of the appointment that signed by Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni.

However he said he would enjoy more doing the job for Thai people.

King Sihamoni signed the Royal Decree of the appointment of Thaksin Shinawatra on Oct 27. The appointment was made in accordance with the country's constitutions and at the request of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

As Hun Sen arrived in Hua Hin to attend Asean Summit in October, he declared "Thaksin can stay in Cambodia as a guest of Cambodia. He can also be my adviser on the economy".

The Cambodian leader repeated an earlier invitation to Thaksin to stay in Cambodia and rejected Thai claims that Phnom Penh would have to extradite the tycoon.

"Our concern is for humanitarian reasons, it is friends helping friends. The internal affairs of Thailand would be left for Thai people to resolve, I am not interfering," said Hun Sen.

Cambodia also issued a statement, saying it will not extradite Thaksin at a request from Thailand if he comes and stays in Cambodia. Meanwhile, it said that the Royal Government will continue its policy of having friendly relations with Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/05

I have been getting so riled up and p*ssed off about Thai politics for as long as I can remember but for some reason I find this development hilarious. Grown men acting like spiteful children..I can't wait to hear the indignant howling from the Thai side.

:) KhunT gets more irrelevant (irreverent?) as time passes, BUT unfortunately his successors are less competent......so, IMHO, LOS just needs to keep the military sweet (Coup Avoidance Policy part 7?) and keep on trying to evolve some decent political mechanisms.

Here's hoping.

rgdz from a tepid temperate ChiangMai,

Brewsta.

Edited by Brewsta

Is that "adviser" the way that US soldiers fighting in other countries are sometimes classed as advisers?

Advice #1: figure out what you have that's worth anything, and sell it to another country. "Let's see, hmm, nothing much hear, not much demand for dust, hmm, oh yeah, Angkor Wat, sell the concession to the Singapore, I have some friends who might be interested...'

I think this is the end of T's career in Thai politics: Thai xenophobia kicks in at the mention of Cambodia (second only to Burma in terms of threat) and the hayseeds will be mopping floors with the rags made from old red shirts. I wonder which of his fortune tellers gave him this brilliant idea -- the same one that advised him to go into politics and form his own party?

Thaksin makes a tough opponent and that is good, after all their are far more people who sympathize with Thaksin than who oppose him.

The majority of people are clearly not with him, as both the recent elections and polls have shown. Or even demonstrations...

The two gangs out in the streets are minorities and represent minorities, don't forget that.

What elections are you referring to? The last two elections were won by Samak and then Somchai, both Thai Rak Thai. Both of them removed or kicked out using non-democratic measures.

Polls in Thailand I don´t give much for, let´s see what happens if we get a real election again. But then again, maybe that's why they are stalling the elections indefinitely.

The current government is NOT elected, it's installed. A minor difference. :)

This is like a game of poker: I'll see your Phra Wirahan and raise you one Thaksin! :D

The Phra Wirahan is just a bluff.

The real point are the dispute in the gulf borders with the oil and gas. Both Thailand and Cambodia claim them.

The temple has zero value but is nice to mobilize some nationalists.

When I was 8 years old the World Court in Netherland decided to give the temple for the Cambodian...my father told me that the Ex Prime minister did not have to show up and the world court had no power over Thailand..what so ever..he was right?? But, the Thai government went to Court anyway??

Now oil and gas will be the issue and the show must go on...I am not surprised about the Ex Prime Minister who is trying to claim his power. Cambodian guy is a tough cookie and please do not under estimate both political ambition..watch out... any event occures the Thai and Cambodian working citizens will suffer the most...you and I know the big fish always eat little fish. I do feel uneasy how close the Ex Prime minister from the Thai border...

Well, Money talks and we Farangs need to do something?? talking is good start but, advising the Thais will be awesome...my opinion.

The last time I gave advice to my best friend (a thai) he didn't speak to me for 2 years. I now know better. A non-thai giving a thai advice is loss of face big time. Offering opinions isn't a smart move either unless it's the one they have already formed. As I've mentioned before, broadly speaking the military dresses to the left (Burma) and the business community to the right (Cambodia). The schism is widening and people are making choices as the clock ticks closer to midnight.

On a completely unrelated note I recommend readers to "Funeral Games" by Mary Renault on the dynastic scrambles for power, machinations and assassinations that followed the death of Alexander the Great. It's available from Amazon. :D

Hun Sen and Thaksin are well aware of this and are having fun rubbing thai noses in it for the international press.

So I'll break my promise to myself with a few lines for Khun Abhisit which he knows all too well:

This is the word that year by year,

While in her place the school is set,

Every one of her sons must hear,

And none that hears it dare forget.

This they all with a joyful mind

Bear through life like a torch in flame,

And falling fling to the host behind -

"Play up! Play up! And play the game!"

:)

this is totally amazing.. Thaksin has no shame at all. Now the Thai people are seeing exactly what he is. A greedy, insane businessman, with no cares what so ever for his people. but what the hey, Cambodia is a lot closer than Dubai, if someone was actually wanting to get rid of him. right? And I hear, it's even cheaper to hire those type of people in Cambodia. I mean, what Cambodian would give a crap about whacking some Thai. :)

You have a point and I was totally forgot about The king of Cambodia who is also has an ambition. I recalled when the 2008 summer olympics in Beijing I saw the King of cambodia sat next to President Bush and both got along real well..surprised?? ( Top Policeman and a new king ) Do not underestimate power of money. The palace will protect the ex Thai Prime Minister. Now it is not just the Cambodian Prime Minister but, the King also is in the picture as well...I stand tall for my comment.

If the government were smart they'd resort to the old "Thaksin is trying to sell the country" line. Create speculation etc that he wants to help Hun Sen get the the 'rest' of Phea Viharn and any oil concessions in the Gulf of Thailand.

People tend to foreget that the public got really PO'ed with Dear Leader when he sold Sh!tcorp to the Singaporeans. They could easily portray Thaksin lining up against Thailands 'old enemy'.

Reality is Hun Sen is sh!tstiring in internal Thai politics...which is funny as I didn't think ASEAN countries were into getting involved into their fellow members political process....

ahh, well. Hypocracy all around. Again.

If ever Thaksin accepts this position, which of course he will, he will get the curse of many Thais blaming to lean to the enemy (Cambodia) for helping them and leaving Thailand in disarray and troubles. Many Thais will not like that. He wil be considered as a traitor (which he is already). He should wisely distanciate from Hun Sen's offer and wisely differentiate between personal relations and country matters. Hun Sen, we know, he is a farmer and speaks first before thinking. But he's clever, believe me! And he will get what he wants either on a democratical way or by any other way which he might think of. Remember the coup at the Pochentong airport where he took the power, remember how many times Sam Rainsy had to flee the country to avoid being jailed, and don't forget he is a former Khmer Rouge! That's why he doesn't like this UN-genocide trial during which his name has been and will be mentioned too much! :)

Next stop Burma? They could sure use some help on economics too. Perhaps another war on drugs, this time targetting producers who don't meet their export targets to Thailand.

Hello my friend? According to the American Red Cross and Non profits in America, they said the big short of Burma took all disaster credits for food, blankets, water and etc from around the world. The Burmese government put their new stickers in every box of good from UN, RedCross, and charities around the world. So, the Burmese population thought the goods came from their Dictator only. Shamed and embarassed about this regime...Plus these group of hate mongol try to genocide the small 200 hilltribes who live around the borders. Now the ugly Thais come to a picture and grab the poor Burmeses for cheap labors and sell the young girls for prostitues...( shame and I m so sick for just talking about it ) No one cares?? By the way, some Thai and Farang men even bought those young women for sex and these kids are the same age as their daughters or grand daughters...oh my??

Well, the drug will send to America for a dollar not for a baht because, the hilltribes use the money to buy weapons fighting to gain independence..The Thais ignored drug smugglers and everyone in the Northern part will not travel the drug road. The druglords can not tell who is Thai and who is the Burmese..I can get kill for being in the wrong place and a wrong time..

This is a real story and I am standing tall.

http://news.google.com/news/search?q=thailand

Did a quick news search on Thailand. Yet again, Thaksin photo is currently displayed on top, above everything else.

Although I do not like him. I must give credit for his ability to stay in Thailand's front page.

It does not take much for front page news..as I say Money is everything in the world now..my take.

I admire Hun Sen to be so patient with the current aggressive Thai government.

Anyway, Hun Sen shows he has no problem with Thailand: he takes a Thai man as an adviser.

It's even excellent: as soon as Thailand will have a normal government, friendship between the two countries will be as good as usual.

What did you smoke this morning?

What elections are you referring to? The last two elections were won by Samak and then Somchai, both Thai Rak Thai. Both of them removed or kicked out using non-democratic measures.

Polls in Thailand I don´t give much for, let´s see what happens if we get a real election again. But then again, maybe that's why they are stalling the elections indefinitely.

Hahaha, you are a moderator, wow...

If you by elections are referring to people going to the booths, then neither Samak nor Somchai won anything. They were part of a party that got a minority of the votes and then later formed a coalition government under which Samak was first PM elected before he was removed from the position for his unconstitutional salary from the tv show. PPP then THEMSELVES decided to not re-instate him. They could have, since the constitution is still flawed. But they chose not to. Nothing else. Somchai was voted out from the MPs in the coalition, not by any election by the population. All according to process. Same as Abhisit.

But again we see that when facts fail, some of you invent their own...

Please tell me the different between the elections of Samak, Somchai and Abhisit. Mail the answer on a postcard.

Mr Souza says:

I know cannot talk about a moderators, but I would expect a litte more impartiality from TV crew.

Anyway, is very common a reshuffle in many governments (see Italy with parties moving from a coalition to the opposition...). Full democracy.

Edited by angiud

It's amazing to see how many people here actually believes the current government are any less corrupt compared with previous ones. For anyone living here pre-Thaksin, you would know how many things actually improved during his time. Not without faults, but the situation for most Thais improved considerably. To even think that corruption in high places ended with Thaskin's departure is nothing more than pure stupidity.

Thailand has fallen in all international independent ratings in the last three years, e.g. press freedom, corruption, civil liberties, political rights, etc.

If anybody can find an indicator that has improved send a link that shows it. There are enough emotional postings here already.

It's also worth noting that Thailand were making progress in most areas during the 5 years before that.

Thailand has fallen in all international independent ratings in the last three years, e.g. press freedom, corruption, civil liberties, political rights, etc.

If anybody can find an indicator that has improved send a link that shows it. There are enough emotional postings here already.

It's also worth noting that Thailand were making progress in most areas during the 5 years before that.

Don't post lies to make a point.

Yes, the press freedom etc fell during the military government etc, but to claim it was making progress the 5 years before that is preposterous. The BIG fall in press freedom and civil liberties WAS during Thaksin reign. And while I am not defending the military regime, their actions was kinda expected from a coup-government, and atleast they stepped down...Thaksin would never do that.