Macro

cdmtdm

Can anyone tell me if you need to get a Macro card before you can buy from the shop or can you just turn up and shop without the card??

cheers

You can shop there no problem. Just go to the desk on the way in and ask for a number - some days they need it, some days the girls just put any old number in.

SG.

Went to the ''new'' Macro this week after not going for a month or two...really a huge improvement with in house bakery and deli section..and best of all now fully airconditioned..great place for shopping although some products you have to buy 'multi pack''. But generally much better than Carrefour and Lotus etc..

The range of meats and fish and vegetables far outdoes the above....

Went to the ''new'' Macro this week after not going for a month or two...really a huge improvement with in house bakery and deli section..and best of all now fully airconditioned..great place for shopping although some products you have to buy 'multi pack''. But generally much better than Carrefour and Lotus etc..

I did not know they now had a house bakery & deli. Need to check that out, thanks.

I did not know they now had a house bakery & deli. Need to check that out, thanks.

Sharkfins too.

Sharkfins too.

And the meaning of your comment is what, please? Informative or criticizing?...

Meaning you shouldn't support any business that actively promotes this abhorrent practice.

Who the he-ll do you think you are? You'r telling me what you think i should do!! I buy whatever i want , whereever i want and if thats supporting them...well be it.

NOTE i definately do not condone the selling of sharkfin, and never have and never will buy it!!!!

All you high grounders spouting forth on TV about the sharks and the gibbons etc are forgetting the more serious issues...like all the human suffering, not only world wide but right here in your own backyard.

All your ''cheap living'' here comes from the sweat of way, way under paid fellow humans my friend is this not more an ABHORRENT practice.. You are way out of line on this reply LOS. Preach your one eyed views to the many posters that deserve it..,i simply asked 'classix' what he meant,and dont remember asking for your opinion on where to shop.

If the catching, defining, and discarding the still living bodies, to sink to the bottom and effectively suffocate limbless isnt abhorrent.. I am not sure what qualifies.

You make your own moral choices.. I dont buy goods from places that sell sharkfins. You can choose to do what you like, dine on tigers penis or bear gall bladder.. Up to yoo.

As to me having an opinion.. In case it escaped your attention this is a public forum not your front room.

...and a huge selection of french cheeses as well :)

Gerd

If the catching, defining, and discarding the still living bodies, to sink to the bottom and effectively suffocate limbless isnt abhorrent.. I am not sure what qualifies.

You make your own moral choices.. I dont buy goods from places that sell sharkfins. You can choose to do what you like, dine on tigers penis or bear gall bladder.. Up to yoo.

As to me having an opinion.. In case it escaped your attention this is a public forum not your front room.

Wow LOS having a bad day are we?.... Well you nicely sidestepped the bigger issue of HUMAN SUFFERING, I''ll write this slowly for you so you can understand.

I do not buy, consume or condone ANY of the animal cruelty issues you spout..OK so i have no moral choices to make.FACT!!

Yes it is a public forum, but go back to my question to classix...simply i asked him what his two word message was saying, i never ever agreed that animal cruelty was not anything other than abhorrent, did I??? You fired back at me over a question i asked Classix

Yes you are well entitled to your opinion on public forum[you are probably the major contributor to Phuket forum with YOUR opinions]

And most are usually in the ballpark, but this one you have obviously become very confused on my friend...Please read what i have said before you come back swinging huh!

Your opinion is yours, and i respect that, but i do not appreciate someone telling me;

QUOTE livinlos''

Meaning you shouldn't support any business that actively promotes this abhorrent practice.

You may well point this out, but as i said ''who the he-ll do you think you are'' by responding to me with such forcefull conviction in telling me as you have? If i said i didn't care for animal welfare, you may well have the right to defend your cause, but i did not say that!!!

Remember my friend...all i ever did was respond to a post and saying that Macro is now carrying more good farang stock....chillout ..

Where is the new Macro location???????????

Tavarich - Location of the "new" Makro is the old Makro!! Same place...just been tarted up a bit! Was in there last night for a look and was quite impressed compared to before. Just 500 metres or so past Central (opposite side) going towards Kathu.

Tavarich - Location of the "new" Makro is the old Makro!! Same place...just been tarted up a bit! Was in there last night for a look and was quite impressed compared to before. Just 500 metres or so past Central (opposite side) going towards Kathu.

Where is the new Macro location???????????

Yes thanks,emubob, 'new' meant as new i guess, sorry if that ''threw'' you tavarich...the ''newly done'' Macro is a huge improvement on the ''old'' ..much easier to find stuff and all the new range of bakery and deli and cheeses etc and makes it a nicer place to shop all round.

I've had a macro card for awhile now, but sometimes i go without my wife[who has the card] but is not a problem...simply get one at the reception on entry.

I have a big fridge and freezer so can buy in bulk and can save a lot compared to buying at the other outlets.

[quote name='classix' post=

Sharkfins too.

:) i think it would have been beneficial to all if you had made your point about sharkfins too. Are you simply telling consumers that they can buy the product if they so desire or are so saying :D and :D that they do indeed stock such contraversial products?

Also to OP and loveitto small spelling error...is Makro. I believe a K is used because of Dutch ownership..could be wrong, but is as i read on forum.

:D

Edited by expatdiane

Yes, the correct spelling is Makro. I was on there the other day, saw the new bakery but was in a hurry & so did not take much notice. I never used to care for the place apart from getting vegetables & seafood but will check out the new layout in due course.

Edited by Valentine

Hallo,

after we apparently had lenghty discussion about human or animal cruelty I would like to refer back to the OP's initial question:

According to my experience you do not need the card. I have an old (outdated) one but never been asked to show it. I think it is only useful if you want an official bill with company name and VAT on it.

And it was also mentioned that they have an "inhouse bakery". That, to my information, is only partly correct. When I asked the manager about some large french bread as advertised in some leaflets, she informed me that they import the frozen bread from France and just bake it up over here.

Yes, Gerd, the cheese section is good, but nothing outstanding compared to other supermarkets.

Also to OP and loveitto small spelling error...is Makro. I believe a K is used because of Dutch ownership..could be wrong, but is as i read on forum.

:)

Yes, it used to be a Dutch company, owned by the SHV. About 10 years ago it changed hands worldwide, and is now german owned (Metro). At least, most of it, parts have been sold to other parties.

Don't know where the name 'makro' came from though.

Sharkfins too.

.....mmmm...with pasta shells and sauce, fresh salad and garlic bread, all washed down with a nice Chianti... :)

On January 1st 1998, METRO Group acquired the European Cash and Carry business of SHV Makro, in which METRO Group already held a 40% stake.

METRO Group is one of Europe's biggest trading groups with outlets in 24 countries. The group comprises of five divisions, which include the cash and carry division of Metro Cash and Carry GmbH.

The cash and carry business (established in Germany in 1964) is the biggest division and currently has 416 outlets in 24 countries operating under the Metro and Makro trade names. METRO Group is listed on the Frankfurt/Main and Dusseldorf stock exchanges.

Just to confirm, you do need to own a business/registered company to be able to shop at Makro? Or you can just go in to shop as you like..?

As you enter Makro, there should be a customer service desk, ask for a day pass. All it is is a piece of paper the same size as a normal shopping or credit card size, has a bar code on it, upon checking out the cashier will scan it and keep it (today she didn't keep it). This is in outer BKK, should apply to your location as well.

Oh, I always thought you needed to own a business or have a registered company to shop (ie. buy things...?) at Makro, I think I read it from the (website?) but I'm not sure. I'm referring to that Makro in Chonburi (I think somewhere along Sukhumvit near Central Plaza). Maybe I will check it out since I'm bored of all the Big Cs and Lotuses...

Or is it that we can just browse, but can't purchase things without a registered company under your name?

Edited by smint