Top 10 Beers

Have any of you Thai residents/visitors tried the new Red Horse beer just released by San Miguel, brewed in Pathumthani?

6.9%  :D

I tried a couple and didn't much like it. You can taste the alcohol, which just isn't right for beer. Went back to Chang.

:D

Chang 6.5% vs Red Horse 6.9%

You can really taste the alcohol difference? :o

Try it Thai style... served room temperature with a couple of blocks of ice... by the time the ice has melted and it's cool enough to be palatable, the alcohol content will be less then 3%!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you Thai residents/visitors tried the new Red Horse beer just released by San Miguel, brewed in Pathumthani?

6.9%  :D

I tried a couple and didn't much like it. You can taste the alcohol, which just isn't right for beer. Went back to Chang.

Chang 6.5% vs Red Horse 6.9%

You can really taste the alcohol difference? :o

Try it Thai style... served room temperature with a couple of blocks of ice... by the time the ice has melted and it's cool enough to be palatable, the alcohol content will be less then 3%!!!

Unless your a quick drinker :D

You can really taste the alcohol difference?  :o

I don't think it's the amount of alcohol so much as the flavor that ought to be there to mask it. Chang, IMHO, is a nice, flavorful beer. Red Horse just has a lot of alcohol without much flavor. I felt the same way about the so-called "ice" beers that were popular a few years back: alcohol, water, fizz and not much else.

1. Guinness

2. Guinness

3. Guinness

4. Guinness

5. Guinness

6. Guinness

7. Guinness

8. Guinness

9. Murphy's (if I've drunk all the Guinness!)

10. Guinness

:o

If I had to pick a lager, which is generally the best available beer in LOS, I would have to pick Carlsberg - D'oh! Can't get it anymore here!

Oh well, make mine a nice cold Heiny! Limited choice in Thailand, Chang, Leo, Singha, you can keep them all! About the best "Asian" beer I've tasted is Tiger, which is getting more popular and easy to get hold of now. Asahi is drinkable as well...just!

1. Samuel Smith (any style)

2. McEwan's Scotch Ale (9.0% alcohol)

3. Anchor Porter or Liberty Ale

4. Any Anhueser Busch Product (eat me naysayers)

5. Tooth Sheaf Stout

6. Guinness

7. McAndrew's Scotch Ale

8. VB

9. Sam Adams Seasonal Ale

10. Sierra Nevada (I guess)

Just say no to the following piss waters

1. Thai Beer

2. German Beer

3. Dutch and Danish Beers

4. Miller Products

5. Heileman Products

For those of us that live in Thailand, don't know why we're talking about the ten best beers cause we sure can't get em here but we have easy access to the ten worst. LOL

Sitting down with friends..................................wot friends

Feeling lonely still lampard10? :o

Favourite 10 beers I can buy in Thailand?

1. Crown Larger (Australia)

2. Kilkenny (Ireland)

3. Guinness (Ireland)

4. Red Horse (Thailand)

5. Chang (Thailand)

6. VB (Australia)

7. Heinekin (Thailand)

8. Asahi (Japan)

9. Blue Ice (Thailand)

10. Tetleys (England)

The Asahi in Thailand is brewed here and thus is nasty stuff as all beers brewed in this country. it must be the water or something. Too bad the had to brew Tiger here. That was the best bet for a decent cheap import before. Thai brewed beers have too much formaldehydes as they induce vicious pounding headaches and no doubt brain cancer. From the above list, I liked VB the best but naturally my 2 local stores that carried the product here in Sukhumvit have recently discontinued it. Thailand is no country for a beer lover

6.9%  :o

Reminded me a bit of some of those strong Belgian beers - which don't really taste like beer ought to taste. Also seemed to be a bit gassy.

Me, I prefer Tiger, if I want to drink a fair few bottles and Chang if I want something a tad stronger.

And for something completely different, try Negra Modelo, which is a dark, Mexican beer. Widely available in Spain and presumably Mexico and maybe even in Thailand.

Edited by doctormann

Each to there own taste buds,so here is my list..no order of taste as i like different beers depending on where i am & climate.

Tiger, Sapporo, Guiness, Newcastle Brown Ale(has to be cold!!),Amstel(only when in Holland), Chang, Stella, Tsingtao, Cobra(When back in the UK after eating a Vindalo), Singha Gold. :o

1. Duvel

2. Bolleke (Local Antwerp Brew)

3. Leffe

4. Hoegaerden

5. Karmeliet

6. Rodenbach

7. Chang

8. Kloster

9. Becks

Your top 6 certainly rock. Love the Rodenbach Grand Cru. Just got back from Oz downing as much Coopers Pale I could as well as some typical Aussie p1ss like Carlton Draught. Got to HOng Kong and had some interesting beers. Love walking into a 7-11 and finding new beers to try. Tsing Tao Green unusual green in colour lager. And got to love San Miguel Pale Pils. Cant figure why its not here. Seeing how big the San Miguel EMpire is here.

Cheers and Beers

Carl

1. Duvel

2. Bolleke (Local Antwerp Brew)

3. Leffe

4. Hoegaerden

5. Karmeliet

6. Rodenbach

7. Chang

8. Kloster

9. Becks

Your top 6 certainly rock. Love the Rodenbach Grand Cru. Just got back from Oz downing as much Coopers Pale I could as well as some typical Aussie p1ss like Carlton Draught. Got to HOng Kong and had some interesting beers. Love walking into a 7-11 and finding new beers to try. Tsing Tao Green unusual green in colour lager. And got to love San Miguel Pale Pils. Cant figure why its not here. Seeing how big the San Miguel EMpire is here.

Cheers and Beers

Carl

Have to add an other favorite Liefmans; this is a beer that requires aging on the bottle like wine. Used to have 30 yr olds in the cellar. Pure delight. Can't imagine how I forgot about it.

:o

1. Samuel Smith (any style)

2. McEwan's Scotch Ale (9.0% alcohol)

3. Anchor Porter or Liberty Ale

4. Any Anhueser Busch Product (eat me naysayers)

5. Tooth Sheaf Stout

6. Guinness

7. McAndrew's Scotch Ale

8. VB

9. Sam Adams Seasonal Ale

10. Sierra Nevada (I guess)

Just say no to the following piss waters

1. Thai Beer

2. German Beer

3. Dutch and Danish Beers

4. Miller Products

5. Heileman Products

For those of us that live in Thailand, don't know why we're talking about the ten best beers cause we sure can't get em here but we have easy access to the ten worst. LOL

Well you blew all credibility as I went down your list when you included 'VB'

VB stands well next to Chang or Leo but as a great beer in the world????

Only if you've never tried the stuff.

The best Aussie beer by far.............................James Boags!

Followed by Coopers

Redback

Crown

Only if you've never tried the stuff :D:o

look below

Picture this after an Aussie Barbie :D in Thailand

:D:D:D:D

large.jpg

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

Yuengling Lager is my favorite.  It's brewed by the oldest Brewely in USA.  It's not worth the price unless it's fresh when yeast is very noticeable. 

My second favorite is Old Milwaukee--They did a blind tasting of popular beers and Old Milwaukee came up on top--very nice after taste.

I still prefer the black and tan from YL.

Here's my letterman

10. MGD

09. Beer Chang (donno why?)

08. Warsteiner larger

07. Newcastle Brown Ale

06. Victoria Bitter

05. Beamish Irish Stout

04. Sam Adams Summer Ale

03. Beer Laos

02. Killians Irish Red

01. Yuengling Black & Tan

What's the word from UK natives on Websters?  I had it on tap in a few London pubs and liked it alot.  What say you?

Websters is 3.8 or less. It's a beer for British Legion Clubs or the like where price is more important than quality. In fact Websters is the main reason why a lot of Southerners think Northern beer is crap. It's the only one they have tasted.

What's the word from UK natives on Websters?  I had it on tap in a few London pubs and liked it alot.  What say you?

Websters is 3.8 or less. It's a beer for British Legion Clubs or the like where price is more important than quality. In fact Websters is the main reason why a lot of Southerners think Northern beer is crap. It's the only one they have tasted.

Websters is your Budweiser? Da amn!

• 3 weeks later...

Came on this thread a bit late , I don't know if i can even list ten beers . I will try for five

1:) Cascade Pale Ale (great Tasmanian beer)

2 :)Cascade Premium(a great pic of a Thylacine on the bottle)

3. Tiger , my fav drink here in the LOS

4 Singha , the fall back alternative if resturant or corner store does not stock

Tiger

5. Chang...enough said..... if funds are low, pick up 3 for 100 baht, plenty of bang

for your buck .

Honourable mention to VB , first beer i got pissed on :o

Not the most sophistacated (sp) list, but that is what wine is for .

leo (th)

thai (th)

Victoria (gua)

Cabro (gua) currently my beer of choice

Guinness

Kilkenny

Leffe (be)

Duval (be)

grolsch (nl)

and er...

moza (black beer) (gua)

:D:D:D:o