Working (self Employed) Without A Permit. Consequences?

Anyone know what are the consequences in the event that one was to be found out to be working without a permit (self employment) in Thailand? Deportation? Fine? Jail time? All of the above?

"D" all of the above.

Would jail time mean a short stay in a minimum security resort (with conjugal visits), or incarceration for years in a hellhole full of rapists and murderers?... :)

I know somebody that got caught, first time he had a stern warning. Second time he got 1 month in prison suspended for a year, and deported, never to return :)

Thanks for the info. Was that recently or some time ago? So "1 month in prison suspended for a year", he didn't actually spend any time in jail then before deportation?

• 1 month later...
in the very unlikely event of getting caught, a handful of Baht at the time will make it all disappear, TIT

Unwise to count on this.

Well, if someone is already working illegally, I would think that counting on a fistful of Bt really is wiser than turning out empty pockets and counting on an angelic expression.

It depends on what you're doing, is it likely you'll get caught?

this is not exactly the definition of "legal" is it?

Honestly, I have spent 100,000s of Baht in the years I live here to run my business legally, including software licenses. Not one Baht under the table, everything against official receipts.

I have been called an idiot several times for doing so. Also from people who are no longer here.

First time offense will result in arrest, possibility for bail, and later at the court the judge will order a fine and your deportation.

You will most likely not be given a jail sentence, however due to the legal procedures you will spend some time in jail.

Mainly between being convicted and being deported. Depends on how well everything was prepared/timed (mainly ticket flying out).

There is no possibility for bail after the sentencing while awaiting your deportation so you'll remain incarcerated until flying out.

Working without a work permit is illegal, always, but indeed for self-employed foreign people there simply is no way to go legal unless setting up a company and hiring Thai staff, which might be entirely unfeasible depending on your line of work!

If you are actually working in the open there really is no excuse for not being legal and having all T's crossed and I's dotted!

I have a Non-Immigrant Marriage VISA but my wife wants me to teach 15 hours per week in a local government school!!! Would I need a Work Permit or just keep my marriage VISA!!! Also, since the school would give me a work permit what happens if I quit can I resume my Marriage VISA!!! Thanks for your assistance!!!

Working without a work permit is illegal, always, but indeed for self-employed foreign people there simply is no way to go legal unless setting up a company and hiring Thai staff, which might be entirely unfeasible depending on your line of work!

it was unnecessary for what I have been doing some years ago as well...still, I had to keep the company, office and staff although I could have done this as well from home alone. `

I have a Non-Immigrant Marriage VISA but my wife wants me to teach 15 hours per week in a local government school!!! Would I need a Work Permit or just keep my marriage VISA!!! Also, since the school would give me a work permit what happens if I quit can I resume my Marriage VISA!!! Thanks for your assistance!!!

You probably are here on an extension of stay based on marriage. For any kind of work, inclusing volunteer work, you need a work permit. Which is a separate thing than a visa or permission to say. On an extension based on marriage you can recieve a work permit. It is not necesarry to get a non-immigrant B visa, although some employers seem to think it is.

You can just continue to get an extension of stay based on marriage, in that case it won't have any consequences when your employment ceases.

You need a Visa to stay and a Work Permit to work.

If you work with a Work Permit your Visa remains as your permision to stay. You do not change . You need both together.

Thanks for the assistance!!! My wife is a C-7 with the government, so I did not want her to get in trouble!!! If I teach, I will apply for a Work Visa and continue my 90 day check-ins!!! Thanks for the info!!!

Thanks for the assistance!!! My wife is a C-7 with the government, so I did not want her to get in trouble!!! If I teach, I will apply for a Work Visa and continue my 90 day check-ins!!! Thanks for the info!!!

As said, the visa (or ectualy your permission to stay) allows you to live in Thailand. The work permit would allow you to work. So you would not resume your "marriage visa", you keep it.

When you lose your job you would only lose your job and work permit, not the "mariage visa".