A Young Couple Visiting Los For The First Time - Advice Please.

wamberal

I have started a thread in the Travel section, but time is tight and I need some advice quickly. A nice young Irish couple that I know are heading to LOS for three weeks. I initially thought that the best place for them to start would be Khaosan Road, but maybe my information is totally out of date.

Where should they base themselves for a few days to get some tips and travel ideas from other young people of a similar background?

I dunno about Khao San. I find it a bit touristy, and overpriced. Not the 'real' Thailand. It's like a bit of falangland placed in the middle of Thailand, if you understand what I'm saying. I just see alot of young western guys getting blitzed on their 'bucket' of alcohol and watching soccer. You could get that in Ireland if you want. However, lots of English speakers and other foreigners, if that's what they need. Depends on what they want out of their trip. BKK has so much more to offer and see than Khao San. The rest of Thailand more so.

Khao Sarn rd is the must place for newbie tourists to start at...

Long time stayers here may knock it but its a fun place where its easy to relax talk to other travellers and generally plan your 3 weeks and can book everything they need for travelling.

Khao Sarn Rd is a must...don't want to sound old but i remember ending up at Khao Sarn on my first holiday here 10 years ago and thought it was great place as do the majority of newbie tourists.

There is also a brand new hotel opened up opposite gullivers and its really really nice a mate of mine recently stayed there...1000 baht per night...the bedrooms are done in an Asian style.... mattress on a raised platform, big water urn in the large bathroom but with a power shower, flast screen tv etc.... a really cool place to start from for the first few days to a climatise....

My vote for Khao Sarn.....

I have started a thread in the Travel section, but time is tight and I need some advice quickly. A nice young Irish couple that I know are heading to LOS for three weeks. I initially thought that the best place for them to start would be Khaosan Road, but maybe my information is totally out of date.

Where should they base themselves for a few days to get some tips and travel ideas from other young people of a similar background?

You are on the mark with your suggested plan. There isn't any other option to start a trip for young couples. Bangkok is vast and overwhelming sometimes.

a primer on tuk tuk thieves, scammers, hustlers, and jewelry schemers is essential. A dangerous place for newbies for sure.

Be sure to tell them to stop in Nong Kai for those 60 meter tall statues in the Temple before going over to Laos. I was there yesterday, they are spectacular.

russ

On a short stay there is a lot to see. I'd stay in Bangkok for at least 4 or 5 days. I'd see the Royal Palace, the temple of Dawn (Wat Arun) on the river (Chao Phraya) that flows through the city. I would take a long tail boat ride up a few canals as a day trip. You can do it the same day as the Royal Palace trip or on the way to Wat Arun. I would also take a day trip up to Ayutthaya by bus and return by boat down the river. There are many companies that offer that tour.

Then I would take a trip over to Kanchanaburi for 3 days to visit the war museum and take a day trip to Mt Erawan water falls. They MUST take at least one day to visit waterfalls and Kanchanaburi is the place to start.

Then I would take the train, plane or bus down to Krabi to visit the beach scene. Some tourists never want to leave that area.

I would certainly recommend a trip to Pattaya just to see what everyone is talking about. The bar scene is crazy and yet you can still see other sights. A day trip to Koh Larn Island is certainly worth while.

Rather than post a few photos they can visit my photo gallery at this site and get a cross section of the whole country.

http://gallery.fishbc.com/gallery/view_alb...umName=album209

If they have time I would recommend a river raft trip in northern Thailand. Day trips are available that include swimming in waterfalls, mountain hikes and elephant rides.