Uniquely Thai Habits / Customs

cognos

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your wife/gf think nothing of disappearing with a sister or girlfriend for a couple of hours while you just sit somewhere twiddling your thumbs? This has happened several times, once when I went to the U.S. Embassy in BKK for a quick document. The three ladies went off for lunch for 2 hours while I waited, trying to sit my plump fanny on the sidewalk outside, in the hot sun.

I was hot, mad (offended), and fit to be tied when they finally drove up, and as I was complaining (civilly) to my wife the other two ladies looked at me like I was the boogey man. I've read before on TV when Thai ladies meet up the poor farang ceases to exist. Unfortunately I have witnessed this time and time again in varying degrees. Many Thai ladies seem to so enjoy each other, as we (try to) bide our time patiently. Actually in the case of the BKK trip mentioned, I think the girlfriends suggested lunch but my wife didn't want to disappoint them and complied.

Edited by ThailandLovr

Saying "Yes, of course!" by lifting the eyebrows a couple of times (as if anyone can see that under their hair!)

The complete and total insanity fits Thai women throw when they feel really wronged. O, the damage they can do when they "Have power!". Hide the knives.

Rear-ending or side-swiping other cars and continuing on as if nothing happened. Not running away, mind you. I mean REALLY proceeding as if you and they didn't just hear the rending of the metal of your car!

Complete and utter ignorance about the safety benefits of seat belts (especially in primary school minivans!)

Correcting your native English language with piss-poor broken English ("Sorry, sir, it not 'iced tea', it 'aye-eee'." or "Sorry, sir, it not 'Sprite', it 'S'pie'", etc. etc.)

Making absolutely no effort to "bridge the language gap" when a foreigner attempts to speak their language. For example, a foreigner may attempt to say "I want to buy". They may say "Yak sue" rather than "Yaak sue" and the Thai will remain utterly clueless [pardon the attempt to illustrate using romanized phonetics]. The point being that an ever so slight difference in intonation, pronunciation, or word choice completely baffles them. I have never encountered such utter cluelessness in any other country.

Deferring to one's clueless spouse/girlfriend when you initiate the conversation (in very good Thai, or worse, in English!) about matters the spouse/girlfriend has absolutely nothing to do with. Then, after your spouse/girlfriend politely tells them to speak directly to you because they have no knowledge about the matter, they STILL defer to the spouse/girlfriend! Drives me up the wall.

Putting 4-5 cm wide (rear) tires on motorbikes to improve performance. Oh! Then driving really fast in the rain (squinting) with no helmet while swerving through traffic. Oh! Then friends/family feeling the driver was "unlucky" when they wreck and become a burden to the family or die. No, dagnamit, the driver was STOOOPID!

Talking on the phone, driving with one hand, while primping in the mirror - on a motorbike at 60+ km/h with 3 passengers.

The defacto "law" that at intersections or when changing lanes, the biggest vehicle ALWAYS has the right of way.

The complete absence of public libraries and general lack of interest in reading. [There may be some, but in 10 years, I have not seen or heard about any anywhere - just a book van that infrequently travels around]

The presence of book knowledge, life knowledge, and street knowledge - but seemingly complete inability to apply basic common sense.

I will stop here. Note that the above observations DO NOT apply to most well-educated Thais, but they certainly are not exempt from the observation about common sense.

Edited by SNGLIFE

Openly picking your nose in public and coughing all over people.

We have that amongst the indigenous population in South Africa as well. Rahter disconcerting to go into a pizza take away, where the guy has one finger deep up a nostril whilst actually taking your order, and then turns to prepare your pizza topping without wearing gloves...charming. Staff in delis coughing over the open food display..charming..welcome to Africa!!

Maybe not just a Thai thing -

In the Big C's and Tesco's, often only 1 checkout staff for every customer that wants to pay, but in the electrical department , 10 staff for every customer that wants to buy.

Also Big C's and Tesco's in Thailand, if you buy something and want it delivered, it IS delivered when they say it will be.

One time i bought a fridge freezer in Tesco's, Khon Kaen and they delivered it the 25 Km before I finished my other shopping and returned home!

Tonto - I loved the "bottom finger story" not often I laugh out loud when I read a post :)

Also re

How about when shopping, handing 110 baht over for a 60 baht bill, expecting, nay! Hoping to get a 50 baht note in change, only to be given a hand full of small coins and a shit eating grin from a freshly zit squished face, which has that “you stupid farang” look about it! What I like about this is the obvious feeling of power and joy that I am a dumb farang.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've handed over, for example, 103 Baht for a 63 Baht tab only for them to hand back 37 baht plus my 3 x 1 Baht coins! To be fair most of the time, they do get the idea.

The other thing with giving change. So often if I am with my girlfriend, I make the purchase, I pay the money and yet they give the change to her !?

One time in Big C, I handed over the money for my purchases, finished putting the bags in my trolley and stuck my hand out expecting my change. The checkout girl looked confused - it turned out that she had given my change to the women in line after me. Strange thing - the woman took it, did she really think that I would not want it?

Does your wife/gf think nothing of disappearing with a sister or girlfriend for a couple of hours while you just sit somewhere twiddling your thumbs? This has happened several times, once when I went to the U.S. Embassy in BKK for a quick document. The three ladies went off for lunch for 2 hours while I waited, trying to sit my plump fanny on the sidewalk outside, in the hot sun.

I was hot, mad (offended), and fit to be tied when they finally drove up, and as I was complaining (civilly) to my wife the other two ladies looked at me like I was the boogey man. I've read before on TV when Thai ladies meet up the poor farang ceases to exist. Unfortunately I have witnessed this time and time again in varying degrees. Many Thai ladies seem to so enjoy each other, as we (try to) bide our time patiently. Actually in the case of the BKK trip mentioned, I think the girlfriends suggested lunch but my wife didn't want to disappoint them and complied.

no, we have phones, and rather than wait i would just go home.

In tesco lotus today with son and nephew eating KFC of off fancy plates with cutlery...and watching the other thais trying to look hi-so and posh eating their chicken with a knive and fork...pmsl...in the UK its a cardboard box and finger licking good!!!

Guemlum

In tesco lotus today with son and nephew eating KFC of off fancy plates with cutlery...and watching the other thais trying to look hi-so and posh eating their chicken with a knive and fork...pmsl...in the UK its a cardboard box and finger licking good!!!

Guemlum

It's not a matter of trying to look hi-so. Thais do this at home too it's just less messy to them and with napkins being such a commodity in restaurants it's not surprising.

1) Crappy napkins when you need 50 each minute! - just got back from visiting my GF and took her a packet of good quality 100 napkins and she just pushed them aside thinking I was crazy, on an evening took her to a fancy restuarant at top of Bayoke tower (food not good bit view wicked/romantic etc) and the restaurant had fancy posh linen napkins - I was so pleased until she asked for the silly box with the tissues!!

2) Getting a straw with everything and a bag for everything.....

Edited by silverdales

Should write as well about Uniquely Tourists/Farang Habits / Customs, want to add to the list?

walking half naked, no shirt, to show Tatoos, into Restaurants.

Why should you write about this as well ?

It has nothing to do with this topic and anyway is hardly unique to Farangs, I've seen many Thais do this

Edited by loong

Saying "Yes, of course!" by lifting the eyebrows a couple of times (as if anyone can see that under their hair!)

The complete and total insanity fits Thai women throw when they feel really wronged. O, the damage they can do when they "Have power!". Hide the knives.

Rear-ending or side-swiping other cars and continuing on as if nothing happened. Not running away, mind you. I mean REALLY proceeding as if you and they didn't just hear the rending of the metal of your car!

Complete and utter ignorance about the safety benefits of seat belts (especially in primary school minivans!)

Correcting your native English language with piss-poor broken English ("Sorry, sir, it not 'iced tea', it 'aye-eee'." or "Sorry, sir, it not 'Sprite', it 'S'pie'", etc. etc.)

Making absolutely no effort to "bridge the language gap" when a foreigner attempts to speak their language. For example, a foreigner may attempt to say "I want to buy". They may say "Yak sue" rather than "Yaak sue" and the Thai will remain utterly clueless [pardon the attempt to illustrate using romanized phonetics]. The point being that an ever so slight difference in intonation, pronunciation, or word choice completely baffles them. I have never encountered such utter cluelessness in any other country.

Deferring to one's clueless spouse/girlfriend when you initiate the conversation (in very good Thai, or worse, in English!) about matters the spouse/girlfriend has absolutely nothing to do with. Then, after your spouse/girlfriend politely tells them to speak directly to you because they have no knowledge about the matter, they STILL defer to the spouse/girlfriend! Drives me up the wall.

Putting 4-5 cm wide (rear) tires on motorbikes to improve performance. Oh! Then driving really fast in the rain (squinting) with no helmet while swerving through traffic. Oh! Then friends/family feeling the driver was "unlucky" when they wreck and become a burden to the family or die. No, dagnamit, the driver was STOOOPID!

Talking on the phone, driving with one hand, while primping in the mirror - on a motorbike at 60+ km/h with 3 passengers.

The defacto "law" that at intersections or when changing lanes, the biggest vehicle ALWAYS has the right of way.

The complete absence of public libraries and general lack of interest in reading. [There may be some, but in 10 years, I have not seen or heard about any anywhere - just a book van that infrequently travels around]

The presence of book knowledge, life knowledge, and street knowledge - but seemingly complete inability to apply basic common sense.

I will stop here. Note that the above observations DO NOT apply to most well-educated Thais, but they certainly are not exempt from the observation about common sense.

Sounds as if you've a good life here..... :)

Walking down sois to local shops in jim jams (uni age girls) wearing face packs and walking to same local 7 - 11 or similar...

When it rains 2 things.... 7 -11 plastic bag on ya noggin to protect against the polluted rain...

using leafs stuck under the rear number plate to stop the spray....

Ladies sitting side saddle on motorcycles

Wear your best shoes to walk/travel to work then putting on office slippers when at work :)

Ladyboys selling wedding photographs/studios in department stores :D

Shop workers following you around!! gggrrrrrrhhhhhhhaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaggggryyyyyrrrrrgggrrraaa Number 1 pet hate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shop workers following....OMG I hate that too. I could easily get mad about it, but I turn it into a game that discourages them all. When I see one tailing me, I walk a circle around the aisle, do an abrupt u turn, walk past them, make another circle and repeat until they stop following me. I keep or adjust the pace to keep them the same distance from me. My game is how many times do I have to do this before they get the idea and go back to standing with their collegues and continue their nose picking and gossiping.

shop workers following....OMG I hate that too. I could easily get mad about it, but I turn it into a game that discourages them all. When I see one tailing me, I walk a circle around the aisle, do an abrupt u turn, walk past them, make another circle and repeat until they stop following me. I keep or adjust the pace to keep them the same distance from me. My game is how many times do I have to do this before they get the idea and go back to standing with their collegues and continue their nose picking and gossiping.

:) So you do a crazy Ivan submarine manoeuvre..and circle back on the unsuspecting shop asistant! :D I love it.....i'll use this next time...

Shame you can't torpedo them...

Its not funny because it gives me high blood pressure..the amount of sales i have walked away from because of this following..is amazing...but its good for my bank account...they are actually

farang sales suppression asistants!

The use of calculators; even if one have bought something for 40 Baht and paid with a 100 Baht note.

Calculators serve as universal translators.

Some Thais stand on the toilet seat in order to avoid disease they perceive exists from many that have used the seat before them.Now as far as using the left hand to clean themselves leaves many more questions.....

It's a widespread practice - left hand for the toilet and right hand for eating rice. That's why the first amputation under Sharia law is of the right hand - a thief then can't eat with normal people.

Assuming every farang is a teacher.

(I accidentally posted this in the Thailand is not cheap thread - to everyone's confusement :) )

I read that in t'other thread and assumed you were being degoratory about farang teachers :D

However, this is so true...

My condo guards think I am even though they only ever see me in shorts and never going to work :D

(I accidentally posted this in the Thailand is not cheap thread - to everyone's confusement :) )

I read that in t'other thread and assumed you were being degoratory about farang teachers :D

My condo guards think I am even though they only ever see me in shorts and never going to work :D

It actually bugs me a bit, they assume the only thing we are doing here is teaching their kids English.

On that note back to the topic at hand, getting on the lifts and not knowing if it is going up and down, or getting on and forgetting to push a button.

It actually bugs me a bit, they assume the only thing we are doing here is teaching their kids English.

On that note back to the topic at hand, getting on the lifts and not knowing if it is going up and down, or getting on and forgetting to push a button.

that is a particularly middle eastern trait as evidenced at bumrunrad hospital. Bangladeshis seem to have a remarkable amount of problems getting on and off escalators too. it is fun to watch them girding their loins for that big step.