Uniquely Thai Habits / Customs

cognos

There are habits / customs perhaps unique to Thailand, but I only know a few, or perhaps none. One that comes to mind is the habit of Thai women sniffing babies/ and / or their lovers prior to kissing them, or just giving them a sniff or two. Is this "custom" uniquely Thai? Mai Loo ( don't know )..care to add ( for my "Thai" education and yours ) to the list ???

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 baht coin in the ear.
Banks of loud speakers blasting out distorted music at funerals from 6 am for a few days.

Got one 2 doors away and have got a headache :)

9 day funerals?

Sorry to disappoint, but coins in the ear are common in India, and week-long funerals ( with loud music ) are done in Taiwan.

Edited by Latindancer

Flips flops while wearing a dark pin-striped suit.

I've seen that many times in China too and even in Korea.

First I thought it might be Thai:never lifting their feet off the ground and dragging those flip flops and also other shoes on the floor - but actually Chinese, Koreans, Thais, Malaysians and certainly other East-Asians do it too. Maybe that's typical East Asian; Caucasians usually do that only at age 80 and up.

Something unusual for me is when i shop at the bakery of Big C, every tray got a paper sheet with lots of jams, sweet cream, etc, nobody cares to change it and expect you to put on it salty baked stuff too...also something that at first i tought was very rude are people that never reply to a salute, they didn't meant to be rude but are just not accustomised to good manners somehow, back home even the scummiest of the people would reply to an "hello" but here often seems to be an optional.....not a big deal, but strange...

Edit: ohh and anybody noticed the boat crews in Bangkok wearing a helmet but not life jackets? that's unique! :)

Edited by surayu

The "Wai", hands together greeting. And the rules that go with it, younger to older, not returned to young children, how high up the head etc......

the 'smile' (LOS). Which seems to be used to cover up any mistake or ignorance and for many other things.

Buddhism, monks confining themselves to the temple in the rainy season; water levels are high, insects are driven from the ground and they do not wish to be responsible for stepping on them.

Custom "no-no's": touching a Thai man on the face or head.

pointing or doing anything with the feet. Soles of feet pointing at anyone or religious or

royal images.

The Wai or car horn used when passing certain temples, religious sites or spirit houses.

Sniffing prior to, or more often in place of, a greeting kiss, is not uniquely Thai. Pacific islanders, Polynesian and Melanesian do that.

This character trait could even lend itself within the Pan-Asian world.

how about... millions of farang seeking ( and meeting ) mostly beautiful, ( or not so much) (mostly jai dee and sanook) women, that will go to the ends of the earth with them to "escape"??

"ends" as defined by the bank account maximum transfer and "earth" as defined by some place in Thailand to settle down.

There are some interesting "rules" about how underwear should be hung after washing (men's above women's?) and not walking beneath it.

According to this site, business.wsu.edu/StudyAbroad/Pages/Thai_Customs.aspx, (though it seems a little out of date on some issues), "Clothing from the lower parts of the body should never be left anywhere in a high position. This applies particularly to socks and underwear, but also to shorts and skirts. This is the case even when washing and drying clothes. Thais have two clothes lines - a high one for most clothes and a low one for underwear and socks."

Some Thais turn the clothes inside out when hanging to dry -- any idea why? I suggested to another foreigner that the reason might be to avoid gheecko poo but he said, "why would you want the poo on the inside?" :)

Some of the ghosties are surely unique.

Edited by WaiWai

Some Thais turn the clothes inside out when hanging to dry -- any idea why? I suggested to another foreigner that the reason might be to avoid gheecko poo but he said, "why would you want the poo on the inside?" :)

This is to prevent clothes from wearing out on the outside from the sun. It's a pretty good practice and prevents fading.

This is to prevent clothes from wearing out on the outside from the sun. It's a pretty good practice and prevents fading.

Fair enough -- thanks for the info!