Abhisit Could Die From Problems

webfact

COWBOY DIPLOMACY

"Abhisit could die from problems"

Published on November 12, 2009

Cambodian PM Hun Sen's recent interview showed no love lost between him and the current Thai government.

Cambodian PM Hun Sen meets the press and following is an excerpt of his conversation.

Problems with the Thai-Cambodia bilateral ties:

The problem with Thai-Cambodia relations is really a problem between myself and Khun Abhisit (Vejjajiva), the prime minister of Thailand. Before anybody speaks about this, they need to understand that I have been working in politics when the Thai prime minister was still a child.

Border closing:

If you want to close the border, close it. Cambodia will take up action in response. Cambodia will close the border, as well as shut out economic activities as well. Even one mouse will not be permitted to cross the border. We can get Thai goods through other countries. In 2008, Thailand exported US$2 billion to Cambodia - but Cambodia exported only US$90 million to Thailand. I don't want to close the border as it would affect the people, but the Thai prime minister is making threats.

Appointing Thaksin Shinawatra as economic adviser:

I want to be clear to all Thai people that the government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is the one making an issue out of this. Cambodia has appointed a number of foreigners as economic advisers in the past, including Koreans and Australians and I don't see what the prime minister is afraid of. I have explained to the Asean meeting in Hua Hin, and I have been very patient about it, but I have been at the receiving end of Thailand's attack. It was Abhisit who went on and invalidated the MoU (on joint development of overlapping territory in the Gulf of Thailand).

Who is really serving whom?

Khun Abhisit is alleging that Thailand's dignity is at stake. But I want to tell you that the "red shirts" support this appointment (of Thaksin) but the "yellow shirts" don't. And there are those who are remaining quiet about this whole thing. These people know that the Hun Sen government is a good administration. My government is not being used by anybody. I think it's Abhisit who has become a tool of Thaksin. Whenever Thaksin opens up on certain issues, it is Abhisit who reacts accordingly and acted without thinking about the interests of the country and its people. He is using personal reasons to cancel cooperation between two countries. Can Thai people live with a leader like this? Can a person like this lead Asean? Asean will eventually become one market and possibly one currency but it's Thailand who is behaving aggressively against Cambodia. During the Angkor civilisation there were accusations that Thailand had lost territory to Cambodia. Study your history and you will see who is the real aggressor.

What can Asean do?

Cambodia is prepared to negotiate any place, any time, in a bilateral or multilateral setting. But it appeared that Thailand has already decided that this is not going to happen. Asean Secretary-General Surin (Pitsuwan) needs to understand that it has to be comprehensive and should include the 19 September 2006 coup (against Thaksin), the overlapping claims along the border, the appointment of Thaksin as economic advisor. You can use whatever mechanism you want, Cambodia is ready. I helped safe Thailand and Abhisit's face by not talking about this at Asean Summit in Hua Hin. You want to solve this problem you should go to the beginning. If this is about appointing Thaksin, then we need to all the way back to the 19 September coup. If Ahisit is so capable, why not dissolve the Parliament and call for a new election. What is he afraid of? I am the prime minister of Cambodia who received two-third of the vote and how much vote did Abhisit received or did he stole his seat from other people? If so how do you expect to respect you?

Insulting Thailand

Abhisit is faced with all kinds of problems. He could die from it. He has problem with all his neighbours, including Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar. Moreover, he has problem with the yellow shirt, the red shirt and the blue shirt and the white shirt. Even the yellow shirt are not united among their own kind. What due respect does Cambodia has to give Thailand? Appointing Thaksin has nothing to do with Thailand? I have told Abhisit that Thaksin is my friend. Friend don't betray friend.

About disrespecting Thailand's judicial system:

There is nothing in the Thai judicial system that is worth respecting. In the past Khieu Samphan, Nuan Chea was residing in Cambodia before they relocate to Cambodia. This was not only a violation of international laws and norms, Thailand even endorse Khmer Rogue and the peace process. I want the Thai people to know that the government don't even respect international law and so how can we even respect Thai judicial system?

On Preah Vihear Temple:

We negotiated with Thailand three times. We agreed to solve the problem peacefully. But the agreement they signed was erased with their feet. Thailand obstructed Thailand's bid (for Unesco World Heritage) and has the nerve to say that it has nothing to do with Cambodia. It's like they are calling us stupid. Thailand has used Preah Vihear as a hostage and used it to take down a government. I have asked Parliament President Chai Chidchob for help but he said the issue has passed the Parliament. Thailand politicised this issue at the expense of prolonging the problem.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before anybody speaks about this, they need to understand that I have been working in politics when the Thai prime minister was still a child.

Sort of thing that Samak liked to say.

Anyway, we all know what Hun Sen was up to when Abhisit was a child and it's hardly something to be proud of.

sawasdee krap....

if we look fairly about this matter....

I think Cambodian PM Hun Sen has his own point for.....

It's seems now.... khun Abhisit is overreacting regarding this issue.... It's state that... it's at international stage... it's between 2 kingdoms.... therefore, every moved will affected among 2 nations and it's not good for ASEAN as a multilateral society ...

I think ASEAN will pushed 2 nations for the sake of friendship among nations... thus at the end... khun Abhisit will lose his point then....

We are used to such a white-washed (or yellow-washed) view of Thai politics that the truth in his statements almost seems like something that shouldn't be said. Thank Buddha that someone is saying it!

Not sure about that. Seems like a fair few deluded souls spouting the same sort of nonsense as Hun Sen, on this forum over the last few days.

There is nothing in the Thai judicial system that is worth respecting

Well, he got one thing right!!

I guess had the Thai justice system accepted Thaksin million baht lunch box and cleared him of all charges they would have been much more worthy of respect.

There is nothing in the Thai judicial system that is worth respecting

Well, he got one thing right!!

I guess had the Thai justice system accepted Thaksin million baht lunch box and cleared him of all charges they would have been much more worthy of respect.

It's not like they could go against the Inner circle!!

Before anybody speaks about this, they need to understand that I have been working in politics when the Thai prime minister was still a child.

Anyway, we all know what Hun Sen was up to when Abhisit was a child and it's hardly something to be proud of.

I wonder if Hun Sen will dare tell this same thing to Lee Kuan Yew's son... :)

On the promise of how many millions or billions did he read this transcript?

Who is whining out the soles of his feet in this?

These are not the words of Hun Sen, these are the words of a fugitive on the run ....

who will stop at nothing in undermining the integrity of this government unless he has his cronies in place!

Looks like he considers it his country in the widest sense - thinking what he said in the times interview.

At least he is going to make his point ever clearer!

Nobody is able to run this country except him!

edited to add text

Edited by Samuian

Seems rather strange ecomomics to me if Thailand can stop buying from cambodia so that it loses money and cambodia can buy Thai goods from other countries so Thailand still gains revenue. Is that advice from the economic advisor?

Since when running a nation is personal. I thought the elected official (if they are truly elected :D ) is supposed to work for the good of the nation not themselves. Oh well is Cambodia after all :)

Even one mouse will not be permitted to cross the border.

Thailand exports mice to Cambodia ? You learn something new every day ! :)

He could die from it.

Was that a threat or a promise, from ex-Khmer-Rouge Hun Sen ? Sounds more like something his new economic-advisor might have said ! :D

Even one mouse will not be permitted to cross the border.

Thailand exports mice to Cambodia ? You learn something new every day ! :)

He could die from it.

Was that a threat or a promise, from ex-Khmer-Rouge Hun Sen ? Sounds more like something his new economic-advisor might have said ! :D

probably something Hun Sen tells his opponents on a regular basis.

Thaksin also had no problem with people going 'missing' or mysteriously dying by the litteral truck load.

Hun Sen has said some critical things about Thailand. He maybe able to do that and the Nation may be able to print it, but we need to exercise care in our criticism of any institutions, especially, in this case the judicial system and it's decisions. Discussion OK, inflammatory remarks; not OK.

There's a lot of information here and we want to keep the thread open and reasonably clean and on-topic.

A country gets the government it deserves. Makes you wonder what the Cambodians did to deserve this PM.

They fought a long and painful war for their freedom. The other option was a Khmer Rouge led government.

I believe they made the right choice

Yes, they did but the option you didn't mention is the Sam Rainsy party.

Most things are better than the Khmer Rouge but may be you should read a little about Hun Sen. Try the Global Witness 2009 report for starters.

Mr T is hardly in exalted company.

Hun Sen exports his brand of poltics employed regularly in his country to a neighbour. His speech is beyond diplomatic language - a comparison of the Thai extradition request and the Cambodianm response shows Cambiodia wants to use common or street language while Thailand wants to use diplomatic/legal language. Thailand is playing to an international audience right now and Cambodia to their local one and possibly Thaksin's base. With Abhisit due to play an important role in a meeting with Obama in the next few days Thailand will not change tact but just resubmit the request in diplomatic language. With Hun Sen and Thaksin both wanting to embarrass or upstage Abhisit's moment they will keep to common parlance. A question remains as to how far people want to push things to wreck Abhisit's moment in the sun which no doubt Thaksin also thinks shouiild have been his. Interesting that Cambodia is adding almost verbatim red leader talking points into its releases and responses. Realpolitik.

After the Obama meeting Thailand could change tack a bit.

Wilkipedia entry on Hun Sen's Political past.

You may or may not remember that the UN in all it's wisdom spent a lot of money on providing "Fair and Free" elections in Cambodia.

Strange how History keeps repeating itself!!!!!

Hun Sen was selected by the Vietnamese for a leadership role in the rebel army and government they were creating for Cambodia. When the Khmer Rouge regime was overthrown, Hun Sen was appointed as foreign minister of the Vietnamese-installed People's Republic of Kampuchea/State of Cambodia (PRK/SOC) in 1979 and in 1985 he was made Chief of the Minister Council, prime minister, after the death of his chairman Chan Sy until 1990, with a brief interruption from 1986 until 1987. As foreign minister, Hun Sen was a key figure in the Paris Peace Talks which brokered peace in Cambodia.

From 1993 until 1998 he was co-prime minister with Prince Norodom Ranariddh. Norodom Ranariddh was First Primer Minister and he was second Prime Minister. However, the actual power lied in the hand of Hun Sen for most of the high officers in Cambodia including the military are CPP members which led Norodom Ranariddh to be jealous of his co-prime minister and led to power struggle and directly resulting in the July 1997 military conflict.

In 1997, the coalition was shaken by tensions between Ranariddh and Hun Sen. Funcinpec began to collaborate with the remaining Khmer Rougehad been allied against Hun Sen's Vietnamese-backed government during the 1980s), aiming to absorb them into its ranks.

In response, Hun Sen launched the 1997 Cambodian Coup, replacing Ranariddh with Ung Hout as the First Prime Minister and himself still as the Second Prime Minister until his CPP party victory in 1998 election and becoming the country's sole prime minister in 1998. During that year the media has broadcasted him as the Strong Man of Cambodia which he later said it was too early and that the July 1997 merely an event that the government took action against the anarchy paramilitary that sponsored and brough to Phnom Penh by Norodom Ranariddh. It was not a coup after all.

The elections of July 2003 resulted in a larger majority in the National Assembly for the CPP, with FUNCINPEC losing seats to the CPP and the Sam Rainsy Party. However, CPP's majority was short of the two thirds constitutionally required for the CPP to form a government alone. This deadlock was overcome and a new CPP-FUNCINPEC coalition was formed in mid-2004. When Norodom Ranariddh was chosen to be the head of National Assembly and Hun Sen become again sole prime minister of Cambodia.

He joined the International Parliament for Safety and Peace, as Senator for Life in October 2007.

Some political opponents of Hun Sen accuse him of being a puppet of Hanoi. This is due to his position in the government created by Vietnam while Cambodia was under Vietnamese military occupation and the fact that he was a prominent figure in the People's Revolutionary Party of Kampuchea (now known as the Cambodian People's Party), which governed Cambodia as a one-party state under Vietnamese military occupation from 1979 until the elections in 1993. Hun Sen and his supporters reject such charges, saying that he represents only the Cambodian people. More recent political opponents outside the country know him, his family and CPP for being a corrupt dictator who controls the country by force.

Hun Sen's government has also been known for carrying out a fire sale of land to foreign investors in 2007-08 and the eviction of thousands of residents from their homes.

Hun Sen was implicated in corruption related to Cambodia's oil wealth and mineral resources in Global Witness 2009 report on Cambodia. He and his close associates were accused of carrying out secret negotiations with interested private parties and taking money from those who he would grant rights to exploit the resources. However, the prime minister and his government have denied this accusation and called it groundless.

You can judge for yourself on what a good choice it was to appoint Thaksin as an Economic adviser.

Edited by stagger

100 Peu Thai MPs are going to Phnom Pehn, right on schedule.

So what if Cambodians are fighting on the border with Thai soldiers.

What is that line about "giving aid and comfort to the enemy"?

Hun Sen is actively trying to destabilize Thailand.

That qualifies as an Enemy of the State.

Peu Thai is so desperate to get back Thaksin, and sole access to the money trough,

no move and now ally of convenience is too low a stoop.

Edited by animatic

Hun Sen is a canny manipulator and seems to have little compunction to be diplomatic.

Chavalit was working in politics when Hun Sen was a child, that doesn't make his decisions better.

Ah to dance the majorka as Rome burns.

Edited by animatic