Frustrating Experiences In Los

cognos

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more a laugh really but have you ever been to seven 11 for a top up phone card?

Me: 12call 100(bht), na krup

Sever: Mai Me ka. 200(bht) dai mai?

Me: Me 50bht mai, Krup?

Server: Me ka

Me: 12call 50bht, Krup. 2 tour, na krup

Sever: [embarrassed sheepish grin]

Me: [beaming ritious indignation!]

The End.

locals picking up the phone with 'hellohhhhhhhh????????'

local companies calling you introducing themselves with 'hellohhhhhhhh????????'

locals disturbing you by calling the wrong number and just hang up without apology

knowing in advance that the carrefour or tesco cassier will not understand the large shopper you brought as they are programmed to stuff things in plastic

knowing in advance the staff of the 7eleven where your come for years will recount your stickers and getting confused by their own miscounts, thus spending 30 minutes to count 60 stickers, while you wrote the number on it already

90% is just totally insane !

----

well this can go on for hours so better time for something positive.....

gotta feel for the drivers though! what a <deleted> job.

Yeah they get absolutely no respect from other drivers who do their best to just squeeze past the lumbering old things... I try to hang back and give them space when I can, even if it means getting stuck in a James Bond-esque black smokescreen...

after waiting 18 months, FINALLY got to sleep with the new ( Thai ) wife..

Wait, what...you waited 18 months to 'sleep' with her? Surely that is the frustrating part of your story? (and FYI, i would never-ever marry nor date a woman that insisted on waiting until marriage for that.)

The good out weighs the bad by a long shot, but there are some things that just make you shake your head in wonder.

When you tell a Thai woman that you will buy her a motorbike, but she has to wait until you get there before you do. So, what does she do? Before you arrive she goes off and purchases a brand new motorbike on time... with all the attending interest payments. Then, you find out that you can't buy out the contract at the original cost of 40,000 baht, but have to pay the amortized price of 60,000 baht. Sorry, I ain't paying interest to either a bank or a motorcycle company. I pay the full amount in cash or I don't buy at all. Then the little lady thinks it's my fault and not hers.

Another is buying a Thai woman gold jewelry as a birthday present, and coming back a few months later to find she's sold it... at half the original cost of course. When you ask where is the gold necklace I bought for you she says "I sell. Need money." Oops, there goes another interest loss. Similar scenarios are repeated over and over and the little lady never seems to understand why she hasn't any money.

Eventually, your generosity is terminated and you find someone else to help. I enjoy helping others when I can, but nobody wants to be played as a sucker. I prefer helping others help themselves, but a lot of Thais can not see five minutes into the future and realize their actions can screw up a good thing. They don't seem to have any loyalty when it comes to a verbal business contract. Many will leave a perfectly good job to run home and see some relative, and in so doing leave the business owner in need of staff. Then, they expect their job to be waiting for them when they decide to return.

The good out weighs the bad by a long shot, but there are some things that just make you shake your head in wonder.

When you tell a Thai woman that you will buy her a motorbike, but she has to wait until you get there before you do. So, what does she do? Before you arrive she goes off and purchases a brand new motorbike on time... with all the attending interest payments. Then, you find out that you can't buy out the contract at the original cost of 40,000 baht, but have to pay the amortized price of 60,000 baht. Sorry, I ain't paying interest to either a bank or a motorcycle company. I pay the full amount in cash or I don't buy at all. Then the little lady thinks it's my fault and not hers.

Another is buying a Thai woman gold jewelry as a birthday present, and coming back a few months later to find she's sold it... at half the original cost of course. When you ask where is the gold necklace I bought for you she says "I sell. Need money." Oops, there goes another interest loss. Similar scenarios are repeated over and over and the little lady never seems to understand why she hasn't any money.

Eventually, your generosity is terminated and you find someone else to help. I enjoy helping others when I can, but nobody wants to be played as a sucker. I prefer helping others help themselves, but a lot of Thais can not see five minutes into the future and realize their actions can screw up a good thing. They don't seem to have any loyalty when it comes to a verbal business contract. Many will leave a perfectly good job to run home and see some relative, and in so doing leave the business owner in need of staff. Then, they expect their job to be waiting for them when they decide to return.

Sorry, I ain't paying interest to either a bank or a motorcycle company. I pay the full amount in cash or I don't buy at all.

What happened in the end? Did she have to honour the contract or did they tear it up as you refused to guarantee it?

The good outweighs the bad sounds nice, but in Thailand the bad far outweighs the good for many if not most expats.

The main problems:

1) totally insane visa/retirement system;

2) totally insane business rules for foreigners;

3) massive corruption;

4) stealing from foreigners at every opportunity;

5) environmental pollution;

6) complete lack of understanding of basic hygiene;

7) horrible traffic jams.

There are certainly better places to be than Thailand.

Sorry, I ain't paying interest to either a bank or a motorcycle company. I pay the full amount in cash or I don't buy at all.

What happened in the end? Did she have to honour the contract or did they tear it up as you refused to guarantee it?

I used to give to a lot of charities that helped children, but I never knew if my money was being wisely spent or not. I never knew how much was siphoned off to "administration"... like giving to the Catholic church.

About 6 years ago I decided to "adopt' a Thai family in need... for better or worse. Because I love children I liked the idea that I could have some personal involvement in a family. I also knew there could be problems because the mother would try to get me to marry her and support the whole extended family... sisters, brothers, parents, cousins etc. I may be a bit of a sucker, but I wasn't dug up under a turnip patch.

I only have so much I can afford to give to charity and no more. I knew that most working Thais earn somewhere around 6000 baht a month, and I set my budget to include that amount for the Thai family. I learned very quickly that anything given to a Thai is spent 5 minutes after receiving it without any thought for the future. If the grandmother says she wants all the money then that is where the money goes, and not where it was intended. Instead of sending one large amount that the family could budget over the 7 months I was away in Canada, I had to send a little bit each month... with all the attending bank charges ($30 each transaction). Now I just HATE paying banks a single dime if I can get away from it, but in this case I was stuck.

Now, to answer your question. I made it VERY plain to the mother MANY TIMES that we would NEVER be married. I would NEVER buy them a big house. But, I did say I would send them 6 to 10 thousand baht each and every month... and I've done so. And, I always shop for the children when I come for a visit. Those costs are extra and above the 6000 baht for necessities each month. When the mother used the necessities money as a down payment on the motorbike I got pissed off. I told her she could pay the interest out of whatever she could earn elsewhere if she CHOSE to get a job. But, like a lot of Thais who think they have a farang on the hook, she thought I would pay for the bike. It ain't going to happen. I had already bought an old bike they were able to attach to a side car and use in the ice/water/cold drink business I set up for the family. I WOULD have bought a good used bike for the family had the mother not already purchased a brand new bike on time. Now they all seem to think it is MY fault... and I'm the bad guy for not supplying everything for the whole family.

It ain't going to happen. I had already bought an old bike they were able to attach to a side car and use in the ice/water/cold drink business I set up for the family. I WOULD have bought a good used bike for the family had the mother not already purchased a brand new bike on time. Now they all seem to think it is MY fault... and I'm the bad guy for not supplying everything for the whole family.

Funny how they think it's your fault! I hope your going to stop sponsoring them now!

As a bi monthly visitor to the Isaan village we intend to stay in, I was often frustrated at the little "shop/beer shop" I don't like Leo, Chang etc., and although we often told the lady that I only drank Heineken, she kept asking us to come and buy a beer or two. Finally, she gets the message and tells me that next time, she will have Heineken in the fridge. So, few days ago, we rolled up and she had none. As it was bloody cool, we went home. 30 minutes later, her daughter rocked up saying they had been and bought Heineken, I better come quick. Fair enough, quick service, thought I. Along I went and had one large bottle, then closing time (7pm)came along so no time for another. Yesterday, a little earlier, we went along to find there was none again. Would you believe that the lady (night before) had sent her daughter 5 kms on the motosy to get ONE bottle of beer for me the night before. I just don't understand her business acumen at all. Even the gf, who normally has an answer, was a little put out.

That is an odd story, prefab, but typical of many rural Thais. Western logic is just not part of their thought process. But, your heart DOES have to go out for them to have gone to that much effort for just one beer to somehow please a farang.

having a conversation with my staff only to have another staff member come up 10 minutes later to ask me what I was talking about so they could translate to the first staff member! who by the way normally agrees to everthing I said first time round :)

Hmmm I'm actually the opposite, sometimes people will tell me something in Thai and I understand the gist of it, smile and nod politely, then wonder, what was that actually about? :D

And another pet peeve... doctors... you never know what quacks you'll end up with, here's one from personal experience, went to the Bangkok Phuket hospital some time back to get a blood check to see which hepatitis vaccinations I needed, if any. So, since we also did not know my blood, my mom asked the doctor to check on that too...

One week later, we go back, turns out I need a shot for Hep B only, and I am blood group O...

Mom: Yes, but O positive or negative?

Doc: Oh we didn't check

Mom: Why not?

Doc: No need really, all Thai people are O negative, so your son must be O positive

Mom & me: *facepalm*

This one happened to an acquaintance of my parents:

Doc: Pull out your tongue.... Hmmmmm that's interesting, you have AIDS

Doc walks outside to waiting area, calls out to the guy's wife, "Did you know your husband had AIDS?"

Much argument ensues, doc agrees to do a proper test

one week later:

Doc: Oh actually, you have cancer (which, sadly, he did)

That is an odd story, prefab, but typical of many rural Thais. Western logic is just not part of their thought process. But, your heart DOES have to go out for them to have gone to that much effort for just one beer to somehow please a farang.

Dunno about wanting to please me. She has been overcharging regularly and the gf doesn't buy anything out of her shop, on the advice of neighbours and family. Just happens to be on the way home on our nightly walk round the klong. She worked the bar scene in Bangkok as a youngster, doesn't hide the fact. Actually, this last part rather endeared he to me as it was just another fact of life in the daily grind which is Issan. Mind you, trying to get me to set her 17 year old daughter up with a farang has been getting on my goat a bit.

i don't see these as frustrations common to thailand so much as frustrations common to the folk you surround yourself with. neither the motorcycle nor the gold issue has ever presented itself to me. but then i dont tell thai women i am going to buy them a bike.

It sounds like a lot of complaints about Thai people's lack of financial understanding and low intelligence has to do with the type you're associating with. I'm assuming you're referring to lower class, uneducated folk. Most of the Thais I know are very savvy and serious business people.

Ha! Loz that was good. "Chocolate man"..... ya they have no clue. At least they do it to themselves more than foreigners, if a child has dark skin his nickname becomes "Blackie", if hes fat, he's "fatty", ugly becomes "Ugly".... not a lot of deep thought going on.

Don't let it get to you. Chocolate man and other nicknames based on physical appearance are not meant to be offensive. Otherwise, they wouldn't say it to your face. As an Asian, I know this as an insider. Within my own extended family, many have endearing nicknames based on skin color, size, etc. My grandfather used to call my cousin not by her name, but "little piggy" because she was fat. She was also my grandfather's favorite grandchild. There certainly wasn't any malice in his wording, nor did anyone perceive there to be.

Wait, what...you waited 18 months to 'sleep' with her? Surely that is the frustrating part of your story? (and FYI, i would never-ever marry nor date a woman that insisted on waiting until marriage for that.)

..understandable..i was like that for a long time..most wouldn't wait more than a few days..is this one reason why so many farang are married to gals from the "oldest profession??"

btw..after marriage..she wants sex virtually every night, so if she is typical of conservative Thai women, you guys that won't/can't wait may be "missing the boat"

signed: easy come, easy go??

..if they close many of the (farang) the sex bars down, will this seriously impact TV??.. after all.. "80%" of the interesting posts are about frustrating experiences related by farang and their former "bg" wives/girlfriends..

signed: killing the goose that laid the golden egg

YEP would be very fustrating but if you & others are prepared to do that I really wander if anything would fustrate you`s.

I cannot beleive these sort of stories of waiting (SURELY YOUR NOT SLEEPING IN THE SAME ROOM AS MUM)

It`s a THAI ON THAI thing, not thai & farang

AS MENTIONED MANY TIMES THERE ARE PLENTY OF GOOD WOMEN OUT THERE WHO WOULD WANT A GOOD FOREIGNER TO TAKE HOME & SHOW OFF

& I`m sure they might be more worried about him leaving

People sleeping in hotels with the TV on loud all night. Gf explained that they are afraid of being alone, maybe cos many of them sleep together in the same room in the family homes, so put the box on for company. Keeps me awake in the next room, how they manage to sleep I have no idea

My frustrating experience is that some people i meet are always frustrated about everything in Thailand and still stay here.

If frustrated about Thailand and there people please F@@@OFF (sorry for the language).

i admire you, as i read your post, and you have a right to be frustrated, but you CHOOSE to be positive...everything will work out for you..God Bless you..

signed: your attitude determines your altitude

My frustrating experience is that some people i meet are always frustrated about everything in Thailand and still stay here.

If frustrated about Thailand and there people please F@@@OFF (sorry for the language).

i admire you, as i read your post, and you have a right to be frustrated, but you CHOOSE to be positive...everything will work out for you..God Bless you..

signed: your attitude determines your altitude

I am, but i wasnt talking about myself but Thanks for reading my post and understand my situation.

Meet some people who only can talk about how bad Thailand is and Thai people, i always tell them to go back to there own country, no one is going to stop them to stay.

Most off that frustrated people spending here 15 k a month on beer and girls and causes troubles for 20 k a month, Thailand is better off without them.