Thinking Of Cancelling My Nonimm O Extension Application

I have a NonImmO Visa that is due for extension on or before 8th December.

Can I apply for a shorter extension, and if so, how long will they give me?

I expect it's only 15 days if I'm not mistaken ..

I was hoping for 30 days ..

I may be away for 8 months or more, so I thought a 12 month extension would be wasted.

Could I not just apply for a new NonImmO when I'm back in Oz and ready to return to LOS?

Or is there any advantage/disadvantage either way?

Thanks

Is your permission to stay based on:

1) Non-O visa (issued by Thai embassy/consulate abroad) and if so is it single or multiple entry, or

2) Extension of stay (issued by Thai immigration)?

And what is the basis of issue - Thai wife/Thai child/employment/retirement etc?

If you are just on the non immigrant visa (i.e. leave before stamp was issued on entering Thailand), then you normally are not allowed an extension.

With a confirmed ticket out you might get a 7 day extension, but even this would cost 1900 Baht.

Doing a land border run buys you another 15 days.

In your case, if you qualify for a 1 year extension, just go for it. 1900 Baht all the same, although you'd need to get at least a single re-entry permit (1000 Baht) as you will be leaving Thailand.

Is your permission to stay based on:

1) Non-O visa (issued by Thai embassy/consulate abroad) and if so is it single or multiple entry, or

2) Extension of stay (issued by Thai immigration)?

And what is the basis of issue - Thai wife/Thai child/employment/retirement etc?

Thanks thaiphoon:

My visa is multi entry and issued in Australia.

This would be my first extension of stay and would be based on 800K Baht in bank.

I have a Thai wife & child and I might change to that type of visa after another year,

simply so we have access to the spare 400K Baht.

It looks like the economics of a 12 month extension of stay is the better option and I could

avoid doing a border run too.

My understanding is that the 12 month extension runs out after 12 months or are the months

spent away from Thailand not counted?

Thank you - so many things we need to know.

You guys are worth your weight in gold ..

First extension will require the funds be in bank 2 months prior to application - 1 year will start at end of current permitted to stay. As you would also require a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht prior to leaving. You can also avoid a border run by getting a 60 day extension based on wife/child (they have to be with you). But as said that will also cost 1,900 baht and you would still have to obtain a new non immigrant O visa for return/later one year extension.

Thanks guys

I will take your advice and do the 12 month extension

to stay and get a re-entry permit.

Is that re-entry permit available from the same office

that does the extension or do I get that at the airport?

If I want to come back for say a 3 week holiday during

that 12 months, what do I need to do in order to keep the 12 month extension going?

Do I get another re-entry permit on my way out each time, during that 12 month period?

Cheers

You get at same office you obtain extension of stay (after getting extension stamp) - not at airport anymore. You need for each departure to keep extension of stay alive so option to use 1,000 baht each or 3,800 baht for multi entry if you plan a number of trips; or your time to obtain a new one is valuable.

You might want to check with immigration before you decide, as I believe that a re entry permit is only good for a three month period outside Thailand. I was advised this some years ago in immigration, that I had to return within three months, but it may have changed now, so check .

Just two more questions:

Question 1. It appears that the new Nakhon Sawan Immigration office will not

be opening in time for my extension of stay application.

That means I will have to travel to TAK to get the job done.

Does this mean to Tak city or does that mean Mae Sot in TAK province?

I don't want to drive to Mae Sot, if it can be done in Tak city.

(assuming they even have an office there)

Question 2. On the form TM7 -(back side top of page)

- They ask for your address in Thailand (on one line) ..........................................

OK no problem with that ..

The next line asks for the name of the applicant .............

OK no problem with that ..

The next line they ask for your address (again?)

In detail this time with spaces for house number, road, Tambon, Amphoe and Changwat ...

Or do they mean your home address in Country of origin?

I hate filling in forms when the questions are ambiguous like this!

I can assume they mean my home address, but why not

just print it? - "address in your home country"

As I understand it they want you to fill in the forms by hand in the office.

Tm7 form is the same for travelers as for those living here so yes - you put the address you live at if on an extension of stay in Thailand.

I don't know about Tak without looking at the map under useful information in the pinned area above forum. Should be in about the 3 or 4 post about half way down and will lead to Google maps view with address.

Tak immigration is in "Mae Sod", actually a few km's from Mae Sod, right at the border. The office is located next to the bridge, on your left hand when facing the border. But make sure you have to go there, inquire if you can use Pitsanulok. That one is nearer.