Motorola Droid

TheAceFace

It will certainly be better than the iPhone. I currently use "HTC Magic" and I am very happy with it. I wish I could change to the latest Droid Phone.

I'll take your Magic if you don't want it. :D I understand it can be updated with the Hero user interface. :)

I've been flashing other android firmwares on my G1 - currently running the Hero version of Android. Looks like thexda developers forum will release the moto droid firmware 2 in the next day or two - cant wait :)

Hey how to do that.. Can i upgrade my Magic to the Hero UI? Is it easy? Any Good? or better?

I bought this phone in HK so I don't have support from here.

Please help.

I've been flashing other android firmwares on my G1 - currently running the Hero version of Android. Looks like thexda developers forum will release the moto droid firmware 2 in the next day or two - cant wait :)

Hey how to do that.. Can i upgrade my Magic to the Hero UI? Is it easy? Any Good? or better?

Please help.

Yes you can. A search on Google should point you in the right direction.

• 5 weeks later...

Please help.

Yes you can, and it's not too difficult to do. Google for XDA developer forums (as i can't post a forum link) and then navigate to the dream or magic sections - there will be a load of guides there. I'm currently flashing my phone with some of the new components of the rumored Google Nexus One phone :D

I went looking for Droids yesterday, and they don't seem to be available. Think I might as well just wait for the Google phone now. Picked up a book on Android development though - suprised to find it is some bastard mix of Java, doesn't conform to J2ME or (less suprisingly) J2SE and doesn't include Swing (got to be a good thing).

Just for shits n giggles, here's a video of my G1 booting the Droid operating system.

Isn't the boot time of 2.5 minutes a bit long? Perhaps in depends on how many applications you have installed on the phone.

--

Maestro

The "Droid" might be called "Motorola Milestone" like in the rest of the world.

I am interested too, but never seen it so far :-(

It can indeed get confusing when different names are used for the same phone model. The first mobile carrier to offer it, Verizon, calls it the Droid, the manufacturer calls it Motorola Milestone on their website. It’s like with G1 (carrier) and HTC Dream.

--

Maestro

... currently running the Hero version of Android. Looks like thexda developers forum will release the moto droid firmware 2 in the next day or two - cant wait :)

Is your “Hero version” firmware version 1.6?

--

Maestro

... I wish I could change to the latest Droid Phone.

Why not wait a month or two for the Nexus One? Thin. Big screen, bigger than the iPhone.

tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2009/12/18/exclusive-google-nexus-one-hands-on/

It doesn’t make it in time for Christmas but with all the hype in the press I think it will be out before Chinese New Year.

--

Maestro

the droid is a cdma phone - no sim card and useless in thailand, the milestone is a gsm phone.

i have a friend visiting next month. i'm still trying to decide whether to have him bring me a htc hero or milestone. leaning towards the hero as i like the ui and don't need the keyboard. the hero is about $170 cheaper too. but oh that screen on the milestone is gorgeous.

Just for shits n giggles, here's a video of my G1 booting the Droid operating system.

Isn't the boot time of 2.5 minutes a bit long? Perhaps in depends on how many applications you have installed on the phone.

--

Maestro

I think that was a first-boot. It takes a long time initially as it unpacks all the apps to SD, does some optimizing and refinements. It does not take that length of time on subsequent reboots.

... currently running the Hero version of Android. Looks like thexda developers forum will release the moto droid firmware 2 in the next day or two - cant wait :)

Is your “Hero version” firmware version 1.6?

--

Maestro

No, it was 2. There are images using 2.1 right now, but for some reason i can't boot them. I think i have to wipe my SD card and repartition it, but i'm not doing that just yet. I'll try with my class 4 SD card over the weekend maybe.

I'm currently on 2.0.1 - it's the quickest and most stable firmware i've used so far, but i do miss the SenseUI widgets found on Hero...

Edited by phazey

Thank you for the information, phazey. My HTC Dream with Android 1.6 does most everything I need and I think I am crazy to play with the idea of trying to load version 2.0 or higher on it, so I think I will just go with the flow and wait for whatever update Google will install automatically on it. I read about “rooting” the phone but it looks so scary that I won’t touch it. Apparently rooting would be needed to be able to run an application to make screen shots, the only function that I am missing on my phone. I wonder if version 2.0 has the screen shot function built in.

I guess there are no Android versions between 1.6 and 2.0. To make things a bit more confusing, nicknames apparently used internally at Google are also bandied about in Internet forums and blogs, so if my version 1.6 is Donut, 2.0 would be Eclair, I guess, and 2.1 Flan. Haven’t heard about the name of a sweet starting with “G” yet, and don’t know if there were ever any nicknames starting with A and B. 1.5 was Cupcake, but when I first got my phone I thought it had version 1.4 but I may be wrong. Nothing about 1.4 on the Internet, but this web page talks about an update to 1.5 “Cupcake” for users of the T-Mobile G1 phone.

--

Maestro

• 2 weeks later...

The Milestone was on sale at MBK for 28,900Baht.

Apparently sold out FAST, I was a day or two late. Apparently there is ONE still available at Winner Central Pinklao. I didnt have time to go have a look.

And can't really decide if I should wait for Nexus One...

The Milestone are available again end of Jan, when second batch arrives.

The Android Army is rising...