Motorola Droid

TheAceFace

The Milestone have a multi touch screen while the droid don't have a multi touch. I have no idea why it is so. Why disable a existing feature from a phone ?

Multitouch is in the software of the phone, so i don't see why an update official or unofficial will come along and solve that problem. Maybe try downloading "Betterbrowser" which has multitouch enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet that does seem to be the case was just listening to a podcast this week, maximumpc NO BS podcast, (which also covers all tech news) and they were discussing the very same thing. One of the guys mentioned that the zune also had a multitouch screen but MS were willing and had deep enough pockets to fight that battle should it arise, however few other firms were. (probably waiting to see what happens with M$)

• 3 months later...
Oops, so Droid is not the same as Milestone, just have the same manufacturer. My mistake.

--

Maestro

I think it's essentially the same, just that one is cdma and the other is gsm. Any other differences?

You can order the milestone online at http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=190234

You can see the differences between the Milestone and the Droid here: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomparer&a...werty_keyboard_

Has anyone bought a Milestone yet? If so, what do you think? It's the phone I'd buy now if I was looking to buy, (I haven't fully killed my old smartphone yet), but I might wait another generation so I can get it cheaper! :)

Also, for you Droid users, what GPS software does the Droid use? Are the Thailand maps any good?

I'm using Windows Mobile on my Asus P527, (I know, it's old, but it does everything I need right now), with the Garmin map software for my GPS. I really like the Garmin maps, but I don't think they've ported to Droid yet.

If so, I think I'd start looking for a way to flash my P527 to Droid, as I've not been too impressed with Windows Mobile.

[..]

Also, for you Droid users, what GPS software does the Droid use? Are the Thailand maps any good?

I'm using Windows Mobile on my Asus P527, (I know, it's old, but it does everything I need right now), with the Garmin map software for my GPS. I really like the Garmin maps, but I don't think they've ported to Droid yet.

If so, I think I'd start looking for a way to flash my P527 to Droid, as I've not been too impressed with Windows Mobile.

Android uses Google maps (unsurprisingly since Android is made by Google). The maps are good, also for Thailand, but they're purely 2d/satellite maps such as you know them from maps.google.com. They offer directions "in writing" but lack the "live" 3d directions offered by Garmin.

Edited by Phil Conners

Even though you've been able to get an imported overpriced Milestone Droid for quite some time now at MBK,

True Move are now launching the Milestone.

http://www.truemove.com/android/en/default.aspx

18,500 Baht but requires a subscription to True, just like the 3GS.

It's about bloody time! This phone is already considered an outdated model in the civilized world...

But at least we get 2.1

post-43057-1273297494_thumb.jpg

[..]

Android uses Google maps (unsurprisingly since Android is made by Google). The maps are good, also for Thailand, but they're purely 2d/satellite maps such as you know them from maps.google.com. They offer directions "in writing" but lack the "live" 3d directions offered by Garmin.

Android Central just posted that Garmin is going to bring a "GarminPhone" to market based on Android. Question is of course if the software will be legally available for other phones than their own.

Edited by Phil Conners