Where Can I Use A Fax Machine?

pigh123

Buddy's Internet on Thanon Huay Kaew, right across from Kad Suan Kaew. They speak very good English.

Buddy's aren't the cheapest to use for a fax. Cheaper to scan your document and email it.

Can't understand why people charge extortionate rates to send a fax, when phone call overseas calls are so cheap these days.

Cheers :)

I've had some problems in receiving faxes at Buddy. No problem in sending a fax, but receiving was a different story. Each time the fax machine would ring the Buddy worker would pick up the phone receiver on the fax and then hang it up, effectively disconnecting the call. Plus, they have one of those really old style fax machines that actually uses special fax paper on rolls. I haven't seen fax paper like that in the U.S. for about 15 years.

Admittedly, I was trying to receive a fax around midnight so I doubt Buddy's "A Team" was on duty. I went round-and-round with my US credit union over the phone about why can't they just scan and email the document to me? In the end, I paid a DHL charge to have a three page document sent here for a signature, which had to be notarized with the over-priced services at the American Consulate (but I'll save that rant for another thread!)

Unfortunately, Buddy's seems to be the only late-night fax service in my neighborhood and I have yet to be able to receive a fax using their service.

Hi Nancy, they have 2 fax machines at Buddy's. One is state of the art which stores the fax data in memory and then later prints them on standard 8 X 11 bond paper. The other one which I believe that they only use for sending - not 100% sure about that - does use the old fashioned paper. But I think they only use the old paper to supply you with the confirmation of faxes sent. Give them another try during the day. I've sent and received as many as 8 different faxes there and never had a problem.

I've had some problems in receiving faxes at Buddy. No problem in sending a fax, but receiving was a different story. Each time the fax machine would ring the Buddy worker would pick up the phone receiver on the fax and then hang it up, effectively disconnecting the call. Plus, they have one of those really old style fax machines that actually uses special fax paper on rolls. I haven't seen fax paper like that in the U.S. for about 15 years.

Admittedly, I was trying to receive a fax around midnight so I doubt Buddy's "A Team" was on duty. I went round-and-round with my US credit union over the phone about why can't they just scan and email the document to me? In the end, I paid a DHL charge to have a three page document sent here for a signature, which had to be notarized with the over-priced services at the American Consulate (but I'll save that rant for another thread!)

Unfortunately, Buddy's seems to be the only late-night fax service in my neighborhood and I have yet to be able to receive a fax using their service.

DHL and US Consulate charges can be high, if you have a telephone line you might buy your own fax machine for about the same cost or less.

which had to be notarized with the over-priced services at the American Consulate (but I'll save that rant for another thread!)

Three off original topic comments

1. I had a local bank manager notarized a signature for a U.S. banking transaction; no charge. I did include a letter of explanation explaining that Thai banks do not have a certification process for notaries but that the requirement to prove identity of the signatory was no less stringent. It was accepted and I got my funds.
  2. If you are faxing at night because of the time difference in the U.S., none of the institutions I have had to deal with turn their faxes off at night. So I have been able to fax at my convenience. If you were there to receive a fax, then that is a different issue.
  3. As Bill97 recommended, having my own fax machine at home has been a god send for me. Besides dealing with the U.S., I get faxes from Thais around the country that do not have comuters and want me to look at something. I think a personal fax machine is worth its weight in gold!

Edited by noise

I was receiving a fax from my someone at my U.S. credit union, so with the time difference it had to be at night. It contained information that I didn't want sitting around someplace. I wanted to be there when the fax arrived. We receive/send so few faxes that I really can't see investing in a fax machine. Most everyone else we deal with is able to scan and email documents.

The U.S. notary requirement was a big pain; they insisted that it be a notary licensed in the U.S, so I had to make an appointment to visit Fortress America-on-the-Ping and fork over the big baht for a notary signature.

I think in the future, I'll visit Buddy during the day when I know I'm going to receive a fax at night and get the straight scoop on incoming faxes from a member of their "A team".

When you really need one, a personal fax machine at home can be worth it's weight in gold. It doesn't cost much, is handy to have around and just having it gives peace of mind.

For those who still don't want one, there are alternatives. Do a google search on "free web fax" and you'll find a myriad of services that give you a fax number you can give out to your contacts who can send faxes to that number. You'll almost immediately receive that fax as an email attachment that you can view on your screen or print out. These services also allow you to send scanned documents as faxes through your computer.

Note: none of the services are actually free, but in many cases, the costs are low. Some services are pay-as-you-use but do require a US$10 deposit when you open an account. There are services suitable for heavy users and occasional users.

I use a HK-based web fax service that allows my contacts in HK to conveniently send faxes to me for free (free to them—the service costs me about ฿2k/year). I began using this service in 2002 and it hasn't failed me yet.