Second Hand Book Shop

lincdales

I know we have Geco books in Chiang Mai. It's a bit of a bind to travel the 200 or so km but I get a good stock in. However, we are going to Bangkok next week and wonder if anyone knows if there are any similar second hand book shops in the area where I can get novels in English.

BKK is wealthy for used books {English}. Used bookshops of every description as well as independent types and chain booksellers. The larger open marketplaces are verdant with foreign reading material. It would be your best bet to google a few keyword searches......you'll find what your looking for. :)

BKK is wealthy for used books {English}. Used bookshops of every description as well as independent types and chain booksellers. The larger open marketplaces are verdant with foreign reading material. It would be your best bet to google a few keyword searches......you'll find what your looking for. :D

I recently sold a number of Burroughs to Dasa, including a few 1sts. Just thought I mention it bearing in mind your avatar. :)

Khao San tends to be really overpriced for 2nd hand books yet you can find some really interesting topics in some of the shops and speaking Thai often brings the prices down a bit , even though most are adamant about the 'fixed' price labels on each book.

Chatujak has a good but disorganized book section tucked away in the back near the MRT station.

Forget going to backpacker hel_l for your books. I you walk heading away from Asok BTS along Sukhumvit Rd towards Emporium, You'll see a few flower street vendors then just past them and Subway You'll see an excellent little bookshop that buys your old ones off you too.

Khao San Road is easily your best bet due to the large number of shops, some with very good selection, in a very small area so that you can easily walk between them. Other stores are scattered across the city and you will have to endure taxis and traffic to travel from shop to shop if you can't find what you need.

Also if you don't mind new books, Kinokuniya book store in Siam Paragon is enormous and has an amazing selection of books.

Chata Chak market has a wide range of se3cond hand books available at the tigh left corner end

I have always found Chato Chak to almost useless - a lot of cheap junk and a few good books that are just as expensive as in an aircon shop. Why go all the way out there?

Forget going to backpacker hel_l for your books. I you walk heading away from Asok BTS along Sukhumvit Rd towards Emporium, You'll see a few flower street vendors then just past them and Subway You'll see an excellent little bookshop that buys your old ones off you too.

There's one near Soi 33, a bit past it heading easterly, then another on the other side of the road near Emporium.

There's one near Soi 33, a bit past it heading easterly, then another on the other side of the road near Emporium.

That would be Elite just past Villa Market and the Subway, Dasa is accross Sukhumvit past Emporium. Both are very good in their own way.

TH

I went to Khao San Rd yesterday. It is indeed a mixture of heaven and hel_l. Night time is ok.....ish.

There are a few bookshops on Khao San road itself. One is really terrible. One or two are good. One of the good ones is in a covered walkway heading off Khao San rd to the right ( if you are heading towards the temple opposite one end of K S rd ). There are also two or three in the sois surrounding the temple. Go to the temple end of KS rd, cross the road and turn right. Walk about 50 meters, then turn left into the soi.

It's obviously a backpacker soi. There is at least one quite good bookshop there. Could be two....can't remember. Another is ........go to the end of that soi, turn left. then follow that to the end and turn left again ( basically you are following the temple wall). About half-way down that soi, on the right-hand side you will see a bookshop about 2 doors up another soi on your right. It's facing you. However it's hours are unpredictable. It is run by a very nice lady.

If you go that far, you don't have to retrace your steps. Continue to the end of the soi you were previously walking down ( not the soi the bookshop is 2 doors up), go past the boxing ring on your right. and then up the stairs at the end of the soi, where it is a dead-end. This brings you out into the top floor of a restaurant, which is used as a thoroughfare. Go down the internal stairs and out........however it is air-con and does have excellent papaya shakes. Haha

I found a couple of good books in the secondhand section of Chatuchak but they were top dollar.

Edited by Latindancer

Not yet mentioned; the large used book shop on the 4th floor of AMARIN PLAZA, accessible from the Sky train walkway going from Chid Lom BTS towards Central World, left side. There is a big sign on the front of the building.

I can't remember the store name but the selection of books is large and varied. They frequently have a B100/kilo promotion.

One major annoyance is that nothing is arranged alphabetically by either title or author.

das and Elite goo esp for Asia stuff

There used to very very small place behing emporium soi 24?

C mai as well as Gecko 1 there are several others within Tapae gate area and Thanon Thapae

C Rai Another good find tucked behind Wat Jed Yod in dead end garden is Orns where v knoledeable Peter does good swops

C Khong Surprisingy good selection travela nd novels as so many travellers and in mid town Toms Lizard Lounge has a stack of eeasy reading and travels stuff its o main street opp Riverside resort

Had Yai Parkson

Not yet mentioned; the large used book shop on the 4th floor of AMARIN PLAZA, accessible from the Sky train walkway going from Chid Lom BTS towards Central World, left side. There is a big sign on the front of the building.

I can't remember the store name but the selection of books is large and varied. They frequently have a B100/kilo promotion.

One major annoyance is that nothing is arranged alphabetically by either title or author.

I went there on Monday morning but unfortunately they are not a second hand bookshop however they do sell old books.

No sign of a promotion though.