Thai Police Extorting My Neighbor

Serpico

I was told there is a lawyer who prosecutes corrupt police and she is spreading fear quickly among the bad eggs. She is very good devoted apparently. Best try to gather some evidence though if you are determent to help your neighbor.

If I get more info on the lawyer I will send it your way.

First of all, you will require rock solid evidence that this is truly happening, and then as to why this is happening. If your friend is in the wrong then he may find the egg on his face and get himself in to some serious trouble.

If your friend has done nothing wrong to inititate this corruption then he will have to approach a Police Commander who is working out of this Policeman's Province and make a formal complaint. It wouldn't do him any harm to also get in touch with a lawyer, again based out of this Policeman's reach.

In my opinion, one can not and does not get rich in Thailand with out some "degree" of coruption. So your friend probably does have some "history" on his hands that he would care not to have exposed.\

So even IF he is in the right in the particular situation, he may win the battle, but he will lose the war.

I'd steer clear.

Edited by Dakhar

leave it to your neighbour.

if he asked you for advice, tell him to record all conversations and on camera. Write down notes serial numbers and even mark them. At the same time go to the authorities.

but I do suspect, that your neighbour was couth red handed on some large deal and now payes back, instead of getting sentenced for 5-10 years

This Mercedes driving Policeman owns a 12 million bt condo in our building.

He refuses to pay the maintenance fees. His overdue bill is 300,000 bt.

He refused to respond to registered mail and a legal notice so we shut off his water supply.

Now he is attempting to extort a another resident to pay off his unpaid balance.

He being abusive and threatening to the building staff too.

We checked him out and discovered he owes another acquaintance 8 million bt.

Your neighbor should handle this Thai style: avoid direct confrontation with the rogue cop. Go on vacation for a week or two (if possible) with no forwarding address. Or empty his bank account & then show the cop that he would love to help, but has no money. Or tell him that he can loan the money, but he has to wait 2 weeks & then keep dragging it out. Etc.. etc...

He refused to respond to registered mail and a legal notice so we shut off his water supply.

Now he is attempting to extort a another resident to pay off his unpaid balance.

I would of thought the phad thai guy would of known exactly what to do about this. :)

Me and my friends lives in Thailand are so boring compared to yours Serpico...

We should have a busmans holiday so i can see all these rogue things in Thailand first hand...because even after 10 years here its only ever vicariously through you and TV that i get to read about all this stuff.

I'm sure it happens and i don't doubt anything you post or say :) however little me just living here with a normal Thai lass not involved in big business, building houses in the sticks etc never ever come across the problems and situations you do...

How do you do it?

Police head quarters in Bangkok has anti corruption unit, but it is far from ideal, however if you have firm evidence approach them and if you are foreigner go to tourist police tend to be able to deal with regular police and their extortive behavior, much better than the any other agency.

Extortion is common practice there and is nothing new, it is fact of life and one has to live with it. Only if it is left unchecked with serve to increase the appetite of the reprobate. If you got in deep sh.......... message me.

I was told there is a lawyer who prosecutes corrupt police and she is spreading fear quickly among the bad eggs. She is very good devoted apparently. Best try to gather some evidence though if you are determent to help your neighbor.

If I get more info on the lawyer I will send it your way.

The lawyer route is best, if you can get evidence. Written evidence would be best, with video as support. Please let all of us know this lawyer's contact info, as it's good to know that someone is willing to go up against them.

We should have a busmans holiday so i can see all these rogue things in Thailand first hand...because even after 10 years here its only ever vicariously through you and TV that i get to read about all this stuff.

I'm sure it happens and i don't doubt anything you post or say :) however little me just living here with a normal Thai lass not involved in big business, building houses in the sticks etc never ever come across the problems and situations you do...

How do you do it?

You answered your own question there by stating you don't do anything of significance here in Thailand. Sitting around in shorts and a tank wearing flipflops drinking beer all day every day isn't going to involve you in Thailand in any way that you will be exposed to much at all.

You answered your own question there by stating you don't do anything of significance here in Thailand. Sitting around in shorts and a tank wearing flipflops drinking beer all day every day isn't going to involve you in Thailand in any way that you will be exposed to much at all.

:) You got the shorts and flip flops right but not beer or wife beater top...

Thats it then.... happy life in Thailand..... shorts and flip flops.... and nothing significant.... peace on Earth bro!

Best piece of advice i have ever seen on TV...thanks...

keep out of anything significant in Thailand and do not expose yourself :D

How do you do it?

And if people are happy doing that then why ridicule them?

This was reported earlier in 2007 as the number to call for crime and corruption. Try reporting it here, but the website is mostly in Thai:

People can call hotline 1194, phone 02-251-2981, send a letter to PO Box 1234 Rong Muang, Bangkok 10000

edited: Website removed: Don't use Website!!! it attempts to change your security settings.

Edited by Mrjlh

Mmmm yeah one of my (Thai) secretaries rented a house to a policeman for a couple of years and he never paid any rent ever. It also kind of half burnt down when he left and she had to rebuild it. She couldnt do anything about any of it as he was well connected although of low rank and she wasnt and wanted a long healthy life with no worry as she told me.

I wouldnt advise getting involved in these situations unless you have to.

This was reported earlier in 2007 as the number to call for crime and corruption. Try reporting it here, but the website is mostly in Thai:

People can call hotline 1194, phone 02-251-2981, send a letter to PO Box 1234 Rong Muang, Bangkok 10000

edited: Website removed: Don't use Website!!! it attempts to change your security settings.

Farang: Hello I would like to report an incident of police corruption under the most serious of circumstances.

Thai hotline operator: Alai na?

Farang: Yes can I get someone on the line that can speak english?

operator: Englit? No have. *giggling in background and snack smacking noises as operators chat with each other*

Farang: Please can I speak to someone a manager or anyone?

operator's supervisor: hallo?

Farang: Yes um i'd like to report an incident would you plea-.....

operator's supervisor: no, no. No have. *click*

Edited by wintermute

Farang: Hello I would like to report an incident of police corruption under the most serious of circumstances.

Thai hotline operator: Alai na?

Farang: Yes can I get someone on the line that can speak english?

operator: Englit? No have. *giggling in background and snack smacking noises as operators chat with each other*

Farang: Please can I speak to someone a manager or anyone?

operator's supervisor: hallo?

Farang: Yes um i'd like to report an incident would you plea-.....

operator's supervisor: no, no. No have. *click*

You almost got it right! The phone number is a FAX machine! And no one answers 1194. So you couldn't possibly even have a conversation.

Strike a blow to Thai government. Can't call anyone...

Edited by Mrjlh

And if people are happy doing that then why ridicule them?

I was going to ignore the barb thrown at me but a few posters have jumped on it so..

Sabum smart @rse care to indulge me in what you do here to have such a significant life, I'm waiting and can't wait to find out :)

"This Mercedes driving Policeman owns a 12 million bt condo in our building.

We checked him out and discovered he owes another acquaintance 8 million bt."

I bet he refuses to say "please" and "thank you", and he spits on the sidewalk too. What is your point? The building has both a management company and a juristic person, and it is up to them to handle the situation.

I would of thought the phad thai guy would of known exactly what to do about this. :)

Now you really have upset me nd :D

As I read the OP, the first thing that came into my mind - call PTG!

And then I got to your post :D

Serpico - there are things you can do - having good evidence is a start (covert IP video camera and audio will go a long way) - but how about sharing some background info - how does this situation come about, what has he got you on that he thinks is worth Baht300K?

Why does he need anything on anybody ? Maybe he is demanding 300k because he can. He arrests someone for *insert crime and who does the courts believe ? I would imagine guilt or innocence does not even enter into it.

I have asked this question before and never got a response.What stops the police here totally running amok ?

Edited by parryhandy

Why does he need anything on anybody ? Maybe he is demanding 300k because he can. He arrests someone for *insert crime and who does the courts believe ? I would imagine guilt or innocence does not even enter into it.

I have asked this question before and never got a response.What stops the police here totally running amok ?

The army I would assume. They both have their rackets to protect.