Songkran In The Uk

slippery when wet

I'm living in the midlands, near Birmingham and was wondering if anyone knows of any Songkran Festivities taking place over the next wek or so.

Thanks ....................Slippery :o

Probably Wimbledon,but on August bank holiday at Secretts Farm, near Reading ( I think) there is always a big Thai gathering. They have Songkran on the Saturday,Thai dancing and other shows Sunday, then Loy Krathong on the Monday. You can get draught Chang thereas well. :D

There is one every year in Birmingham city center by sealife its organised by the temple in aston, it gets realy busy but the only problem is its to cold to throw water!!!

I would warn you that the police there may say something if you do the same as they do here - 4 on a motorbike waving a bottle of saeng som without any helmets. Try throwing a bucket of water over a passing motorcyclist and you may get your head to play with!

There is one every year in Birmingham city center by sealife its organised by the temple in aston, it gets realy busy but the only problem is its to cold to throw water!!!

If you think Songkran is about throwing water you have missed the point.

It is a time for paying respect to the elders of your family and to the monks

at the temple, by pouring a little scented water over their hand and feet.

The crazy behaviour that passes for Songktan these days is a sham!!

The crazy behaviour that passes for Songktan these days is a sham!!

Totally agree, and it seems to get worse every year.

It reminds me of what is happening to Xmas in the West.

Unlike Scottish NY and Hogmany which used to last 2 weeks where I came from. Things were boring there the last time I went back.

Wimbledon is the best place - a great day there today.

I detect there are some spoil sports out there who would like to 'dampen down' (forgive the pun) the Songkran celebrations. As with all holidays you do get some that go well over the top but in the main the water thowing and parades are great fun, and for the most part, a happy and safe time is had by the vast majority. Shame some have to down too much of the liquids harder to take than the water - just makes everyone misserable and adds to the toll on the road death statistics.

If you are luky enough to be in Thailand - head for ChaingMai where the welcome and cellabrations go on for longer and with more agusto.

Thanks for all of your replies--anything next weekend as I'm working all this weekend. I fear that I might have missed the opportunity to celebrate songkran  this year.

Slippery..................

There is a Songkran festival at the Buddhavira Temple in Aston Birmingham.

Starts at 09.00 and goes on until 16.00

They usually hold the celebration in the city centre so it might be crowded as it attracts Thais from all over the country.

http://www.watthaiuk.com/Eng/index1.htm