Thai Driving Licence

rabcbroon

I need to apply for Thai driving licence. I currently have full British and international licence. What exactly do i need to produce to obtain the Thai licence.

From Thais i have spoke with i understand ithe actual is as 'easy as peeling a bannana'. And laughable if it wasn't such a serious thing!

Did it last week at the Rayong Office.

Took :-

Letter from Immigration confirming i/d and address (If you're thinking of buying a car and getting it registered in your name, get 2 copies of the letter)

Medical certificate (cost 100 baht)

Passport (+ signed copy)

UK Photo-licence (+ signed copy) They weren't interested in the paper part. They didn't require a translation, probably because they see a lot of UK licences at that office.

International Licence. (+ copy) I think they looked at it, but didn't seem too interested.

The application form was a bit different from the one I found on a website somewhere. It was all in Thai, completed by the memsahib - NB, take a pen.

Then, handed it in, sat around for a while, did the coloured dots test, the peripheral vision test, reaction test, distance perception test.

Sat around some more, then went to a little booth where photo was taken, fee paid (205 baht), then sat for bl00dy ages as the printer/laminator machine broke down, so I just had to watch helpless while Somchai peered at the little winking lights, pressed all the buttons, dusted it, took bits off and put them back in, and repeated same ad nauseam, ignoring my suggestion that he send it through to the printer in the other booth, which was empty as his colleague had gone for lunch. Eventually a gaggle of his colleagues turned up and ushered me into the other booth, where I was finally presented with a shiny new card.

Looking forward to getting into Nongnooch Gardens at the Thai price (well, there's no harm in hoping).

It's a drivers license it's not a serious thing ...... I have read that you just show up and they trade yours for new Thai one .... make sure you renew BEFORE it expires

You know nothing

You are correct, I just read that on on another post ..... I don't have a DL

And that confirms it.

How could i have immigration confirm my address? I don't have any bills or documents with my address on. My wife and childs names are on the house book - and all utilitys are in her name.

They don't actually confirm your address. They merely write down what you tell them.

How could i have immigration confirm my address? I don't have any bills or documents with my address on. My wife and childs names are on the house book - and all utilitys are in her name.

They don't actually confirm your address. They merely write down what you tell them.

Not so. Immigration will require a copy of your lease to issue a letter. On the other hand your local consulate will write down what you tell them to.

The difference is 500 baht for immigration, and 2000 baht plus from your consulate :)

Syntax

Edited by Maejo Man

Although all are trying to help with your question, as per visa's each lic. examiner office is different.

The basic's needed;

Home lic.;(or international)

health cert.

immg. paper stating address;

Passport page with type of visa

All very simple and easy just do not listen to too many bansiters.

Not so. Immigration will require a copy of your lease to issue a letter. On the other hand your local consulate will write down what you tell them to.

The difference is 500 baht for immigration, and 2000 baht plus from your consulate :)

Syntax

And if of course, you have a work permit, you dont need to d*ck with embassies/immigration etc getting confirmation of your adress....you just need your WP + P/P + medical cert for first license..

Syntax

Jebus, 500baht at immi now for a residence cert, fookin more than doubled within in 12 months, thieving coonts.

The above info is erroneous or you're going to the wrong immigration office, (but as I see you list yourself as being in Chiang Mai, maybe prices in that neck of the woods are different than Bangkok :D ).

At Bangkok Immigrations (formerly Soi Suan Plu now Changwattana); the letter to confirm a residence in thailand is FREE, but there is a mandatory 100 baht EMS fee because they mail the letter to you about a week later.

I've taken 20-30 people to get that letter at Suan Plu but haven't gone to Changwattana yet as I usually take groups of people who need the letter. Most of them didn't have anything with their address on it. Some only had their address written down in thai by their apartment complex, and few if any had a valid bill, copy of their lease, or even a business card from their residence. Immigrations will use what ever address you provide, they are fairly flexible on this, and some have gotten the letter using the address of the hotel they were staying at.

I also don't know what Embassy you use (or where ever your 'home' country is) but just called the American Citizen's Services at the US Embassy here in Bangkok and the letter for residence to secure a thai driver's license is 1020 baht, like it's been for over a year now.

Anyway, I've attached the "universal" form of the document you fill out at Thai Immigrations to get the address verification letter. Good luck...

Application_for_Residence_Certificate.doc

You will need whatever the local person in charge of issuing the licence tells you that you need. I would bring the following:

Passport, with copies of front page, page showing current entry stamp, and page showing one year visa stamp.

Current driver's licence, with copy.

Medical certificate. Go to any hospital or clinic and tell them you need it for a licence, they'll know what to do.

Letter from immigration or embassy / consulate stating your address. The cost will vary depending on embassy / immigration office. Ones issued by immigration are actually free, but the issuer may ask for a "tip" for doing it. I'm surprised, or maybe not, to hear that some offices are setting a fee for this. If you do it at your embassy then they will write down whatever address you tell them to. If you do it at an immigration office then you'll either need your wife's tabien bahn, or some other proof of address if not married or not living at your wife's registered address.

No doubt there will be posts saying "I didn't need this or that", but try telling that to the officious little guy at your local motor vehicle department when he asks for them.

tod-daniels,

You posted for download the Application for Residence Certificate which one can take to his local immo.

Application_for_Residence_Certificate.doc

As it's a Word document, I lost all the Thai fonts in there. Any chance of posting it as a pdf?

Tks in ancitipation.

I was given this list of required documents at the Phuket driver licence place on Wednesday last week:

here it is, word for word:

Thai Driver Licence

1. Passport with non-immigrant visa and tourist visa (original) before visa expires, and a photocopy

2. Present residential address certify from embassy or work permit or immigration office (original) and photocopy

3. doctor report or doctor treatment (not over 1 month)

4. International Driver Licence original and photocopy, or driver licence translated in English from your embassy (convention or international road traffic of 19 September 1968, 1949).

The doctor report cost me 200, have heard of people paying 100 but I don't care! Immigration issued the res address form when i presented the req'd docs, needed one to do change of ownership on bike I've bought also, got 2 for 300.

Today (Monday)

Arrived at 8am and was 3rd in queue when staff opened information counter at 8.30am.

Checked my documents, originals and photocopies, then wait upstairs for colour-blindness test and another person flicked through the documents, downstairs wait less than 10min, my number called and paid fee at counter - 160 for car and motorcycle, then have photos taken (asked to smile!), 220 fee and under 5min till am given two new licences for one year.

9.30 was in central Phuket Town for coffee, so under 50min for the whole process - far better than expected.

People without International Drivers Licence had to wait till 10.30 to watch a video then later do some sort of practical test, unsure what this entails.

Never realised the Int'l Licence had any value but certainly a timesaver for getting Thai licence.

NOTE: as i was applying for car and motorcycle licences I had two copies of my documents, they issue two separate licences.

Edited by genghis61

And if of course, you have a work permit, you dont need to d*ck with embassies/immigration etc getting confirmation of your adress....you just need your WP + P/P + medical cert for first license..

This is true. i just. got my 5 year license last week (which is actually good for 5 years 11 months since it expires on your birthday,.) If you have a WP this is used in place of your proof of address since it already has your address on it so no need to go to immigration.

1. copies of passport (front page), current visa, and extension

2.health certificate

3. copy of work permit and current stamp

4. old license

My DL from the states expired, so i had to take the test to get my 1 year temporary. The paperwork that i submitted the first time was the same as above except I included a copy of my work contract as well.

Can anyone advise please.

I am wanting a Thai Drivers Licence for a Car.

I have just received my new style UK Full Licence in the post and shall be applying for my International Licence shortly as I believe this is also needed.

In a few Months I will be changing from a Non Immigrant Visa to a Student Visa.

Will the Student Visa be OK ?? If not, there is no need in applying, I will be wasting my time.

Any advise greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance - Pattaya_girl.

You don't necessarily need the International Driving Permit, as basically it's just an English translation of whatever language your original licence is in. It that original licence language is already English, ....

I simply showed my Canadian driver's licence (English) along with passport, visa, embassy confirmation of address and signed photocopies of everything. Did the colour dots test, reaction test, waited around for a while, had my pic taken and out popped my one year motorbike licence.

Could just be the helpful staff in Rayong, but it just took a bit of time. Didn't even bother that my Canuck licence was for a car and I was getting a motorbike licence here. Didn't notice? didn't care? didn't want to try explaining to me? didn't want to try putting me through some mangled-language testing procedure? No idea, but it was really very simple.

Thanks for your info.

It was not simple for me when I went a few weeks ago.

They would not accept my 'old style' Full, Clean UK Drivers Licence, The lady at banglamung (Pattaya) told me that it is English writing and they do not understand or recognise it. I have now got the new ID card style.

I want to know if a Student Visa will be OK to apply, as it does say that a Non Immigrant Visa is required.

If a Student Visa is not good enough then I have to leave it, as my Non immigrant Visa runs out in a few Months, and I will be studying for 4 Years with a Student Visa, I will not be able to Re-new it after the 12 Months.

What a palarva !!!!!!

For those of you who have actually gone through it, after your first 1 year license, could you then get the 5 year version the second time around?

Yeap....but dont forget to let your 1 year expire before applying for the 5 year ortherwise my give you another 1 Year...strange but true... :)

The above info is erroneous or you're going to the wrong immigration office, (but as I see you list yourself as being in Chiang Mai, maybe prices in that neck of the woods are different than Bangkok :D ).

Chiangmai always used to issue them for free, then there was a period when they stopped issuing them altogether unless you you had a work permit. It's only in the last year they have started reissuing them at a cost of 500 baht.

The British consul in Chiangmai charges in excess of 2000 baht for a similar letter. I suppose it pays to be a yank sometimes :D