Why So Many Angry People In Pattaya?

whichschool

I went out at about 23.30 last night and walked from my hotel to the Mcdonalds on the edge of Walking Street which is about 600 metres away, anyway in this time i saw an oldish guy I presumed to be English getting arrested at one of the bars near the top of soi 14, some deranged fat Arab about 50 walking back and forth angrily shouting to himself just passed this bar, then i got to Mcdonalds and it had that awful atmosphere you get in similar fastfood restaurants back in the UK at the weekend where it could kick off anytime which a multitude of paralytic tourists one imperticular overly staring whilst i ate.

Walking back was slightly less eventful with some Thai guy cursing at me when i hesitated crossing the road making him slow down on his bike an getting stopped by some pssssed out his head Brit who was dancing in a robe outside the same bar as the guy who got arrested. The area as a whole has a nasty atmosphere for someone who hasnt had a drink and just wishes to go one their business.

Ive been here a week and not many seem to have basic manners, ie saying please/thankyou or the Thai equivilant, Brits dont seem to open doors or let people by whilst walking on cramped streets as they would back home or acknowledge you when you do so, and whilst there are a higher percentge of guys 50 plus here they seem to be the most aggressive and less mannered.

Anyway thats my rant over but if youre one of these people and have a bit of self awareness, please chill out and start using the manners you were taught as kids.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's funny because I was on Walking Street at exactly the same time, having also been to McDonalds at the top (classy booze food) before meeting some friends, and I saw a lot of unpleasantness.

It was packed, gangs of walkers, gawkers and some extremely drunk people down there. In fact the atmosphere was such that it is one of the few times I have wondered what I would do if I was attacked, as there is nobody around to help you unless it happens within sight of the TPA campervan.

What I disliked most were:

1. Hordes of Indian tourists hussling fat "unaccompanied" ladies into going to their rooms for rather numerically outnumbered physical activities at bin end prices (nice to see the City has got what it wanted with new (poorer) tourists making up for the unwelcome and departed longstayers).

2. SERIOUSLY drunken, oafish Russians so drunk they could hardly stand up, stumbling around in the middle of Walking Street, and when some passer by brushed against one meathead he suddenly squared up, raging, and attacked the arab tourist until his less drunk friends pulled him away, screaming in Russian at the top of his voice.

There is no way the TPA can possible be sufficient for the threat of violence and lawlessness down there in high season. The Thai police need to pull their fingers out and adopt a more professional and visible policing approach. It really needs it, and this isn't knocking the TPA.

I usually give Walking Street a miss in December and I will certainly be doing the same this year.

Edited by sharecropper

It was packed, gangs of walkers, gawkers and some extremely drunk people down there. In fact the atmosphere was such that it is one of the few times I have wondered what I would do if I was attacked.

Im 30 athletically built and am here doing a little boxing training so i am in far better shape then most should somoene intimidate me to the point i thought i needed to attack first, but its more of a case that Pattaya is probably more intimidating then any British city on a weekend and that takes some doing (i havent gone into a British town or city drinking on a weekend for years now, again for the threat of violence), and i dont want to be in a position to have to fight.

I dont find the groups of Indian men often seen with one girl as threatening as the many Arabs that are walking in groups they IMO seem to have more of a chip on their shoulder, but its hard to say one race is truly worse then the other ... but if its Farang being <deleted> theyre generally alone so it isnt as intimdating as groups of middle east/ Indian folk.

And i wholly agree with you i think this high season will see more trouble then ever before ... i gladly wont be here to witness it.

Edited by whichschool

Yes Pattaya now - haven forsaken the good spending Brits etc. - have a mix of: teetotal scowling Arabs speeding around on big bikes; Russians buying their booze from 7/11 and drinking on the street; cheap skate Indians haggling over everything - including the price of a haircut and how many of them can molest a girl for a few baht.

I know the Brits can be (are) a bit loutish - but at least they spend a few quid.

Edited by rabcbroon

Is this a thread where we get to apply derogatory labels in front of certain nationalities? Oh goodie...

Let's re-cap, so far we have

-SERIOUSLY drunken, oafish Russians

-scowling Arabs

-cheap skate Indians

What about arrogant, drunk, sex crazed and cheap charlie Brits? What about super ugly and super stupid farang who'd believe the first bar girl he pays when she says "I luv big hansum farang like you" and then believes a pretty young thing can actually prefer a sad, lonely, old, obese and bald Brit over a virile, rich and handsome Arab stud.

I hope they don't close this thread, it's so fun to belittle other nationalities.

Is this a thread where we get to apply derogatory labels in front of certain nationalities? Oh goodie...

-scowling Arabs

-cheap skate Indians

What about arrogant, drunk, sex crazed and cheap charlie Brits? What about super ugly and super stupid farang who'd believe the first bar girl he pays when she says "I luv big hansum farang like you" and then believes a pretty young thing can actually prefer a sad, lonely, old, obese and bald Brit over a virile, rich and handsome Arab stud.

I hope they don't close this thread, it's so fun to belittle other nationalities.

Rich handsome Arab stud :D have you come across many :)

-scowling Arabs

-cheap skate Indians

Is this a thread where we get to apply derogatory labels in front of certain nationalities?

Well, it's certainly starting to look like it, so knock yourself out. Oh, you have.

I saw "SERIOUSLY drunken, oafish Russians". If they had been Aussie morons or British lowlives, then that is what I would have descibed them as.

-scowling Arabs

-cheap skate Indians

Is this a thread where we get to apply derogatory labels in front of certain nationalities?

Well, it's certainly starting to look like it, so knock yourself out. Oh, you have.

I saw "SERIOUSLY drunken, oafish Russians". If they had been Aussie morons or British lowlives, then that is what I would have descibed them as.

Didn't see any handsome Arab stallions then? Or Indians spending loads of cash in bars and restaurants - not selling curry?

-scowling Arabs

-cheap skate Indians

Didn't see any handsome Arab stallions then? Or Indians spending loads of cash in bars and restaurants - not selling curry?

I will check out the numbers of "Arab stallions" tonight for you, as you have now breathlessly mentioned them twice.

Definitely not seen gangs of Indian males in the latter category though.

I am a Brit here and the reason I no longer hold doors open is cause I am pissed off by the ignorance of most of the other Farangs who just barge by you and scowl when you do try and be polite. Yes those ignoramuses include Arabs, Russians and Indians as well as all other nationalities.

I am a Brit here and the reason I no longer hold doors open is cause I am pissed off by the ignorance of most of the other Farangs who just barge by you and scowl when you do try and be polite. Yes those ignoramuses include Arabs, Russians and Indians as well as all other nationalities.

Hi Bro :)

Hi Bro :)

Hi back at you

To be fair, though, this also includes a lot of Brits and other Europeans too.

It seems the custom of acknowledgement of a polite deed is dying out in UK too. Has been for a while.

That doesnt mean we all have to lead our lives to the level of the lowest common denominator :)

Penkoprod

There is no way the TPA can possible be sufficient for the threat of violence and lawlessness down there in high season. The Thai police need to pull their fingers out and adopt a more professional and visible policing approach. It really needs it, and this isn't knocking the TPA.

I agree with you. I have been pushing for more Police Officers to be on duty on Walking Street every night, howveer there is simply not the manpower to do this. We are now starting to deal with more and more incidents involving violence and this is set to continue over the high season. We are prepared to an extent, but work under strict rules of engagement and can only go so far (in the presence of a Thai Police Officer of course!).

The OP is right, there is more anger out there on the streets this year from the tourists and the Thai's. Guess it has been a hard year for people, financially. Without sounding racist in any way, the Indian Tourists are causing a lot of problems as well. I guess we should call it a clash of culture and a misunderstanding of local cultures and traiditions.

What must be a stroke of pure brilliance is how the Thai tourist people seem to have managed to find a way to encourage all these angry drunken foreign tourists into just the one little town in the one province of 76, if we can accept that Bangkok is a major big city of the World and bound to attract the dregs along with the rest of us, but how clever have they been to focus the restg of the multitudes into one little place outside Bangkok, leaving the rest of the Kingdom largely untainted?

Brilliant!

-scowling Arabs

-cheap skate Indians

I am British and noted 2 men who i presumed were Brits acting like fools, and some of the stereoptypes written do apply.

Edited by whichschool

I agree with you. I have been pushing for more Police Officers to be on duty on Walking Street every night, howveer there is simply not the manpower to do this. We are now starting to deal with more and more incidents involving violence and this is set to continue over the high season. We are prepared to an extent, but work under strict rules of engagement and can only go so far (in the presence of a Thai Police Officer of course!).

There isnt really anything the police could do to prevent violent incidents and people being generally more aggressive, they can only react to situation once theyve occured, unless they were to have police crawling all over the place which would show that for such vast numbers of police to be needed that the town really isnt safe.

I would say that Soi Buckow which on the whole seems to have been colonised by Brits, that the atmosphere here is far better then most tourist places in Pattaya and a lot less agressive, but basic manners throughout the town are almost non existant.

The OP is right, there is more anger out there on the streets this year from the tourists and the Thai's. Guess it has been a hard year for people, financially. Without sounding racist in any way, the Indian Tourists are causing a lot of problems as well. I guess we should call it a clash of culture and a misunderstanding of local cultures and traiditions.

Veyr interesting. Thanks Howard.

Do you keep arrest/intervention figures on Walking Street? If so, (or even off the top of your head) broadly how do the offences/incidents break down, say over the past month?

<snip>

(nice to see the City has got what it wanted with new (poorer) tourists making up for the unwelcome and departed longstayers).

<snip>

Out of curiosity, where have the longstayers gone to? A different city, or to a different area within Pattaya?

This cadet first arrived in '72 but has since moved on to Koh Samui, Pattaya being such a nice place to bring up a family ! We used to have a place corner of Soi 3 next to Wee Andy's and one day spotted the Arab guests over the road at Cherry Hotel, having a masturbating contest in the Swimming pool. As I expressed my disgust, the Thai staff reasoned " Don't worry, the pool has chlorine in it " The mind boggles....

<snip>

(nice to see the City has got what it wanted with new (poorer) tourists making up for the unwelcome and departed longstayers).

<snip>

Out of curiosity, where have the longstayers gone to? A different city, or to a different area within Pattaya?

This cadet first arrived in '72 but has since moved on to Koh Samui, Pattaya being such a nice place to bring up a family ! We used to have a place corner of Soi 3 next to Wee Andy's and one day spotted the Arab guests over the road at Cherry Hotel, having a masturbating contest in the Swimming pool. As I expressed my disgust, the Thai staff reasoned " Don't worry, the pool has chlorine in it " The mind boggles....

Superb story. That has to down as a Pattaya Classic!

<snip>

<snip>

maybe it was one of those arab stallions that doggie8888 has come over :)