No Cemeteries?

fxm87

I just noticed that Pattaya doesn't seem to have many (any?) Christian/Farang cemeteries!? Where do the farangs go when they die? Farang-lands usually have lots and lots of cemeteries. Even places that had only a few Farang visitors -- like Japan 100 years ago. No doubt many are cremated but if not do they all get sent back home? I suspect the Chinese don't want us in their cemeteries.

Is there a business opportunity here? Or would the plots have to be sold under the Condo laws thus requiring 51% Thai ownership -- and that just ain't gonna happen, right?! What's the Thai transliteration of "Shady Acres?"

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~clday/cemrecs.htm

http://www.rootsweb.com/~thawgw/cemeteries.html

Theres a Christian cemetery near Chong Nonsi. Rather overgrown and very atmospheric. Theres also a smaller one in the New Road area.

The Chinese bury their dead too. If you ever go from Rayong/Chanthaburi to BKK any bypass Chonburi you can see the vast Chinese cemetery from the highway as you turn off before reaching Chonburi centre.

Edited by ProfessorFart

If anyone has any special requests of what you want done with your earthly remains, post them here.

Only things we can perform in Thailand...

(Hunter S Thompson is having his ashes blown out of a cannon)

Tibetan Air burial anyone?

I want my Viking ceremony. Floating down the river burning. Have the boat already, but think the permission will never be granted. :o

The farang dead are deported and fined if they have overstayed their visa. The next time on the way out if you think the smelly fat bald old git next to you is just passed out pissed think again. Did you actualy see him get on??

:o

Every farang I know of had a Thai barbecue just the same as the Thai people. I told my friends that I wanted my ashes dumped in the Gulf Of Thailand but that it would be okay to just flush them down the toilet because they would get to the Gulf that way too.

I understand there are new laws forbidding burials within city limits and read somewhere that the remains of those buried on Silom Soi 9 have been moved or will be moved.

Gone or almost gone: http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/buildings/cem.../cemetery.shtml

However, on the other side of Sathorn road there's another large cemetery. After all this is a traditionally christian area, and there must be a fair number of christians dropping off at St. Louis every day, whether Thai, farang or Chinese.

From what I read in Bangkok Post it was "relocated" to Nakhon Patom province. I've been inside that cemetery once when I was a kid and found most of the tombs are for expats in Thailand in late 19th century.

I should add there WAS a Christian cemetery near Chong Nongsi however my housemate tells me its been cleared away!

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be gratful because I'm sure it was still there last year.

Although not a farang but as an expat, I am outraged to see those pictures in the link. Who and under what right do they think they can excavate and demolish the cemetery, tearing up the coffins and disturbing the deads? I'm surprised Thai people are capable of doing this for business. And why does the Chinese cemetery next to it still remain there intact? Do they think they can do this to farang/christian cemetery because there aren't any descendent in Thailand to complain about it?

I understand there are new laws forbidding burials within city limits and read somewhere that the remains of those buried on Silom Soi 9 have been moved or will be moved.

Gone or almost gone: http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok/buildings/cem.../cemetery.shtml

However, on the other side of Sathorn road there's another large cemetery. After all this is a traditionally christian area, and there must be a fair number of christians dropping off at St. Louis every day, whether Thai, farang or Chinese.

Who and under what right do they think they can excavate and demolish the cemetery, tearing up the coffins and disturbing the deads? I'm surprised Thai people are capable of doing this for business. And why does the Chinese cemetery next to it still remain there intact? Do they think they can do this to farang/christian cemetery because there aren't any descendent in Thailand to complain about it?

Yeah, moved into a pile and burnt !

They should just build right over top of the cemetery. That way the souls of the dead could haunt the bejesus out of it !

Maybe the Thais figure that they've been in the ground long enough, they should have been re-incarnated by now ?

DE MORTUIS: the history of the Chiangmai foreign cemetery, by R.W.Wood 1992 (Craftsman Press Co. Bangkok).

Nice reading. The land was donated by King Rama V.

Here in town on the Christian churchyard you pay 3000 Baht for a big hole with stone walls and a cement lock. The fancy stuff on top is of your own choice. Mostly the type of bathroom inside/outside.

The hole is so big that you could put a leaning-chair in it and a television set. With some nice things on the walls you could really make it livable.

A cremation can be very beautiful when done right. I am sorry to say that it is not allways done right. Foreigners like to stay and see the body burn. Specially the burning of obese persons is not a nice sight. They have to be turned around and around, car-tyres have to be used and so on.

A while ago a British gentleman was cremated in the small village he lived. We asked a Thai mutual friend to organise the open-air cremation.

He choose the old traditional northern style of cremating semi-royal persons. Simple and pure. Respectful and beautiful.

My will says that I wish to be cremated in the Buddhist tradition and my

ashes interred with those of my wife.

And my will states the same with the addition that the ashes are buried in the Wal Mart Parking Lot so I know she'll visit me every day! :o

...should substitute Tescos for Wal Mart as it'll happen in LOS... :D

And my will states the same with the addition that the ashes are buried in the Wal Mart Parking Lot so I know she'll visit me every day! :D

:o

DE MORTUIS: the history of the Chiangmai foreign cemetery, by R.W.Wood 1992 (Craftsman Press Co. Bangkok).

Nice reading. The land was donated by King Rama V.

Here in town on the Christian churchyard you pay 3000 Baht for a big hole with stone walls and a cement lock. The fancy stuff on top is of your own choice. Mostly the type of bathroom inside/outside.

The hole is so big that you could put a leaning-chair in it and a television set. With some nice things on the walls you could really make it livable.

A cremation can be very beautiful when done right. I am sorry to say that it is not allways done right. Foreigners like to stay and see the body burn. Specially the burning of obese persons is not a nice sight. They have to be turned around and around, car-tyres have to be used and so on.

A while ago a British gentleman was cremated in the small village he lived. We asked a Thai mutual friend to organise the open-air cremation.

He choose the old traditional northern style of cremating semi-royal persons. Simple and pure. Respectful and beautiful.

I believe that Mr Ron Wood has now passed on . Another long term expat from Chiang Mai has taken over updating DE MORTUIS.

It's an interesting read. :o

Here is the link that gives a few more details.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...905&hl=cemetery

Edited by chuchok

And my will states the same with the addition that the ashes are buried in the Wal Mart Parking Lot so I know she'll visit me every day! :o

It would need to be Lobinson in my case!! :D

It would need to be Lobinson in my case!! :D

or Centun :D