Through Checked Bags

Crossy

I don't often fly multi-leg journies, and when I do they're invariably on the same airline so this problem has never come up.

THIS time, my Indian client is paying, so they've gone for the cheapest option.

I have to fly:-

Thai ==> Air India ==> Lufthansa

All three legs are international.

Is it likely that I'll be able to check bags all the way through to my final destination? I REALLY want to avoid passing through immigration in Mumbai just to get my bags, check-in for the next flight and queue for ages to go back out again.

I could go cabin only at a push which should circumvent the issue.

On that itinerary, I reckon you are doomed to having to claim and recheck in Mumbai. However, you should check with Thai and Air India if they have an 'interline' agreement for checked baggage as United and Continental had initiated that on their trans-Pacific flights ahead of CO fully joining Star Alliance at the end of last month. Don't rely on a travel agent to find out the facts for you.

If not, I reckon you should have a yack at your cheap-arsed client and say as much. Maybe mention that airport security in India will be a major issue (it probably will be a major inconvenience) and press for a more reasonable itinerary.

Is this itinerary on a single ticket? Do you have any unusually long layovers?

If on one ticket and no long layovers you will be able to check your bags through.

What are the first three digits of the ticket number? In theory it should be 217 as this is TG stock and the first airline is usually the one the ticket was issued by. TG will see your full itinerary and be able to tag your bags through to your final destination. If you have separate tickets just show them to the check-in agent, who can still check your bags through.

Airline interline agreements are independent of marketing alliances. Star Alliance carriers interline with OneWorld and many other non-affiliated carriers.

Edited by lomatopo