Who Do You Tip?

Spaniel

I give my barber "Christmas bonus" every year.

I tipped the police 3000 baht once because they found one of my motorbikes that been stolen.

In restaurants my wife tips more than me.

So you tipped them for doing a job they are paid to do??? Do you tip the checkout girl at tescos for running your items through the till?

Thai people are not renown for tipping and a tip in my opinion is to reward someone for going above and beyond what their job entails, as the thais cant seem to even get the basics of service right I dont tip much.

There are also jobs where tips are part of the expected remuneration.

In our small business I pay our waitress 100 Baht a day and tips are shared between her and the chef. Last Friday they got over 150 Baht each in tips.

Nobody has to leave a tip but 90+% of customers do. We also present 5 x 20 with the 'bin' (if there is not 20 Baht in the change) to give the customer the ability/option to leave a tip if they so desire. 20 Baht is the standard for me to tip locally and I would not expect more from a customer. We get 2 or 3 customers a week who will tip 100 Baht.

I agree that people in the service industry expect tips, however, tips should not be taken into consideration when accepting a job. Tips are a bonus on top of salary and should not be taken into account when considering a position.

Easy to say if there basic salary covers there dailey living expenses and some small savings, but with the most jobs availeble for Thai people in the service industry there basic salary is just enough to pay rent for a room the bus for 2 x 1 hour a day and a bottle of cheap whiskey for there boyfriends (as the most people in service industry are woman), Thai employers are calculating the tip as salary they just exploiting this people and without tip they can hardly survive.

Thats the reason Thai people are fully aware of tips been given and they can't take this in consideration, they just have no other option. :)

Then Thai people should grow a pair and not accept this in their democratic? society. I have no pity for the Thais who say 'we are poor, we have no money' Bit of advice- stop accepting money for your vote and make a stand, let the Govt of the day know you wont accept this anymore. After all there are over 60 million of you! Maybe if people like Ghandi relied on tourist tips and not fought for his and his peoples rights, we wouldnt know who he is!!!

When service is good from waiters.hairdressers,taxi drivers and other people in the service industry I have no problem giving about 10% or a minimum of 20 baht. I'm not rich by all means but it won't break the bank and will add a little to someones low salary. I see from earlier posts some come up with real lame excuses to be real cheap Charlies.

Then Thai people should grow a pair and not accept this in their democratic? society. I have no pity for the Thais who say 'we are poor, we have no money' Bit of advice- stop accepting money for your vote and make a stand, let the Govt of the day know you wont accept this anymore. After all there are over 60 million of you! Maybe if people like Ghandi relied on tourist tips and not fought for his and his peoples rights, we wouldnt know who he is!!!

Thais are believers and less intresting in to find the facts behind a story or policy, thats how they are and been educated you can't blaim a fish that he cant fly, also as i agree fully with your point of vieuw, they don't as they (the most in this service industry) dont know another way.

And still see Tips as a basic salary.

When service is good from waiters.hairdressers,taxi drivers and other people in the service industry I have no problem giving about 10% or a minimum of 20 baht. I'm not rich by all means but it won't break the bank and will add a little to someones low salary. I see from earlier posts some come up with real lame excuses to be real cheap Charlies.

I agree! Tipping is at the discretion of the tipper which is a matter of heart and not out of an obligation. Why be a cheap Charlie anyway? If you don't want to tip just keep steppin...but I wouldn't recommend coming back to the same place where you just proved yourself as a jerk and expect any kind of good service (IMHO).

"Security guards"

Nope.

"Newspaper delivery guy"

Nope.

"Post delivery guy"

Nope.

"Trash pick up guys"

Nope.

If I tip its 20baht, regardless if the bin is 10 baht or 10,000baht.

Ditto!

If someone know a place where i can enjoy myself for a few hours for 10 Baht i give also 20 baht tip and another 20 baht for the one reccomend me that place.

"Security guards"

Nope.

"Newspaper delivery guy"

Nope.

"Post delivery guy"

Nope.

"Trash pick up guys"

Nope.

Ditto!

If someone know a place where i can enjoy myself for a few hours for 10 Baht i give also 20 baht tip and another 20 baht for the one reccomend me that place.

Holland?

"Security guards"

Nope.

"Newspaper delivery guy"

Nope.

"Post delivery guy"

Nope.

"Trash pick up guys"

Nope.

Ditto!

Holland?

Details please i make it 30 Baht for the reccomendation :)

it's not tipping i believe in so much as it is, over tipping.

10 baht on a breakfast

20-50 baht on a good dinner

10 baht to the kid pumping my gas

100 baht on a 1000 bar bill

Only tipping after a good meal or good service in a bar 20-40 B, if that is your new target for 2010 you can delight yourself with a bottle of Chateau Lafite-Rothschild 1972 during your Christmas diner 2010 instead of 2 cans of LEO beer this year.But if you prefer to sponsor the sticky rice for 2010 its also acceptable.

do what now?

I agree! Tipping is at the discretion of the tipper which is a matter of heart and not out of an obligation. Why be a cheap Charlie anyway? If you don't want to tip just keep steppin...but I wouldn't recommend coming back to the same place where you just proved yourself as a jerk and expect any kind of good service (IMHO).

So you wouldnt recommend going back to a place because you didnt tip?? and by not tipping you prove yourself a jerk?? So if you owned a restaurant and a customer didnt tip, you would encourage your staff to be impolite or not give that person good service based on the fact he/she didnt tip last time?? And tipping is not a matter of the heart where we are supposed to supplement someones wages cos they are poor. you tip people for going above and beyond what is required of them in their job spec.

Thais are believers and less intresting in to find the facts behind a story or policy, thats how they are and been educated you can't blaim a fish that he cant fly, also as i agree fully with your point of vieuw, they don't as they (the most in this service industry) dont know another way.

And still see Tips as a basic salary.

Then if their not interested in finding out the facts, why should i subsidise them for being lazy f@*#ing people? and no you cant blame a fish that he cant fly, but in the case of most thais, you can blame a fish that wont swim because hes to f&*#ing lazy and expects someone else to do it for him!!!

There is that old saying... Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, give him a rod and teach him to fish and he'll eat every day.

In the case of most Thais..... Give him a rod and teach him to fish and he'll sell the rod and buy a new mobile phone!!

So you wouldnt recommend going back to a place because you didnt tip?? and by not tipping you prove yourself a jerk?? So if you owned a restaurant and a customer didnt tip, you would encourage your staff to be impolite or not give that person good service based on the fact he/she didnt tip last time?? And tipping is not a matter of the heart where we are supposed to supplement someones wages cos they are poor. you tip people for going above and beyond what is required of them in their job spec.

So I guess when you choose not to tip, when someone goes above and beyond what is required of them in their job spec, I'm guessing that it is your prerogative to use your head to judge whether your heart has anything to do with your actions? BTW, don't be putting stupid suppositions into what I posted by your implying stale thoughts. A recommendation can always be taken at face value or left as an idle thought and opinions are like * everyone has got one.

So I guess when you choose not to tip, when someone goes above and beyond what is required of them in their job spec, I'm guessing that it is your prerogative to use your head to judge whether your heart has anything to do with your actions? BTW, don't be putting stupid suppositions into what I posted by your implying stale thoughts. A recommendation can always be taken at face value or left as an idle thought and opinions are like * everyone has got one.

<deleted>?? didnt understand any of that.

When you talk of going above the level of what is expected in a job that entails service to the public , whos standard or expectation are you refering to ? . All jobs are jobs , if you do not know what standard of efficiency is expected , ask the boss , if you cannot reach those standards , find another job . It is not the customers obligation to subsidise a workers renumeration , but more his/her choice of whether to tip you or not , should you be lacking in tips , take a look in the mirror and ask yourself 'Why' .

quote: When service is good from waiters.hairdressers,taxi drivers and other people in the service industry I have no problem giving about 10% or a minimum of 20 baht. I'm not rich by all means but it won't break the bank and will add a little to someones low salary. I see from earlier posts some come up with real lame excuses to be real cheap Charlies.

<deleted>?? didnt understand any of that.

I didn't either; and it's only three in the afternoon .

We've lived here a while and have asked Thais about their perception of Americans. They always say something to the effect that yes, Americans can be loud, demanding, obnoxous and insensitive, but they're basically kind, generous people. I think it's because Americans tip more often and for more things than other westerners.

We always tip 10% at restaurants, barber, hairdresser, seamstress and other service industry transaction unless the service was really bad. We're especially careful to tip at establishments where we may return. As was noted previously, we seem to get bigger portions at restuarants and quicker service at the barber, etc. To us, a 10% tip seems like a bargain. It's gotten where service people in the U.S. expect 15% as a minimum.

We've lived here a while and have asked Thais about their perception of Americans. They always say something to the effect that yes, Americans can be loud, demanding, obnoxous and insensitive, but they're basically kind, generous people. I think it's because Americans tip more often and for more things than other westerners.

We always tip 10% at restaurants, barber, hairdresser, seamstress and other service industry transaction unless the service was really bad. We're especially careful to tip at establishments where we may return. As was noted previously, we seem to get bigger portions at restuarants and quicker service at the barber, etc. To us, a 10% tip seems like a bargain. It's gotten where service people in the U.S. expect 15% as a minimum.

And if you keep going the way you are going the Thais will expect 15% as the minimum!

Look, I do tip. But I tip the people who go above what they are paid to do. The security guard downstairs who is paid to 'whistle' cars into their allocated parking spaces does not deserve a tip when he does just that. But when i come home from Tesco with my young baby and 8 bags of shopping and he helps me with my bags to the lift, then that does warrant a tip. Those people who keep saying tiping is all in the heart, take my challenge. next time the people who you say help you, dont tip them and see if they will help you next time. Then tel me its from the heart.

My wife and I usually tip along these lines:

Security at our condo: Bht1000 each at New Years, and as someone else mentioned above we often (but not always) buy and extra portion of food and rice of the night security on our way back home on a night out.

Security at work, car park and office - the odd lunch/breakfast now and again.

Security in the car parks of provincial hotels we visit Bht50~100 for the night security.

Bell Hops - Bht50 for taking bags to/from room

Chamber maids in hotels - we usually tip Bht50 per day - the point being a daily tip rather than one big tip when we leave (not unknown of supervisors to check the rooms of guests when they are checking out so the day maid doesn't get the tip).

Restaurants 10-15% but a minimum Bht20.

Taxi drivers Bht20~40 around town, Bht 100 from the airport

On the rare occasion I take a motor bike taxi, I ask the price and then offer another Bht20~40 if the guy drives carefully :-)

I hear the argument that this is Thailand and Thai people don't tip much - but yes this is Thailand and most of the people doing these service jobs get <deleted> pay, tips are clearly appreciated and I'm sure a few extra Bht coming in makes a difference to people working to bring up families/take care of parents etc.

It also amazes me how so many people say 'we are always careful to tip at places where we might return'! So the tip has now become a threat then? we cant go back there cos we didnt tip them, so maybe they will spit in our food this time? A tip is just that, a tip. Nobody should feel threatened if they didnt leave a tip, and if you do your eating in the wrong places!

My wife and I usually tip along these lines:

Security at our condo: Bht1000 each at New Years, and as someone else mentioned above we often (but not always) buy and extra portion of food and rice of the night security on our way back home on a night out.

Security at work, car park and office - the odd lunch/breakfast now and again.

Security in the car parks of provincial hotels we visit Bht50~100 for the night security.

Bell Hops - Bht50 for taking bags to/from room

Chamber maids in hotels - we usually tip Bht50 per day - the point being a daily tip rather than one big tip when we leave (not unknown of supervisors to check the rooms of guests when they are checking out so the day maid doesn't get the tip).

Restaurants 10-15% but a minimum Bht20.

Taxi drivers Bht20~40 around town, Bht 100 from the airport

On the rare occasion I take a motor bike taxi, I ask the price and then offer another Bht20~40 if the guy drives carefully :-)

I hear the argument that this is Thailand and Thai people don't tip much - but yes this is Thailand and most of the people doing these service jobs get <deleted> pay, tips are clearly appreciated and I'm sure a few extra Bht coming in makes a difference to people working to bring up families/take care of parents etc.

1. 1000 bht each at new year, how many are there? and do they take care of your car above and beyond anyone else? Or do they wait till youve gone to bed and then put their feet on your car and sleep? Can you guarantee that if a thai scrapes your car they will tell you?

2. Security at work and car park and office. Why? If someone nicked your car and/or office burnt down could you get a reliable statement from them? Would you buy a macdonalds for the car park attendant in your home country?

3. Bell hops. Fair enough.

4. Chamber maids. 50bht a day is too much. How many rooms in the hotel?

5. Restaurants. Waitresses in restaurants should get tipped according to their performance, not a standard percentage.

6. Taxi drivers around town should get f@#k all. Most of them dont have licenses, come from the boonies, dont know where they're going and on the whole are rude and think the world owes them a favour for driving them around town.

7. Motorcycle taxis. by offering 20 - 40 baht extra for driving safely, all you are doing is encouraging them to drive like a bat out of hel_l to get you there so they can get back and pick up some other mug who will pay over the odds for a nailbiting ride!

Next time you get a motorcycle taxi ask to see his license and i bet he dont have one!!

I do tip generaly like what has been said, if and when I believe the service has been of a good level or I believe they have made the effort. Although I have specificaly made a point of not tipping when I'm being 'told' or what they may see as 'asking' tip and mostly in these cases the afore mentioned person comes out with the insults Kineow ect. I remember one time the person trying to take a tip from my change in other words withholding lol to me this tends to get the opposite.

In response to the op's question none apply to me!

Edited by BboyRusty