Opera 10.10

Pattayaseven

I can not upgrade / full install any of the 10 series to my new notebook ( windows 7 )

I try from a thumb / turn off anti virus /

I am still running the 9.4 version

Tari you must really like it to put a reply to this post ! 29 messgaes in 4 years membership.. WOW

Edited by simcity

Every few years, I download and install the latest version of Opera (including the "10" series) for a test run. Each time, Opera seems complicated to use, not very user friendly, and the skin unattractive. The only functionality in Opera that is not currently included in other major browsers is the built in torrent file download manager (and it is very bare-bones and of no use to a power-downloader). In addition, there is no ad-blocking functionality like that found in FF and IE, and the zillions of other ad-ons available with FF.

After a day of test use, I always end up uninstalling it and continuing happily surfing along in life using Firefox :)

Edited by FarangBuddha

Hi there Forum members ! :)

You where talking about my favorite browser so i thought (spelling??)i say a few words what i think about Opera.

For Laptops...perfect.

For workstations...perfect.

For security...very good.

For speed and ease of use...very good.

I've been using Opera since -97 and it's still my No1 browser...that's my "that's my few words of input".

Have a good day Forum members..Over and Out...//MrHydro :D

Every few years, I download and install the latest version of Opera (including the "10" series) for a test run. Each time, Opera seems complicated to use, not very user friendly, and the skin unattractive. The only functionality in Opera that is not currently included in other major browsers is the built in torrent file download manager (and it is very bare-bones and of no use to a power-downloader). In addition, there is no ad-blocking functionality like that found in FF and IE, and the zillions of other ad-ons available with FF.

After a day of test use, I always end up uninstalling it and continuing happily surfing along in life using Firefox :)

In addition, there is no ad-blocking functionality like that found in FF and IE, and the zillions of other ad-ons available with FF.

Get a pair of good readingglasses and download the 10.01 (stable)a try again...no adblocking...bs...//MrHydro :D

I used Opera in the past and liked it. They then decided to be all things to all users. In the process they have complicated and slowed it down. Firefox develops glitches and needs a re-install once in a while, but it is still the best browser available.

I used Opera in the past and liked it. They then decided to be all things to all users. In the process they have complicated and slowed it down. Firefox develops glitches and needs a re-install once in a while, but it is still the best browser available.

Yeah...forgot to mention that Opera is slow as h#ll too!

I started with Opera 2 days ago. Been happy with FF for a number of years, but after getting the MacBookPro 18 months ago, i noticed more and more problems.

Ultimately, what switched me over was that FF was a CPU hog and was bringing the MBP and its battery to a boil. Opera uses very, very little by comparison, and the heat sensors register several degress cooler - as does my left wrist.

There's gonna be a learning curve, unlearning FF and learning Opera. That's to be expected; when I switched from IE to FF I had some baaaad dreams lol. But Opera seems to just snap a new screen into place, instead of waiting like FF. Sure, ultimately it doesn't save a lot of time, but it sure does reduce the annoyance factor.

Pity that some of the add-ons for FF don't work with Opera - Cooliris being the one I miss the most. So I have to use Safari for those. An annoyance factor, to be sure.

Good widgets in Opera! And easier to find - FF had just too bloody many :-P

More later...

i just download Firefox after glitch trying to install new Opera into windows 7

it look fine to me, will take a while to get use to it

Opera 10 series could not be load into the notebook, changing compatibility, doing upgrade or full install, loading from thumb or external HD, did not succeeds

probably a dumb question but what do yew guys do with your bookmarks when you change browsers or install a new version of firefox, say...? can they be easily moved between different browsers or transferred to a new version of FF?

If you just update FF, it will save all your settings. If you uninstall FF and the settings, which seems necessary once in a while, you have to start over.

To save the bookmarks, go to bookmarks, organize bookmarks, import and backup then backup, you can choose where to save your bookmarks. After you reinstall FF, you can do a restore using the same method.

probably a dumb question but what do yew guys do with your bookmarks when you change browsers or install a new version of firefox, say...? can they be easily moved between different browsers or transferred to a new version of FF?

If you just update FF, it will save all your settings. If you uninstall FF and the settings, which seems necessary once in a while, you have to start over.

To save the bookmarks, go to bookmarks, organize bookmarks, import and backup then backup, you can choose where to save your bookmarks. After you reinstall FF, you can do a restore using the same method.

Or even better, download and install MozBackup, and you can save all your FF (and Thunderbird if using) settings, including passwords, add-ons, bookmarks, forms, etc etc.

Or even better, download and install MozBackup, and you can save all your FF (and Thunderbird if using) settings, including passwords, add-ons, bookmarks, forms, etc etc.

When I use the complete backup, it seems to also save the same glitches that caused me to re-install in the first place. The bookmarks are the only thing I need to save. Entering passwords again is a pain but not too bad.

When I use the complete backup, it seems to also save the same glitches that caused me to re-install in the first place. The bookmarks are the only thing I need to save. Entering passwords again is a pain but not too bad.

Bookmarks are the only thing I save.

I never allow browsers to store/save any passwords. I enter passwords manually every time.

Come on FrangBuddha. Did u really ever use Opera ?

Have a look at the attached image which clearly shows Popup blocker option.

And I really laughed when u said tha Opera is slow. Just change the Maximum connection to the server in Advance Network options from 20 - 128 and see the result yourself. Opera 10.10 has a Turbo option too which is a server-side optimization and compression technology that speeds up data transfer and reduces the amount of data that needs to be downloaded in order to view the page by up to 80%

There is nothing wrong in using FireFox or IE. But if someone can not handle a Ferrari this does't mean that Ferrai is SLOWER than Toyota Celica Supra :)

It needs time to shift to another Browser and since we are using it for a very long period of time we know what it really is.

Pls do have a look at http://download.cnet.com/Opera/3000-2356_4-10005498.html

Thank you and have a nice day.

Dear SIMCITY Very true.

Opera is always installed in my Desktop PC, in my Windows Notebook, in my Ubuntu Linux notebook, in my O2 Exec Pocket PC and even in my old mobile phone.

post-21691-1259605572_thumb.jpg

Edited by tariq786

Come on FrangBuddha. Did u really ever use Opera ?

Like I said, I have tried it on and off for probably a decade...never really liked it. Those Norwegian programmers still have some work to do.

Have a look at the attached image which clearly shows Popup blocker option.

Pop-up blocking is not the same as AD-BLOCKING functionality (taking out all the ads on websites [which greatly speeds up page loading too by the way). Yes, every major browser has built-in pop-up window blocking; but of the Big-5 (IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, Opera) only FF has plug-in for ad-blocking and IE can be modified to do the same.

And I really laughed when u said tha Opera is slow. Just change the Maximum connection to the server in Advance Network options from 20 - 128 and see the result yourself. Opera 10.10 has a Turbo option too which is a server-side optimization and compression technology that speeds up data transfer and reduces the amount of data that needs to be downloaded in order to view the page by up to 80%

Like I said, it's still very geeky...why should the average user have to dig down into the ADVANCED network option settings to get the program to work at an acceptable speed. FF does it right "out of the box"? I turned on the Turbo option when I tested the most recent version of Opera and I didn't notice any difference in speed...just another useless "bell and whistle" IMO.

I grant you that Opera usually garners good reviews so that's why I give each version a try-out. However, for me, I just don't see what's so great about it and FF has much more functionality and of course, the universe of plug-ins and add-ons.

Hi Simcity

I am using Opera 10.10 on 3 different OS and 3 different Hardwares. It was just point and click for installation and there was no problem at all.

I have never used Windows 7 as such can not comment but in my opinion most of the time the culprits are Anti virus and Firewall. And if u are comfortable with some Registry Cleaner, do check your registry first.

What exactly is the error ? Can u post the image ?

Tariq

What exactly is the error ? Can u post the image ?

Tariq

Hi Tariq786

I download version 10 series (three different versions)

Done the install from a external drive or thumb

Open new folder in programs file & try as well in a different folder

Turn off antivirus & firewall

Change the attribute to run windows XP + run this program as administrator

The install cannot be made, I get this window & it roll back.

I clear all trace from my previous Opera 9, read some info about it, try to change some attribute in system file and Clients.

No result Opera cannot be install on my windows 7 notebook, I have it on my desktop

post-3046-1259799811_thumb.jpg

I'd give it a bit longer than that.

Firefox knocked spots off IE and I initially enjoyed the switch many moons ago. However, it is a serious resource hog, overly arty-farty and cannot hold a candle to Opera today. If you're on the internet 12 hours a day, there is no comparison as it is so much faster even without Turbo... whatever floats yet boat though I guess.

Have Windows7, 32-bit and wanted to download version 10.10. Get message not compatible with W7.

Downloaded older version 10 and no problem.

IE8 never ending "not respond" loose users every day, so slow and outdated.

Firefox must be the winner with speed and all their add-ons.

Google Chrome are fast to but saves all your Cookies, lousy when it come to Privacy.

Have Windows7, 32-bit and wanted to download version 10.10. Get message not compatible with W7.

Downloaded older version 10 and no problem.

IE8 never ending "not respond" loose users every day, so slow and outdated.

Firefox must be the winner with speed and all their add-ons.

Google Chrome are fast to but saves all your Cookies, lousy when it come to Privacy.

I am using Windows 7 Pro and Opera 10.10 works properly. I'm not fond of the new Opera but it doesn't crash like Google Chrome. Firefox is still my default browser.

Gary, my notebook came with windows 7 home, perhaps HP and microsoft decide to put in it a nanny program who stop me to load it (opera) i really like this browser.

perhaps you have the windows 7 pro, and that make a difference.

need to wait and see , hopefully will get back to opera, i think it is bit more clean and stylist for me.

Hi Simcity

Make sure u login as Administrator and then :

(1) Open the registry editor by selecting "Run" from the start menu and then typing "regedit".

(2) Search the registry and select the entry mentioned in the error message.

(3) Choose "Permissions" by right-clicking on the registry key's parent directory.

(4) Click the "Advanced" button to add "Everyone" as the new user and give the permissions for user "Everyone" to "Full Control"

I think it will solve your problem.

Tariq

tariq786 Thank

Last night using Perfect utility I did change the permission (permission to admin/did not know the term EVERYONE) thank for the tip

Your solution as mine get a stage further before been blocked again, here is the capture

I cannot change the priority to this one, it said:

Unable to save permission changes on OpenWithProgIds. Access denied

Will a Windows 7 Pro resolve the problem? Desperate to go back to Opera (I do not like firefox)

Anymore tips ?

Thank

post-3046-1259886045_thumb.jpg

xmarks.. My number one add on.