Samui Ring Road...

Boater

I have heard from a few people and seen on some facebook pages that the Ring Road in Samui in finally being tarmaced ? is this true ? ...

What happened to the ' concrete ' mafia and there never ending rubbish repairs of the current ring road or have they moved in to tarmac now ?

The old mayor was a waste of space, I remember those golden coloured lamp posts in bang rak that had to be lifted on by crane they were so heavy, apparently over 100k each, fine they look nice, but things like that come last, after basic infrastructure is completed and satisfactory. The funniest thing is during the run up to the last election there were posters up using them as an example as a good reason to re-elect him...... lol

Since the new mayor has come in you can see the change for the better all around. There are green bins everywhere all along the ring road, drainage is finally being fixed, and best of all tarmac has arrived.

That change of mayor may prove to be one of the most important hurdles in getting this place back on track. With the Demorcrats really pushing samui for city status above all other places the future is looking brighter.

Ok, nothing happens overnight here, but there is more positive happenings in the last three months which are actually visible than I saw in two tenures from the previous mayor.

Funny how he managed to build two flashy hotels during his tenure, anyone know what he did before he was mayor? How he earn't his $......

The old mayor was a waste of space, I remember those golden coloured lamp posts in bang rak that had to be lifted on by crane they were so heavy, apparently over 100k each, fine they look nice, but things like that come last, after basic infrastructure is completed and satisfactory. The funniest thing is during the run up to the last election there were posters up using them as an example as a good reason to re-elect him...... lol

Since the new mayor has come in you can see the change for the better all around. There are green bins everywhere all along the ring road, drainage is finally being fixed, and best of all tarmac has arrived.

That change of mayor may prove to be one of the most important hurdles in getting this place back on track. With the Demorcrats really pushing samui for city status above all other places the future is looking brighter.

Ok, nothing happens overnight here, but there is more positive happenings in the last three months which are actually visible than I saw in two tenures from the previous mayor.

Funny how he managed to build two flashy hotels during his tenure, anyone know what he did before he was mayor? How he earn't his $......

what u meen 2 altogether its minimum 3 hotels :)

what u meen 2 altogether its minimum 3 hotels :)

See how honest hard work pays off......... How these guys get treated with such respect and wai'd as if they were demi gods is well beyond me........

Edited by womble

tarmac on concrete? how long will it keep his beautiful surface??

all the heavy trucks(and temperatures around 35 C) will destroy it within 6 month.

They will have more work to repair than it was with concrete.

Edited by goldfinger

all the heavy trucks(and temperatures around 35 C) will destroy it within 6 month.

job for life then not many of those around these days

There are plenty of asphalt roads in mainland Thailand, and they are in good condition. With 35 C, tourist buses and the heavy trucks even Phuket roads are great in comparison with concrete roads we (used to) have here. I highly doubt that asphalt cover is as unstable as Goldfinger says. Come on people, stop complaining already!

There are plenty of asphalt roads in mainland Thailand, and they are in good condition. With 35 C, tourist buses and the heavy trucks even Phuket roads are great in comparison with concrete roads we (used to) have here. I highly doubt that asphalt cover is as unstable as Goldfinger says. Come on people, stop complaining already!

True, we've been complaining about the roads for years and now they're actually trying to do something people are knocking them before the work is even finished! Let's wait and see :)

The test tarmac was laid in Nathon, BEFORE elections, there are improvement, long term infrastructure development programs which have nothing to do with the local government, budget allocated by the federal government!

P.S.

It would be really appreciated, to show some sort of respect and NOT to speculate about certain public figures and the whereabouts of their families wealth, unless some one KNOWs for SURE and has backups - libel and slander is a legal offense in Thailand!

Besides not fair unless one can present genuine proof!

Edited by Samuian

maybe misunderstanding,

I wanted to say,because "Phuket and mainland tarmac roads have NO concrete basement"

they are in such good conditions.

i know that the Nathon road was also covered with asphalt.

Welldone asphalt roads need a professional underground of minimum 30/40 cm of special materials.(but no concrete)

The test tarmac was laid in Nathon, BEFORE elections, there are improvement, long term infrastructure development programs which have nothing to do with the local government, budget allocated by the federal government!

And I was wondering why only 600 m or so of tarmac was laid there! Looked like a joke, really. Now I get it.

And I was wondering why only 600 m or so of tarmac was laid there! Looked like a joke, really. Now I get it.

I think you'll find the Nathon tarmac was a test to see how it would stand up to heavy truck traffic from the ferries when laid over concrete .

Can't wait until they do Bophut , the lamai part is great to drive on. Makes my old pick up feel like new again :)

Edited by Pilchard

P.S.

It would be really appreciated, to show some sort of respect and NOT to speculate about certain public figures and the whereabouts of their families wealth, unless some one KNOWs for SURE and has backups - libel and slander is a legal offense in Thailand!

Nathon's roads are under the control of local Samui tessaban, the ringroad is under control of Surat Thani

P.S.

Nathon's roads are under the control of local Samui tessaban, the ringroad is under control of Surat Thani

I think you might find that the part mentioned, is treated as part of the ring road, due to the one way system.

:) Not complaining but wonder where all the recently made road drains have gone. From Thong Takian to The Spa, it is now one continuous ribbon of black tarmac with the drains beneath .....?

:) Not complaining but wonder where all the recently made road drains have gone. From Thong Takian to The Spa, it is now one continuous ribbon of black tarmac with the drains beneath .....?

They appear to be laying the tarmac over the drains and then going back, cutting them out and raising them to the level of the tarmac.

Attached two photos taken this morning by The Cliff Restaurant.

post-24425-1260251581_thumb.jpg

post-24425-1260251637_thumb.jpg

Outside Post office in Chaweng they are replacing an old section of concrete.

On hand doesn't know what the other do. :)

As I mentioned before PS, they are replacing quite a bit of concrete, to make sure the base is sound.