So If You Were Going To Open A Bar In Chawng

I would think of a theme that has not been done to death before. I would choose a prime location. Good contract not the 3 year crap, no keymoney, just a fair price for the rent. Live music is always good but very difficult to find a "house" band that is capable of keeping somebody interested for longer than 1 minute. Coco blues is a good example. Music is ok to very good. In other bars the music is very bad to ok. That is a major major difference.

Jazz would be good, not much of that here. But the music genre is not that important for may genres there is enough public if the performers are good.

Find good musicians first as a basis, the bar will be just "another" bar. Who cares what memorabelia (sp) you have. Have good seats, good drinks, fair prices and good music on a volume level that people still can talk to each other.

If you were going to open a bar in chaweng, what would it be..a rock bar, a rave bar, a serious drinkers bar, sports bar, or something different? How decorated? What features?

I would have the waitress' wearing sarongs and bikinis . Myabe have a drink gimmic , in the philippines the had a couple of places iwth shots if you finished them you would get your name engraved on a little plate and put on the wall . Then either have a nice dance floor and a good live band on 3-4 nights a week .

The 2 places with the shots , one was 14 ans still standing , you would have 14 shots to , and it wasnt pretty . only a few girly shots . you would also get a t-shirt. the other place was 8 shots 1/2 were girly shots . They would keep track of each country they represented on a huge chalk board . HEY NEED A PARTNER ?

COME ON PLEASE ?

I hope these last remarks are tongue in cheek. The kind of tourist is changing, people looking for sexy ladies are now a minority, at least in Chaweng.

Only with apparent prudes like yourself. I visited a few places in Europe with my Family of 4 last year and we were quite happy to drink in establishments with similar attractions.

It's a holiday fer Gawds sake......

I hope these last remarks are tongue in cheek. The kind of tourist is changing, people looking for sexy ladies are now a minority, at least in Chaweng.

Only with apparent prudes like yourself. I visited a few places in Europe with my Family of 4 last year and we were quite happy to drink in establishments with similar attractions.

certainly not Chonobot, I'd be disgusted to see such things on a cultural island like Samui, give me a good solid english pub anyday

ok, cut the b.ullshit, girls in skimpy clothes pouring shots, when and where you opening pal? :o

A good jazz cafe/ pub sounds ok to me ... soft music , easy drinks , not to loud volume and a pool table inside with sigars ... sounds good . Find a good band , that is the problem i think ( music like Sade or something like that ... ) .

The second choice would also attract people , but a different kind . Like Khun Jean said , tourism in Samui is changing and with a good bar together with good band could attract every type of costumer . If you have a girl you could go there, but if you are a family you could go there as well , i don't think you'll attract many single man ( they are in the other bar :o ) . Maybe the combination is a possibillaty , for ex. the waitresses are goodlooking and wearing not to revealing but very sexy classy outfitts .

Ooops just read your other post ... you hate jazz . Allthough i like New Wave and punk , and there isn't any competition for you when opening such a bar , i don't really think you will have many costumers .

Edited by pyros

A smaller version of Pattayas Exzyte.

Needs some competition for Reggae and the mango.

A good jazz cafe/ pub sounds ok to me ... soft music , easy drinks , not to loud volume and a pool table inside with sigars ... sounds good . Find a good band , that is the problem i think ( music like Sade or something like that ...  ) .

The second choice would also attract people , but a different kind . Like Khun Jean said , tourism in Samui is changing and with a good bar together with good band could attract every type of costumer . If you have a girl you could go there, but if you are a family you could go there as well , i don't think you'll attract many single man ( they are in the other bar  :o ) . Maybe the combination is a possibillaty , for ex. the waitresses are goodlooking and wearing not to revealing but very sexy classy outfitts .

Ooops just read your other post ... you hate jazz . Allthough i like New Wave and punk , and there isn't any competition for you when opening such a bar , i don't really think you will have many costumers .

Just being an observer who sees many bar beer type establishments completly empty while irish pub, the islander and many many more without the skimpy dressed ladies were completely full. So i guess you are in the minority.

Second you can not compare a skimpy dressed ladies place in Europe or US with anything in Thailand. In Thailand it looks very trashy, with very loud music, one bar beer trying to outdo the other one. The "Hello sexy man" drives more people away than it will attract. Unable to speak is also a reason to not visit these places.

I don't think i have to tell you this, There too many places like this.

If you ever visited US or Europe places there you will actually be able to enjoy a drink, watch beautiful ladies dance and give a good show without being too much in your face. You can bring the wife but she probably don't like it anyway (or not show it) and why the #### bring your children???

But i agree with it that a place like in US or Europe will do good, You first have to assure woman that they don't have to go with men. This will make it more easy to attract ladies that are beautiful AND are able to dance (for a good salary of course). The bar lady type is capable of doing the "bangkok shuffle" which is of course deadly boring, even without cloths.

Not prude but proud to be able to use my big brain instead of the little one when it comes to business. :o

• 2 weeks later...