Bangkok's Riskiest Areas

webfact

"Earlier, police identified 5,365 areas in Bangkok as risky spots."

This is code meaning, "You need us! The BIB are here to protect you. You need to pay more tax dollars and recruit even more for our number. Why we are so desperate we have to have a go out and ask donations of hapless motorcycle drivers just to pay our way, so to serve and protect you even better!" :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I live on Lat Phrao 101 and have been for over 2 years....I have never had anything stolen or ran into any trouble there....Maybe because I'm old and sleep early..

Dan :)

Hi Dan your house has got bars like a prison, you have a dog and you have security guard going into the soi (a good one) and you have poor reception on your mobile in the kitchen! O.K.

And you have a good position in a Thai company.....(position of power )

You know I live on 62 my neighbors (who are there all day) are less than 10 foot away from my front door and have security cameras looking at my house and the entrance gate yet said they saw nothing!

I was being driven home by a family friend who also happens to be a retired police general. As we turned down my soi, not far from Lat Phrao 23 mentioned above, I asked him if he thought this was a safe neighborhood. He said yes. Then I asked him if it's ok to walk down the soi late at night (it's about a 300 meter walk). His response "take a motorcycle or taxi, much safer that way."

As far as safety of American cities...it really depends on which one you are in. Spent 4 years in Baltimore and I was one of the few people I knew who never got mugged or burglarized. It can be a very nasty place if you cross into the wrong neighborhood. Also spent 6 years in Manhattan, never once had an incident or knew of anyone who did (different story in some sections of the burroughs). Also, contrary to some comments above, in my experiences, the NYC police are mostly a well trained and friendly force. They are trained to "serve the community", and most of them actually take that approach. They are usually more than happy to help you out or even have a laugh with...assuming you're not in the middle of committing a crime. Can't say that about cops in other cities though.

Those who are saying Bangkok could be the safest city in the world really do not know what they are talking about. There are many cities in the world far safer. It does have an appearance of safety, however, and I have personally never had any problem, but I used to live on a soi off of Sukhumvit 71 that had many problems with personal theft, usually by motorbike thieves lifting bags from women as they drove by them (this very same kind of robbery sadly led to the death of a Scottish lady sometime this year, in Bangkok). More than one lady ended up in the hospital after head injuries, one ended up in a coma (just like the Scottish lady she hung on to her bag and the high speed of the motorcycle led her to hit her head on the pavement, leading to the injury). One 15 year-old girl had her head bashed several times with the robber's motorbike helmet as she wasn't Thai and did not understand his quite reasonable request (rolling eyes) to please hand over her phone so he could steal it. In that particular case he just brazenly walked up to her. An Indian lady living on the soi was walking alone one night at 9 p.m. and a motorbike pulled right in front of her and the driver pointed a pistol at her and demanded her necklace, which was in reality quite expensive, not just one of those fake ones that look expensive. He got lucky that night and she had the scare of her life but wisely gave it over. All of this happened in the space of one year. And there are many other instances that I have not even mentioned.

So, please, I know there's a feeling of safety in Bangkok, and I truly believe it's safer than some cities, but I think there are other cities far safer in this world.

On the issue of safety, Bangkok is NOTHING like what it was 20 years ago. It has become an overly expensive and crime-stricken city. This place has degraded so much to the point where I no longer recommend it to friends. Anyone who has lived here as long as I have will probably agree with me that a lot has changed, but not for the better. Those of you saying, "it's safe" -- well, just know that many violent crimes aren't reported in the English press. The Thai local press is riddled with this stuff. Compared to many other western cities, Bangkok is anything BUT safe. Go talk to the locals, they will tell you exactly how it is.

I agree with you. I live in Bangkok more than 20 years and the city has become increasingly dangerous over the past 2 decades.

Most of 'local involved' crimes are not reported in the foreign press but in the local news and newspapers.

On Nut 44 ?

I think I got short changed at 7-11 there once - other than that, hotbed of crime ?

I agree, I live right accross from Soi 44, there really isn't much there apart from a few shops and some apartment buildings. It seems to be a fairly quiet Soi. It is an excellent alternative route (instead of taking Sukhumvit rd.) to get to Udom Suk or Bangna even.

This estimate is ridiculous. They speak of several Soi's like Latprao 101. I don't know it specifically, but it is undoubtedly typical of most of the sois in that area, then they refer to victory monument, which is a giant square, with large stores and shops, maybe 2 KM of skyways servicing the pedestrian crossings and the BTS, and a huge market. How can you include the two in the same estimate? Also are they including the protests that took place there as dangerous crime? I live about a KM outside Victory monument on a soi of Rangnam Road and I have never hesitated to frequent any area of Victory square. There are soi's off of Sukhumvit and Silom I wouldn't go near even in daylight. In classic Thai police fashion this random selection of places smacks of someones personal agenda.

On Nut. What do you folks that live or travel by there think? Say from Tesco on out... I think it looks like a possible main road for crime because the footpath is narrow (on either side of road) and there are no quick breakaways from there as there tend to be walls from one block to the next, it is pretty dark at night and there are also a lot of obstacles such as concrete poles and telephone booths making the place even more crowded. Walking out in the street isn't possible as it's also narrow and busy with cars transiting through. Footpaths are really bumpy and poorly shaped making a run difficult. Any experience?

I'm surprised how many people took my "1,000,000 times safer" statement literally and even asked for a source of information. It's just a colloquial synonym for "a lot", guys.

Back in the 80's and 90's, I spent a lot of time in Paris, Brussels, London and other major cities. It was absolutely common to see robberies and attacks in broad daylight, and in some places I felt pretty uncomfortable to rush the 15 meters from the Taxi to my door at night. And that was 2 decades ago!

I enjoyed much of the nightlife here in Bangkok and elsewhere, and people on this forum can call me naive, delusional and so on, but if you experience less crime in a decade than elsewhere in a day, hel_l, then the 1,000,000 times statement isn't even that far off reality.

As for the 5'365 risky spots in Bangkok, that's just another awesomely precise Thai statistic pulled out of ... somewhere, like the 138,200 needing winter clothes, or the 1.9786537% unemployment rate in Bangkok mentioned quite a wile ago (1.9786537% of an estimated 7 to 12 M population. Riiiight).

Bangkok's still about 1,000,000 times safer than most big cities in the western world.

nope. Every city has its places that you don't go alone at night, or that are prone to crimes like mugging and such. But at least in most western cities, there are cameras on streets (so if you're mugged or get hurt in a hit and run there's actually evidence) and the police will actually help you.

To the people who have said they've been here twenty years and they know its much worse here than back west.

Don't forget this means you've been out of Europe/ US for twenty years. ALOT has changed in your absence!!!

London press also don't report the violent crime unless it's a particually gruesome murder or it's yet another high school kid been stabbed over a classroom fallout.

When you get 'happy slapped' by a bunch of 14 year olds on your way to work one morning or get stabbed for telling a kid to stop throwing chips at your girlfriend, you may change your mind.

I'm not saying it's all sweetness and roses here, but there is alot less incidents involving pointless violence here than in a city like London. If you don't agree have stroll around New Cross at midnight next time your in London and compare it to any of the soi's mentioned on this report.

Lies damned lies and statistics

I think many are comparing apples and oranges .May I chip in my lemon

1 The only thing they can be sure !00% is how many are on the take,I doubt we'll see these stats without paying for a private viewing.

2 The really dangerous thing is the streets are certainly different with kids and people and old folks after dark unimagineable in LA etc,Many western adults are afraid to leave their car with good reason.

3 There is lot more crime than appreciated in Bangkok.like all huge cities there are crooks

4 However I feel far safer in many other cities Doha Wellington singapore or Tokyo thats a major reason with pollution I moved from Sukhumvit to the mekhong.

5 Even if imaprtial? What is measured,we all know there is no prostitution,coruption but five minutes in tourist spots will see scams and thousands per hour with no crash helmet .

Are we measuring rapes murder and burglary .land deals,fag ends or some Alien bold enough to pay double without his original pssport at all times

6 If they wanted to clear up crime theres video evidence of thousands of yobs illegally occupying that overpriced taxi shelter called Swampy.

At least its not SE London even the english have given up there

Bangkok's still about 1,000,000 times safer than most big cities in the western world.

Oh really. Please quote your source :) or is that just your own possibly naive perception of BKK?

Typical response! The guy was passing a comment which is to all intents and purposes is correct. Why bother having a go? Too many people on here taking too many and unecessary cheap shots! If you have nothing to say... Say nothing!

If you have nothing to say... Say nothing!

Suggest you re-read the thread I have plenty to say on the TOPIC. What have u contributed to this topic discussion apart from that one waste of a post. Sweet FA it looks like to me.

Edited by namoo

I agree. I always feel safer in any area of Thailand compaired to the USA. True every place in the world has it's problems but Thailand always seems different.

Also agree. It isn't 100% heaven, but largely it does feel safer than many other big cities I have visited. I used to live up the road from Lat Prao.

On the issue of safety, Bangkok is NOTHING like what it was 20 years ago. It has become an overly expensive and crime-stricken city. This place has degraded so much to the point where I no longer recommend it to friends. Anyone who has lived here as long as I have will probably agree with me that a lot has changed, but not for the better. Those of you saying, "it's safe" -- well, just know that many violent crimes aren't reported in the English press. The Thai local press is riddled with this stuff. Compared to many other western cities, Bangkok is anything BUT safe. Go talk to the locals, they will tell you exactly how it is.

I've been here full time since '92. A little bit more expensive, but not by much. I also make more money. Still as safe as ever. Can't speak from experience about vice-laden areas though, not my thing.

Very suprised to see that none of the areas heavily populated with or visited by Farang are on the list. Could be a cover-up. But I think more likely it really means those are safe areas. Also nice to see a TVer who lives in the riskiest spot saying he has had no problems in two years. I've never had a safety problem anywhere in Thailand that was a random act involving strangers. I suspect those types of problems are far far less common here than in thee west. The Thais might love ripping us off and taking advantage of us, but I just don't think random acts of crime are in their nature. This really is one of the safest places in the world to live, so long as you don't go out and cause/make problems.

It seems that there are one or two posters that have lived in these supposed 'riskiest' areas.

Well, i can go one better than that, i have in days gone by, lived in both Lad Phrao soi 101 & Sukhumvit soi 105 (soi lasanne).

Seeing as these are no.1 & no.3 on the list, i guess i have lived in the most dangerous areas of Bangkok.

Never had or seen any trouble in these areas and as you can see, i am still here :)

ok wow. So I thought I would click on this link so I could see where to stay away from. Since I dress like a tourist (tshirt and cargo shorts) and am almost as white as ivory with blonde hair, I stick out quite a bit. Anyway, I was quite shocked to see Lat Phrao on there since I live on soi 130 and frequently walk to mall bangkapi on Lat Phrao and walk back (even at night). I have walked around after a few liters of leo after eating at "The Fish" on soi 130 and lat phrao. which is just about right in the middle of the two Lat Phrao soi's (and accross the street) that are mentioned in the article.

I have heard of a few issues from my Thai friend where a foreigner (he thinks british or american) got a bit frisky with his sister (grabbed her hand and tried to talk her into coming to his condo building, or similar stuff. Maybe because I am tall and not skinny or that I don't wear any jewelry or watch and regularly eat off the carts and don't look rich. who knows.

Well I won't be going down those Soi's since there is nothing that I want to see down there but this was quite a surprise since I have had more problems in Pratunam (attemped pick pocket, tuk tuk holiday free ride scam, meter not working taxi, etc etc.).

I agree. I always feel safer in any area of Thailand compaired to the USA. True every place in the world has it's problems but Thailand always seems different.

In order to make such comments you have to look at statistics from reliable sources and then quote them in your postings, one's own private opinion is of little value when it comes to estimating crime in a major city like BKK.

Hey Flangs

Stay away from the Thong Lor area of Sukhumwit. Its the No1 shakedown area for BiB demanding to see you passport (they wont accept photocopy) or else B2000 and frog march you to the ATM :D :D :D :D :D :D

This information is actually helpful. Thanks. B2000 is a lot of bahts. A few of those stops in a day and the BIB is sitting pretty good, I would think. But, I will now stay away from that area or... maybe carry my passport. Hah sip, Hah sip? :) OC

"Feeling safer" and actually being safer are very different. If you stay in your home and/or do not stay out late at night of course you will have the perception of "feeling safer". It is simply a product of the human condition dealing with perception which serves as some peoples reality. Go out late at night in an unlit area of Bangkok while not paying attention to what going on around you, eventually your reality will change.

This other guy who thinks Bangkok is a million times safer the most places in the western world is of course delusional. He is the one who does not keep informed about the world around him and his rational thought comes into question from time to time. His global observation has as much forethought as another blanket statement we see on these pages too often. "She's different", the battle cry of the next victim in the love and war threads.

The police hierarchy loves to spout crime prevention and tout their successes real and imagined. Do not take anything that is released to the press at face value. In a weak economy (hard times) crime WILL increase. Figures can be manipulated or simply ignored. When a report is taken the police can report a lesser offense or not tabulate it at all. Knowing what goes on around here I suspect reports are "kissed off" with tales of, "there is nothing we can do" or "you don't want anyone to know about this", etc.

My concern is that crimes reported to the police are not widely reported to the public. The ones that are reported are usually ones that have been solved and captains of police on up are doing a lot of smiling, pointing, back slapping while talking on there mobile telephones for the news cameras. The majority of major crimes we can never know about because the nation will lose face and it will hurt tourism. The crimes we should really know about that occur in our neighborhoods are not reported in the press. Therefore we cannot take precautions or evasive action because of the lack of information. Is it just me or are there too many farang taking the "Pattaya Plunge" or shooting themselves twice in the head when committing suicide here in Thailand?

Thanks for your "OPINION". next. :)

Wow I live on Lat Phrao 101 and have been for over 2 years....I have never had anything stolen or ran into any trouble there....Maybe because I'm old and sleep early..

Dan :D

Hi Dan your house has got bars like a prison, you have a dog and you have security guard going into the soi (a good one) and you have poor reception on your mobile in the kitchen! O.K.

And you have a good position in a Thai company.....(position of power )

You know I live on 62 my neighbors (who are there all day) are less than 10 foot away from my front door and have security cameras looking at my house and the entrance gate yet said they saw nothing!

I'm confused. Is it me or is something missing? :)