Can Americans Own Land In Thailand

I had an interesting conversation with some friends the other day and during the conversation was told that American citizens can own land in Thailand. I was amazed as every website or property agent I had ever spoken too had categorically stated that foriegners cannot own land in Thailand in their own personal names. I have since done a search and various websites and other forums and what I can gather is that a treaty known as the "Thai Amity Treaty of 1968" between Thailand and the USA includes amoungst other things that US citizens have the right to own land in Thailand. However, there were various responses to this which added that it applies only to American corporations only, or yes it does apply to individuals but when you approach lawyers etc for clarification then it is not possible for any foriegner US included to own land etc etc. As usual there is never a clear cut answer and of course I could not find any responses from any US individual claiming to currently own land in his or hers own personal name due to this treaty. Can anyone substantiate this claim backed up with evidence or lay it to rest. BTW im not a US citizen nor intend to become one.

The treaty of amity allows Americans to own 100% of their firms in restricted businesses. However, they are not classed as Thai firms, and thus are still not allowed to purchase land.

There are exceptions to this though when legitimate companies are involved. The Board of Investment may allow qualifying firms to purchase land for the director's residence, head office, and a factory. They can also grant land ownership privileges to qualifying firms who will build and own a hotel so long as it has at least 100 rooms.

Edited: changed font size

Edited by stgrhe

The treaty of amity allows Americans to own 100% of their firms in restricted businesses. However, they are not classed as Thai firms, and thus are still not allowed to purchase land.

There are exceptions to this though when legitimate companies are involved. The Board of Investment may allow qualifying firms to purchase land for the director's residence, head office, and a factory. They can also grant land ownership privileges to qualifying firms who will build and own a hotel so long as it has at least 100 rooms.

Edited: changed font size

the man speaks the truth

"I had an interesting conversation...and...was told that American citizens can own land in Thailand."

That's sounds like a very interesting conversation - excuse me, did I nod off?

There is a method to buy land if you investment a lot of money (40M THB, I think), for a period of time (5 years, I think), in certain Thai financial instruments (governmentally-issued bonds, I think). I haven't done it, I don't know who has, and I don't remember reading that any TV member had done so.

I thought that America owned the world anyway :)

We do...and it's all mortgaged through AIG, Country Wide, Bank of America, etc., and backed by trillions of dollars from the Federal Reserve. Sure hope we don't have to sell-off a couple of countries to make some interest payments due! Any body want to make an Ebay bid on Dubai? :D