Buying A Dog

INTJ

Hi,

Looking at buying a dog, but I've heard some stories about sick animals in the markets that will cost a fortune in vets bills later down the line, is there any truth to this ?

Can anyone recommend somewhere with a good selection of healthy farang dogs, looking for something on the big side.

I was thinking about a Rottweiler, but having 2 small children don't know if thats such a good idea, any thoughts on this ? Might have to go with a Labrador, although I would have preferred something a bit more unusual. Any suggestions ?

Also some idea of cost, of the animal, and the vets (injections etc).

Many Thanks,

INTJ

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to get some Thai dog magazines, they are full of advertisements with breeders. The market is not a good decision, the dogs are usually the left overs from the litter, have been weened to soon and are high candidates for distemper and other immune related problems......To lose a puppy is no fun...

You should get a puppy which is about 12 weeks old has had his vaccinations ( the last set of vaccinations is at 16 weeks)...Rottweilers are great dogs, I had 2 now one....But with 2 small children, a labrador might be more appropriate...Have a look through the magazines....lots of amazing dogs being bred in Thailand. Do not put too much importance on Pedigree...it is a scam...Good luck ! :o

I've heard many stories of the dogs at JJ market being prone to disease, but I think conditions have been improving there over the years. I would still get a dog from a reputable kennels though.

I suggest the Thais not having all there businesses set up with websites that you try to source some kennel addresses from the dog magazines (always seem them in Robinsons), I always do this when looking for tropical fish shops (my own particular vice). They are always in Thai but sure you can get someone to translate them for you and some have web addresses that are otherwise hard to find in the Search engines.

Rottweilers I always thought were pretty good with kids, my Aunt has one that was fine with her toddler. Although if they are agressive they have the size to be dangerous I don't think they have a particulary aggressive nature, and a lot of it depends on the upbringing of the dog anyway.

I have seen some lovely 'husky' style dogs here, for about 500 quid each, but personally I would have to go for a Thai ridgeback dog though not sure how they are with kids as I tend to see them used mainly as guard dogs.

A couple of the dog shops on 3rd road seem ok, The wife bought a shitzu from one called "dog enjoy" 18 months ago.

I bought a 12 week old english bull terrier from the market last week and she's very strong with all vaccs etc.

For rottwielers, the 1st cd's/music shop on the RH side of second rd (going across pattaya tai) is where mine came from about 3 years ago. The owner there breeds them (her pedigree goes back to gt gt gt grandparents in germany)

and

Hi, thanks for all the quick replies.

Dave, I saw an english bull on Thai telly the other week. They're an unusual dog, how much did you pay for it ? Also, do you know if it is possible to buy a Staffordshire Bull Terrier here ?

Also the cost of the Rotties, and any comments as to the temperament (especially around children.)

Cheers

I'm not an expert but i think if you as you have kids already the rotty will be fine with them and will grow to protect them, mine is completely stupid (hates scruffy thai men though :o )

I paid 13500 for the english bull and she's beautiful (here's a pic)2005_0405Image0029.sized.jpg

Bought from pattaya tai market

As some other posters say, stick with reputable breeders and avoid the JJ market dogs. It's not just the physical disabilities which could present themselves down the road but the mental problems as well; some of those cute puppies could turn out to be nasty in the future.

As for breeds you should do your homework. The net, dog magazines and dog encyclopedias are a good bet. Although Rottwielers, Bull Terriers and Dobermans are often praised for their loyalty and bravery, they rarely make good family dogs. Unless you're an experienced dog owner with a dog of solid bloodline, you're taking a BIG risk. Even the humble, fun-loving Labradors have gone nuts and bitten kids. Overbreeding of many common breeds (due to popularity) has resulted in a poor gene pool. The German Shepard is another example; these dogs are often either too aggressive, too passive or suffer from hip dysplasia after about seven years which is why many of them walk with their rear ends slumped down.

Also consider the climate...Thailand is a tropical country and the high heat, humidity and insects would not be good for dogs such as German Shepards, Huskies and the like. Short haired dogs generally do well, particularly if they are not too large and are well cared for.

If you live in Bangkok or any other urban area, you won't have much if any outdoor space for a dog to run around in so that will limit how big of an animal you could keep. A bored dog will turn your house or apartment into a dump in no time. A small dog or better yet a cat would be good for urban areas...small dogs need less space and cats of course are small and more or less take care of themselves.

I know many people who have had rotties with children, with no problem. However they are very protective, so if you have other children playing chasing games etc with yours then be careful.

If you are getting a large dog like a rottie or a german shepherd watch out for hip problems. I have a gorgeous german shepherd who cannot walk for more than 5 mins without being very miserable. Vets can x-ray to check for this problem. It is hereditory so check out the parents if you can.

I can just imagine Dave walking this thing down Walking Street in the evening :D

2004_0106Image0014.sized.jpg

I would ensure that the dog never leaves the house dressed like that :D

Women? :D:o

Actually this dog is a right f**ker (taught by the wife) :D

I'm thinking you might want to rephrase that :D

It'll be in the Thai news clippings next week:

Pattaya landlord of popular blues bar caught on bestiality charge!

DaveThailand said "well it all started when the wife bought the dog some hotpants." :D

I'm not an expert but i think if you as you have kids already the rotty will be fine with them and will grow to protect them, mine is completely stupid (hates scruffy thai men though :D )

I paid 13500 for the english bull and she's beautiful (here's a pic)2005_0405Image0029.sized.jpg

Bought from pattaya tai market

Hehe, funny looking :D He looks like a cross between a dog and a pig. :o

This is our dog's mom. She figured she was fed regularly at our place so decided to move in with us a few months ago. She just had a litter of 7. Very friendly, she never once growled when I handle the pups. 2 are black, 2 are white and 3 are white and spotted.

gallery_6606_73_126035.jpg

This little guy always sleeps this way, looks like a cross between a seal and a dog

gallery_6606_73_73539.jpg

This guy looks like a cross between a hippopotamus, a guinea pig, a holstein cow and a dog :o

gallery_6606_73_57848.jpg

The neighbour wants to take 2 of them up north, we'll keep the holstein, there are 4 left to give away if anyone's interested. We're in Chonburi.

Penz :D

These are mine:

A Rottweiler(imported) and a young Boxer(female, from BKK).

Rottweilers need a good training and need a lot of time for socialicing. Very protective and my wife loves him, they love each other.

Max_und_Puean_an_der_Mauer.sized.jpg

mutterliebe2.sized.jpg

sharing a pizza:

pizza.jpg

This is how your garden will look like:

Goldgraeber.jpg

.....but can you be angry when he looks at you like this:

PHTO0023.jpg

Have a good time with your new dog and spent enough time with him.

Best wishes,

Gerd

Hi, thanks for all the quick replies.

Dave, I saw an english bull on Thai telly the other week. They're an unusual dog, how much did you pay for it ? Also, do you know if it is possible to buy a Staffordshire Bull Terrier here ?

Also the cost of the Rotties, and any comments as to the temperament (especially around children.)

Cheers

Toddy on the forum has Stsffordshire pups, they are now ready at this moment, and also well bred, his wife has a bar in Buriram called woodstock & vine, the dogs are in Buriram,

I can just imagine Dave walking this thing down Walking Street in the evening :D

2004_0106Image0014.sized.jpg

I would ensure that the dog never leaves the house dressed like that :D

Women? :D:o

Actually this dog is a right f**ker (taught by the wife) :D

I'm thinking you might want to rephrase that :D

It'll be in the Thai news clippings next week:

Pattaya landlord of popular blues bar caught on bestiality charge!

DaveThailand said "well it all started when the wife bought the dog some hotpants." :D

:D:D:D

I have asked on the Issarn forum, i am looking for two Bulldog pups, what are these thai dog magazine websites ?, as i may find something in there, any info would be appreciated, I would rather go to a breeder. thanks guys.

As I say I'm always looking for fish farms/breeders in Thailand and I find better than searching for them on the net is to get a related magazine and find them in there.

The dog magazines are all in Thai language but advertise loads of breeders and a lot of them have websites which are in English as the fish ones often are. Anyway, at least the websites and magazine ads will have tel phone numbers so you can call up and contact the people for yourself.

I don't think the websites are really made for people searching for them on the net though so will take a lot of searching for.

I always see loads of dog magazines in the local robinsons store but I'm sure you can find them lots of places.

I'd love to have the Thai Ridgeback myself

Tha08.jpg

Edited by bkkmadness

Last year my neighbour gave me my first Thai Ridgeback, however some b'stds stole her from me last Songkran :o

I still miss you Junior

JuniorS.jpg

I brought my second Thai Ridgeback, Sumo from JJ Market for 3000 baht last October. However, within a week, she had collapsed in the heat. I quickly rushed her to the local vet, where they put her on a drip and said that it will be touch and go for her. I'm not sure what it is in English but they called it Lum Sai Acksep or something or other. (I'm sorry, have no idea how to spell it either) but she had constant diarrhoea and was often sick.

Well, a month down the line, after numerous trips to the vet and lots of medication she pulled through.

Here she is just after I bought her

100_1813.jpg

and here's Sumo now at seven months.

Sumo.jpg

Sumo seems to have shrunk somewhat :o

Hows there temperament? As I said before I only tend to see them when walking past a house and they rush the gates barking at me! :D

Of course, these are the guard dogs, but how are they as a family pet?

Can they be trained to attack my gf if she doesn't go the shop to get me some beer because that's an important factor in keeping a dog for me? :D

I know Thai Ridgebacks are very good guard dogs, but Sumo doesn’t seem to have grasped the art just yet. Apart from a small growl when someone new comes to visit, she doesn’t seem to do anything, a few sniffs and then they're her best friend. Still my Thai mutt J.D seems to be managing the job all by herself.

Dead intelligent though, didn’t take her long to pick up the basic commands, although not sure about attacking your gf if she doesn't get your beers for you.

Better idea still, you could probably train your Ridgeback to get the beers for you :o

Strong too, I was picking her up to put her in the back of my neighbours pick-up (vaccine time) and she head-butted me, gave me a blinding headache and my glasses looked as if they’d seen better days.

Talking of vaccines, I really did think that was the last jab she needed to have, but then the vet told me that she will need a heartworm jab once every two months, or if it's inconvenient for me to take her then I can get pills from them (however that would have to be monthly)

Sorry, for being ignorant is that what all dog owners do? I never did that with my Thai mutt JD and she's 4 and a half now.

Hi everyone,

I think its a bit of a gamble to buy a dog from JJ market or any pet shops here.There are websites for lots of breeders in Thailand and it pays to look at the kennels and the condition of the other dogs.

We have a pedigree English bulldog and after looking at the breeders in BKK,about 30 kennels,we decided on a pup that wasnt the most expensive but was healthy and both parents could be checked out.If anyone needs advice on Bulldogs PM me and Il try and help you out.

Nice Bullie there Dave,Reminds me of Peckham!!!