Buying A Dog

INTJ

Sitting here with hubby so I asked him what Lum Sai Acksep was, he said Lum Sai is the intestinal tract and acksep can mean swollen or bruised. Don't know if it is caused by some illness or not, but at least it gives you a (slightly) better idea of the problem.

We have all local dogs and they are wonderful pets and terrific guard dogs. Scruffy has already made an appearance in the ladies section but the rest are just as lovely. Here are Tigger and her sister Sheba. shebatigger.sized.jpg

I know Thai Ridgebacks are very good guard dogs, but Sumo doesn’t seem to have grasped the art just yet.  Apart from a small growl when someone new comes to visit, she  doesn’t seem to do anything, a few sniffs and then they're her best friend.  Still my Thai mutt J.D seems to be managing the job all by herself.

Dead intelligent though, didn’t take her long to pick up the basic commands, although not sure about attacking your gf if she doesn't get your beers for you.

Better idea still, you could probably train your Ridgeback to get the beers for you  :o

Strong too, I was picking her up to put her in the back of my neighbours pick-up (vaccine time) and she head-butted me, gave me a blinding headache and my glasses looked as if they’d seen better days.

Talking of vaccines, I really did think that was the last jab she needed to have, but then the vet told me that she will need a heartworm jab once every two months, or if it's inconvenient for me to take her then I can get  pills from them (however that would have to be monthly)

Sorry, for being ignorant is that what all dog owners do? I never did that with my Thai mutt JD and she's 4 and a half now.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like parvovirus....

random how much do u inject your dogs: goats get 1.00 ml per 25 kilo orally but of the injectable solution (just easier)... i prefer other wormers for carnivores (dogs) the ivo is not very effective says my goat vet....

to the OP, any well bred (i.e. good tempered parents, not just 'impressive'pedigree) dog is usually ok with family but remember, the bigger the dog, the more u must train and socialize since a small dog w/a bad habit is small, u can shove it or put it in a box, a large dog can get out of hand; never never leave infant alone w/large dog that has any chasing/hunting/guarding instincts they can become confused and take the baby as a toy (many accidents in israel due to stupid people, the dog was just doing what comes naturally );

saw an interesting thai dog site on the net (not the thai ridgie but a small 'fancy' type) ?

linked it on an other thread (the one with the barking dog problem)

to the guy w/the ridgie pup: guarding doesnt mean growling; it means warning of intruders and even looking aggressive but knowing how to distinguish between intruders and 'wanted' people: our canaanis recognize my car from all the other subaru tenders ; will wag tail at children and women but woe be any large male with anything in his hand.....

none of them know how to bring us a cold drink unfortunately :o

:o astral

native dogs have great characters, are intelligent, strong and robust and perfectly accustomed to the climate. they come in many shapes, colours and sizes, just make your pick and you will have a very loyal and interesting pet!

if you insist on a particular breed try to find a hobby breeder, don't buy at petshops or markets, most of the dogs there come from dog farms where they lead a horrible life and the reckless breeders don't care about genetic disorders. often the pups are already full of antibiotics and other chemistry to make up for poor conditions. :D

this is lucky, when I found him almost 3 years ago he was very sick and ugly, could not get up or walk and had no hair. he is the fittest of the bunch (jumps over 2m wall :D ) and can run and swim forever.

sorry posting a pic through ImageShack doesn't work anymore :D

Edited by elfe

Hi Guys,

Need some help.Im new here and tried to post a pic of my dog,but dont have a clue how to do it!!Would appreciate it.Thanks.

I think the risk of buying a dog here is high,the majority of breeders are in it for the money and therefore the kennels are farms!Even the kennels with good breeding stock can be a bit dodgy.

I agree with previous posters,if you can take a dog off the street and give it a good life,go ahead.If you walk into a vets with a sick soi dog,the treatment is usually cheap,when we take our Bulldog to the vets,the price goes up!

There is a dog breeder/farm about half an hour away from me doing Labs, golden retrivers and the Thai ridgebacks. We poped in once for a look and to be honest they had some beautiful looking animals there it was very clean and the dogs looked well cared for. It was reflected in the prices though :o

I bought 2 supposed rotwielder/alsation crosses at JJ market once 250 bhat each lovely dogs pity you cant vaccinate agains lorrys :D

Just stick to "thai" dogs now that are usually given to us.

I'd love a pair of Irish Wolf hounds though but I dont think you can get them here.

Hi Guys,

Need some help.Im new here and tried to post a pic of my dog,but dont have a clue how to do it!!Would appreciate it.Thanks.

I think the risk of buying a dog here is high,the majority of breeders are in it for the money and therefore the kennels are farms!Even the kennels with good breeding stock can be a bit dodgy.

I agree with previous posters,if you can take a dog off the street and give it a good life,go ahead.If you walk into a vets with a sick soi dog,the treatment is usually cheap,when we take our Bulldog to the vets,the price goes up!

Look for MY CONTROLS at the top left of this page. Left click on it and right click on OPEN IN NEW WINDOW. It will take you to your controls page. You ll have to activate your ALBUMS, on left of your screen in the INVISION GALLERY section.

Make sure the box is ticked where it says, ALLOW OTHERS TO VIEW MY ALBUMS.

...Now, if only I could figure out how to quote more than one person in my posts  :o

Click on this blue "+Quote" button: bluequote9oe.jpg

It will change to red, like this: redquotebuttons2nf.jpg which indicates that the post has been selected for quoting.

You can do that to any number of posts. (There may be a maximum, but I don't know it). If you click the button again, it will go blue again, meaning that the post has been deselected.

Then, click the "Add reply" button: addreplybutton9cv.jpg

...and all the posts you've selected will appear in your edit box.

There are actually some legendary Thai dog breeders and I know two German Shepherd breeders who have bred dogs here and travelled with them to Germany for the Sieger show and taken high titles. Pedigrees FROM THE KENNEL CLUB mean nothing in my opinion (look at the extremely poor quality of Rottweillers and Shepherds in the UK). Basically Kennel Club Papers too easy to acquire and only prove that the dog is of the breed specified but is no indication of quality. Thankfully the Thais in their wisdom tend to use breed specific clubs from the country of origin. Therefore it is hard to find a Kennel Club registered Shepherd in Thailand but easy to find one registered with The German Shepherd Association of Thailand. This is a good thing as here you have to x-ray the dog's hips and only then can you breed if you want papers for the offspring. Also before the mating takes place you must inform the club. Conclusion: in Thailand dogs with pedigrees other than those of The Kennel Club tend to be of good quality. If you let me know which breed you are interested in, I can PM you with reputable breeder details. Rotties tend to have a rock solid temperament with kids as do Shepherd / Dobermanns but I am talking quality bred animals at 40,000 baht plus. Depends how serious you are but to me a good dog is priceless here. I walk anywhere at any time of night and always have because people just don't want the hassle of hassling a guy with a big dog. I have two Irish Staffordshire Terriers, the wife has two German Shepherds (Thanutchar bloodlines ie Khorat Police) and a Thai mixed breed.

to the guy w/the ridgie pup:

Just to let you know....

I'm a girl :D

...Now, if only I could figure out how to quote more than one person in my posts  :o

Click on this blue "+Quote" button: bluequote9oe.jpg

It will change to red, like this: redquotebuttons2nf.jpg which indicates that the post has been selected for quoting.

Hey it works,

Cheers for that RDN :D

oh, ok.... sorry never assume.................the ridgie looks like a phoenician hound (egypt)or an ibizan hound (spanish)actually, its the face and the wrinkles....

really like the look, its like the canaani (hardy, intelligent independant ) but smoother and i like smooth and muscular natural type dogs (even though i own two boxers with completely unnatural squashed noses).

random u can use insulin syringes in units: each syringe is 1.o mil devided into UNITS... thats how i do the rabbits per kilo

• 3 weeks later...

I want to reiterate the suggestion that you look at some of the strays running around the country and consider adopting one of them instead of buying from a breeder. There are some reputable shelters that will give you a healthy, vaccinated, spayed/neutered dog, and instead of giving your money to a breeder, you'll be saving an animal's life. Check this link for a partial list. Any dog you can buy from a breeder, you'll be able to find in a shelter if you're patient enough. Dog overpopulation is a serious problem worldwide, and Thailand is certainly no exception; when you support breeding, you add to that problem. I don't want to come across like I'm pointing the finger at anyone here, it's just that I've seen the dark side of cute little puppies far too much in my line of work. For every one you buy from a breeder, there are ten dead ones as a result of poor or non-existent animal welfare practices. You can save one of those instead, and help take the incentive out of breeding. I guess I'm a bit of an idealist.

I love Thai ridgebacks, ever since I first saw some over there. I know if I end up making the move to Thailand, I'll probably end up with even more dogs than I already have (shudder); I'm currently waiting on info from a pet relocation service. One thing I do know -- when I get over there, my dogs will have no contact with the local dogs. Be careful in Phuket especially. All the dogs I have currently are strays that I took in, and they are great dogs, plus they seem to somehow know that I saved their lives.

Here's an example of a 'mutt' in Thailand; I took this picture in Khao Sok. This dog and another one similar to him went on some hikes with me while I was there. Friendly, healthy, and I think a really beautiful animal. Not all the local dogs are sick and ill-tempered.

thai%20dog%20sm.jpg

Edited by stevemarkwell

Dog overpopulation is a serious problem worldwide, and Thailand is certainly no exception;

You can say that again.

There are two types of dog lovers here, our type who have the mutts vacinated and look after them and the vast majority whose idea of dog ownership is never let them inside the house (not surprised really, they are full of fleas, ticks and sarcoptic mange), feed them now and again, it goes without saying they are never neutered so thats why there are so many of them.

I read in the paper some time ago that some well meaning old bag in Bangkok fed about a hundred of these pests everyday, if she wants a donation of money for poison just let her phone me.

If it was up to me I would have a cull every year or so to rid the place of these sometimes vicious animals

It's truly unfortunate, because there just isn't the manpower to deal with the situation. Spay and neuter clinics are struggling to make an impact, and it's certainly true that there are aggressive dogs running in packs in some cities (in Los Angeles too). I had some problems with dogs in Cha-am, trying to take cheap shots at me whenever I turned my back. I rehabilitate aggressive dogs, and work them into a socialized and people-friendly pack, but there are so many strays everywhere I go, I have to approach what I do as a service to the individual animals lucky enough to come home with me -- certainly nothing even remotely approaching a broad societal impact. Although if you look at the reproduction rate exponentially, I guess just by spaying/neutering them it makes a pretty significant dent.

I guess just by spaying/neutering them it makes a pretty significant dent.

Not if the vet is any good it does't, just a small scar.

I hear what you say but life is too short the only way you will deal with the dog problem here is by culling them.

The roads here are full of dead dogs, not quite full enough in my opinion, you do of course realise that rabies is endemic here as a friend of mine found out a few weeks ago when one of these charming creatures bit him on the back of the leg, a full course of rabies jabs was required.

The Thai way of caring for dogs leaves a lot to be desired even in public parks there are stall holders who feed these strays adding to the problem.

In the UK many years ago we had the same problem with stray dogs the local councils brought in dog wardens to round up these packs of dogs.

I tell you one thing there are no stray dogs where I used to live now and a good job too.

If you think I am anti dog think again we are owned by ten yes 10 of the mutts all small and well behaved (well most of the time) vacinated and looked after.

I want to reiterate the suggestion that you look at some of the strays running around the country and consider adopting one of them instead of buying from a breeder.  There are some reputable shelters that will give you a healthy, vaccinated, spayed/neutered dog, and instead of giving your money to a breeder, you'll be saving an animal's life. Check this link for a partial list. Any dog you can buy from a breeder, you'll be able to find in a shelter if you're patient enough.  Dog overpopulation is a serious problem worldwide, and Thailand is certainly no exception; when you support breeding, you add to that problem.  I don't want to come across like I'm pointing the finger at anyone here, it's just that I've seen the dark side of cute little puppies far too much in my line of work.  For every one you buy from a breeder, there are ten dead ones as a result of poor or non-existent animal welfare practices.  You can save one of those instead, and help take the incentive out of breeding.  I guess I'm a bit of an idealist.

I love Thai ridgebacks, ever since I first saw some over there.  I know if I end up making the move to Thailand, I'll probably end up with even more dogs than I already have (shudder); I'm currently waiting on info from a pet relocation service.  One thing I do know -- when I get over there, my dogs will have no contact with the local dogs.  Be careful in Phuket especially.  All the dogs I have currently are strays that I took in, and they are great dogs, plus they seem to somehow know that I saved their lives.

Here's an example of a 'mutt' in Thailand; I took this picture in Khao Sok.  This dog and another one similar to him went on some hikes with me while I was there.  Friendly, healthy, and I think a really beautiful animal.  Not all the local dogs are sick and ill-tempered.

thai%20dog%20sm.jpg

steve thanks for this post, i wish more people would see dogs from this perspective.

the dogrescue center here in samui for example is full of beautiful, healthy and lovely dogs. also lots of very cute puppies and cats :o

Fancy a dip?

dogsnaiharndscn7172c1mw.jpg

Honestly, I wouldn't mind, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Elfe, or anybody, what's the situation with cats in Thailand? It's been my experience that areas with a lot of street dogs don't seem to have many cats running around, which makes sense, but is that the case there? I don't recall seeing all that many cats, but maybe there are more out in the evenings.

Fancy a dip?

dogsnaiharndscn7172c1mw.jpg

Honestly, I wouldn't mind, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Elfe, or anybody, what's the situation with cats in Thailand? It's been my experience that areas with a lot of street dogs don't seem to have many cats running around, which makes sense, but is that the case there? I don't recall seeing all that many cats, but maybe there are more out in the evenings.

why not? the dogs here don't use the sea as a toilet (other than some other specie :o ), they have other preferred spots and ticks and flea don't get washed off by the sea(unfortunately).

as for cats, there are a lot of cats around but they aren't as much in your face as dogs. lots of run over cats on the roads as well... and surely they don't run around together with the soi dogs :D

Edited by elfe